What is the meaning of this picture

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

What is the meaning of this picture

Post by Bet51987 »

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: What is the meaning of this picture

Post by flip »

Afterlife.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Perhaps it's meant to be indicative of a dream, perhaps an afterlife, perhaps some sort of mystical journey; I'm not sure.

In any case, the woman at the window seems to be leaving the one in the bed behind, so the word that comes to mind for me is "memory".
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Someone exercising his/hers Photoshop skills. W/o the overlay and processed differently the pics could have had some real impact. Waste of some good material IMHO.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Grendel wrote:Someone exercising his/hers Photoshop skills. W/o the overlay and processed differently the pics could have had some real impact. Waste of some good material IMHO.
!?!?
I think it's fine.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I see what Gren is after there and I agree. I like the image as it is, but it would be more impactful without the "ghost figure" in the image.

Over all a very nice use of black and white imagery. content-wise, if you wanted continue along the same theme, have the secondary image more opaque with another figure (person) leading her away from the body.
The younger version standing in front of a bright window suggests "looking into the light" or heading into, it's a bit distracting though as far as the flow of the picture goes.

Secondary thought.
If you have 2 ghost figures in the image, it would make sense for them to head toward the window, but it would flow better for them to be heading toward the right side of the picture. I would suggest reblocking the setup.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

"Rebirth" was the first word to come to my mind.

edit: My reasoning after the fact is the medical equipment in the room and the young woman standing near the window juxtaposed with the elderly woman in the bed.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Naruto Shippuuden #193.

Yes, I am a huge whore.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

It doesn't mean anything.
Zero, Behemoth, FOIL, Terminal, Neo. The greatest pilots in the universe. :P
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

To me it shows the old woman having died, and she leaves her body how she feels (young and beautiful) and stands at the window.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

She killed that old lady!

:P

It means that being overcome by age and eventually death is only a physical condition. That girl at the window--herself in her prime--is who she is.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Come to think of it the window adds something to it that my first explanation (my first real explanation) doesn't really account for. Considering the possibility that she's still alive...

It's the ageless woman inside of her longing in vain to return outside--to life, while held captive by her tired, old, physical body that is all but spent.
minmay
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by minmay »

The picture demonstrates beyond doubt that ghosts, despite being insubstantial, can still damage their bodies by wearing a corset incorrectly.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Starcraft cloaked ghost comes back to finish what she started.... :P
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Bee, I thought of this poem when I saw the picture. It gave me comfort after my mother passed away.

ASCENSION

And if I go,
while you're still here...
Know that I live on,
vibrating to a different measure
--behind a thin veil you cannot see through.
You will not see me,
so you must have faith.
I wait for the time when we can soar together again,
--both aware of each other.
Until then, live your life to its fullest.
And when you need me,
Just whisper my name in your heart,
...I will be there.

"Ascension"
Copyright ©1987, Colleen Corah Hitchcock
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

You may want to check out some of Richard Feynman's lectures. Time as you know it is bound to the physical properties of this universe.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Bee, here's a recent book on parallel universe theory by physicist Brian Greene. One of his musings is if the universe is infinitely big, matter can only rearrange itself in so many permutations and matter will consequently have to repeat itself in similar ways. In other words, infinite parallel universes within a mulitverse. It boggles the mind with possibilities.

Out of curiosity, are you wondering about the universe in general physics theory or human existentialism? Are you questioning why we exist and for what purpose? Existence beyond physical death? God? Your picture seems to be indicating a question more along the lines of our existence and place within the universe than just pure physics. Has something happened in your life that's made you question things?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Bee I just gained an immense amount of respect for you. Being subjected to persecution and public humiliation for not bowing to the will of another's mind is commendable. No one has it figured out Bee with 100% certainty, and that's what life is all about. A personal journey of your own to forge out and determine your own way, hopefully striving for it to be an honest one. No one man is any greater than another. The ones who accepted you for challenging things that don't quite make sense are your friends, shun the rest.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

This may end up in E&C, but here goes:

Bee, even though I'm not religious, or belong to any religion, I still believe in some higher power, that we do have some purpose, and that when we die, there may be another plane of existence we end up in. I have no proof of these beliefs or ideas, nor do I listen to the "proofs" that mainstream religions espouse.

