I don't like the flu vaccine

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

I don't like the flu vaccine

Post by snoopy »

I'm not gonna say that it isn't for everyone. I don't have any use for it... since I'm not afraid of the flu killing me. I'm also nervous about giving it to infants. The elderly can go to town on it, though.

There you go, Foil, I started a thread about it.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: I don't like the flu vaccine

Post by Spidey »

Until there is a law requiring you to take a flu shot…I wouldn’t worry about it.

I don’t like eggplant, but you don’t hear me complaining about it.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

The only flu shot I've ever received was the H1N1 vaccine last year, but since I didn't experience any side-effects at all from that, I'd have no qualms about receiving a regular annual flu shot. The only reason I never bothered to get one this year was because this flu season seemed like a very mild one.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I've been getting the flu shot every year for a while now, mostly because I can get it for free, and I haven't turned into a zombie. A couple of weeks ago, my roommate and his girlfriend had a nasty case of the stomach flu that I didn't pick up. In my case, I can't attribute that to adequate rest, plenty of exercise, or good diet. :P

Some years I'll have the normal side effects from the shot, feeling a little sick for one or two days. Note though that this is just from your immune system launching an effective response. (It's amazing how the worst symptoms of contagious diseases tend to be self-induced by our own immune systems.) It was mentioned in the other thread that you can "get the flu" from the flu shot, but this is apocryphal. The shot might give you some of the symptoms to some extent, but you don't have the flu in any real sense.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

kooooooooool-aid :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

A couple of weeks ago, my roommate and his girlfriend had a nasty case of the stomach flu that I didn't pick up.
How close a time period was it from the time you got the shot and your roommates got sick? ;).
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

People gotta stop consuming mixtures and chemicals just because everyone else tells them it's necessary.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Burlyman wrote:People gotta stop consuming mixtures and chemicals just because everyone else tells them it's necessary.
... And people gotta stop refusing beneficial things because Oprah or Jenny McCarthy told them "it's full of chemicals and stuff!".

Regarding the posted topic, parents refusing or delaying shots for their children are causing vaccination rates to drop, which is causing preventable outbreaks.

The anti-vaccination movement is at best, quackery, and at worst, responsible for totally-preventable disease and death.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

flip wrote:How close a time period was it from the time you got the shot and your roommates got sick? ;).
About four months. :P
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Jenny who?