I have my own beliefs after much thought, experience, contemplation, and dealing with the death of my mother. She too, sought comfort in religion when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Funny how facing death will affect the mind that way. We all need to be sure that there is not just a big NOTHING after death. But she too, found religion wanting for her, no good answers, especially since she'd never been a long time member of any church. Oh, we dabbled in the Methodist Church when I was young, but I think that was because families were expected to go to church in the 1950's. Conformism was the watchword back then.

I have seen and heard too many stories of ghosts, out of body experiences, near death experiences and weird otherworldly happenings that science can't explain and which has made me pause and think about life and existence. I've even experienced some otherworldly weirdness myself. My mother passed away in her bedroom. Weeks later when my siblings and I were cleaning out her clothes, my brother's dog happened to come into the room. This dog was normally fun loving, slobbery and jovial, UNTIL he came into this particular bedroom. All of a sudden, he shied and whined and tried to leave the room. No amount of coaxing would get him to stay in the room. Why? The smell of death? I don't know, the room smelled normal to me, but I don't have a dog's nose. But I'd like to think that a better explanation was that my mother's spirit was still there, trying to say goodbye and having an absolute fit, because she hated my brother's dog being in her normally clean house! I even have a picture of my mother framed with that very poem I gave you. I find it comforting.

Your experience is precisely why I do not belong to any religious affiliation or church. If your thoughts or preconceived ideas of life, death, existence, the universe, and God don't fit their mold, you will be shunned, as you found, or worse, outright banished. Religions are just social groups that hold the same ideas amongst their members. If your ideas don't match theirs, you are not part of the group or welcome. I thought Christians were supposed to be loving, forgiving and inclusive, but mention that your an "Atheist" and you become persona non gratis. The door's not open for that you anymore, unless you come around and start believing in their idea or conception of God.

I find the reaction of your priest very disparaging and thoughtless. He's supposed to be your "friend" and "confidant", but then drops you like so much garbage when he finds out your an Atheist. Maybe he needs a good dose of humanity or sympathy, because he doesn't sound like a very good priest to me. When a friend abandons you at your time of need, they're really not your friend at all.You need to find someone genuine and thoughtful who can help you figure out what you think your place is in the universe is, especially if you can't come to terms on your own. Personally, I've found that dealing with this aspect of life on my own terms is the most satisfying and calming. I don't need some religion cramming their ideas down my throat. It only complicates and confuses things for me.

I also don't believe in Satan. He is just a concoction to excuse the evils that normally beset human nature, and to explain the "bad" or "mysterious" things that happen to all of us at times. He is also the "thing" that religions use to cause fear and conformism to sway others to their way of thinking within their group. Fear is how people get control of others, a tool.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Wow, Bet. Thank you for being open about something so personal. Reading your posts over the last few years about your relationship with your Dad, his faith, and your church, I can't imagine it was an easy subject to broach.

[@TC: from what I gather, the Chaplain (Lutheran who does rounds at her workplace?) and her father were understanding. It was the priest at her church that sounds like he reacted so harshly. Correct me if I'm wrong, B.]

Anyway, Bet: Many props for continuing your work of service despite the way you have been treated by some. May your openness be an example for people here.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You're right Foil. Fixed my bad above.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Bet51987 wrote: But I forgot that women have another sense that men lack and you tuned into it because we are so much smarter.
I'm hoping that's sarcasm? I was really enjoying reading your comments (even if I don't fully agree) - right up until I read that.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Nah, she wasn't taking a shot at men.

I'd say that was just a bit of "between-us-girls (but-I'll-say-it-aloud-with-a-wink-to-the-crowd)" dialogue. I'm still a dense guy sometimes, but I've learned a lot from my other half about reading female interaction. :wink:
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

....anyone wants to move to a different picture, I'm game... just saying...
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Bet51987 wrote:Exactly, I fixed it. I should have added the wink...

Bee

Got it - I am pretty dense when reading between the lines on what you ladies write - I can tell alot better in person :)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Grendel wrote:Someone exercising his/hers Photoshop skills. W/o the overlay and processed differently the pics could have had some real impact. Waste of some good material IMHO.
Bet51987 wrote:Grendel....so technical you are. :)
Well, personally I value a good photo higher than a collage that tries to push you into a certain way of thinking (a pretty obvious one in this case), hence some technical critique ;)
Bet51987 wrote:
Grendel wrote:You may want to check out some of Richard Feynman's lectures. Time as you know it is bound to the physical properties of this universe.
Exactly. OUR time is bounded by OUR universe and I use the term "universe" loosely. But I was talking about time that existed before
our universe (or other universes) came into being.
Well, the point is that there no time (as we know it) outside this universe since it's a property of it. Time came into existence when the universe started to exist and time will end w/ the universes demise. Differnt universes may have their own time that will be defined by the properties of those universes.

Good to see that you stick to your own conclusions tho, not many people do that anymore. If you are looking for different perspectives check out Carlos Castaneda. Fascinating.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Well, the point is that there no time (as we know it) outside this universe since it's a property of it. Time came into existence when the universe started to exist and time will end w/ the universes demise. Differnt universes may have their own time that will be defined by the properties of those universes.
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
The absurdity of both of these statements demands an open mind :)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Nah, ignorance will do for the latter :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Bet51987 wrote: @Tunnelcat...

I never intended to bring up my confession and wanted to stay with the nonspiritual aspect of that picture I posted so I was careful to steer my post to the physical. But I forgot that women have another sense that men lack and you tuned into it because we are so much smarter. :wink:

As far as religion goes I ask myself this: What loving God would send a good person to hell for an eternity of pain simply for not believing in him, while all the while never revealing his presence. I can't think of one.

I never believed in the nothing so I'm with you in that respect and the higher power you speak of could be the boy in the tub, but no matter what, I firmly believe that the birthing ground for universes was always there and you should take comfort in knowing that since there are endless universes to come there will be endless lives to be lived again.

Before I say goodbye to this thread, I need to make clear that my priest has been like a grandfather to me since I was born and we still love each other very much. However, he's also a hardline 70 year old Roman Catholic priest so I understood the position he was in. He can't have someone who doesn't believe in the trinity receiving the Eucharist or singing hymns like "Holy God, we praise thy name". I made it very tough on him but he still comes to supper at least three times a month and I still check on him when I'm driving by the rectory....where he always blesses me before I leave. He also has the belief that we will be together at death despite my huge doubts and I'm happy he feels that way.

Bee
I see the boys took exception your reference about a woman's "other sense". That "other sense", or "sixth sense" we have is something we can't explain or describe, but we know it when we see or feel it don't we Bee? :wink:. It may have something to do with women and their interconnected brain halves which gives us better bilateral use of our brains. Although this sense is mostly a woman thing, men can have it too, so don't feel left out.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles ... ixth-sense

As for your priest, it sounds like he's set in his ways and beliefs because he's had them for so long as a passionate practitioner of his faith, so I can't fault him for that. Old age tends to make the mind a little resistant to change or new ideas. It does sound like he still likes and cares about you, so that's comforting. I hope he can still be an influence in your life, as may you be an influence in his. I'm glad the poem had an impact. :)
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Nah, ignorance will do for the latter :P
Lol, so your imaginations are superior to my imaginations. :P One thing your imagination doesn't take into account that my imagination does is the spiritual aspect of man, which even staunch atheists admit exists. Where does the metaphysical fit in with just rock and dirt as your imagination implies?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Your imagination is running amok in a confined sapce. Rocks & dirt ? There's more than enough room in for everything you cited in my original statement if you would allow yourself to know what I'm talking about. :P
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Well first thing anyone here should know about me by now is I'm a plain speaker. I tend to ignore the obscure as more a defense mechanism than a real argument. I actually feel I'm a pretty down to earth guy, who tries to stay somewhere between there and my ideals. My imaginations are more based on what I can see, feel and touch than anything else. Yours are the ones that seems to be running amok. All that aside, It was a genuine question. How do you explain away the spiritual aspect of life that almost everyone admits to, and yet reconcile everything down to mathematics? (dirt&rocks;)
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

flip wrote:Well first thing anyone here should know about me by now is I'm a plain speaker.
What's that suppose to mean?
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Heh, second thing everyone knows is that Isaac's an ass :P