Crysis 2 Demo is out

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Crysis 2 Demo is out

Post by Duper »

For those that might be interested.

the Crysis 2 demo is out for the PC and X360(again)

Choose your d/l location here:

http://www.ea.com/crysis-2/1/demo
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Crysis 2 Demo is out

Post by Jeff250 »

Ack, seems like the PS3 demo won't be out for two more weeks! I don't know if I really want to get into this game, but I think it would be nice to try the demo, walk around a bit, and enjoy the engine.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Just downloaded it. The demo is multiplayer-only, from what I can tell. Eh.

I'm looking forward more to the full singleplayer game later this month. :mrgreen:
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I played what looked like an unfinished alpha at a friends house (Not sure why the gave him a copy), and I was disapointed to see that they hadn't taken advantage of making the level fully destructable. Bushes and trees are bullet proof...

Great game though! Kicking the cars was fun!!! :E
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Isaac wrote:I played what looked like an unfinished alpha at a friends house (Not sure why the gave him a copy),
Probably the leaked version that did the rounds.
dwlpunk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by dwlpunk »

i toyed around with the leak at a friends house and downloaded the demo. although playing with the sandbox 3 editor is really fun, your still pretty limited to city environments, which bothers me. i can see how the crysis franchise has grown a lot and now appeals to more gamers on consoles, but i miss the palm trees and the water. the demo ran great but it did make the fans on my video cards go crazy.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

dwlpunk wrote:...your still pretty limited to city environments, which bothers me.
That limitation (environments clipped all around by city) is what allows the game to run on lesser hardware like consoles and lower-spec PCs.

I'll miss those massively huge open levels from the first two games, but I'm hoping the singleplayer campaign can make up for it with some nice vertical action. :)
dwlpunk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by dwlpunk »

speculation says more paid DLC's with different environments.. of course. =/
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

I liked the suit customization and the graphics for gamer were good considering my system. The biggest problem though is motion blur. They need an option to turn it off.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

If there's something you don't like or a problem you noticed, get on their forums and let them know. That is why these demo's are out. They Want to hear from the community.

They probably won't do 100% of all gripes (of course) but they want as much feed back as possible.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

I thought it was single-player.
MD1985
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

No, the demo is multiplayer-only, unfortunately.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I should break far cry back out for another spin.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

gotta luv bulletproof leaves
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Here is the opening theme music. This is some incredible work.

Clik

It's composed by Hans Zimmer.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Sold an old item of mine for about $50 on eBay today, so I went ahead and pre-ordered the game.

I played a bit of the multiplayer demo the other day... meh.

But from what I've been reading, and given how smoothly it ran on my PC, I'm pretty stoked about playing (and probably re-playing, like I have with the original Crysis) through the single-player Crysis 2 campaign.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Crysis Wars would have been fun if more people were able to play it. Reminds me of another game I used to like...
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Game was released yesterday. So far... I like it! :D

After running into and applying a temporary fix for a known SLI/Crossfire bug, I managed to get a bit of playing time in yesterday. I'm not bothering with the multiplayer at all (it was 'meh' when I tried the demo), and started into the campaign.

As I expected, due to targeting consoles, most areas in the game are small and without much foliage; performance was never an issue, even at "extreme" settings. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the textures and models. They did an amazing job with the lighting and reflections, in particular. It really feels like a deserted New York City at dawn, somewhat akin to scenes in "I Am Legend".

As far as storyline goes, it's intriguing, so far. Prophet (character from the original game) shows up almost immediately, but you know very little about what's going on. I'm not far yet, but the plot looks promising.

Regarding gameplay, the A.I. uses cover well, but seems a bit confused, although they've surprised me a couple of times. I'm also pleased that there's a pretty distinct vertical element to the game, which helps make up for the lack of wide-open areas. Getting above enemies provides a pretty distinct advantage, and there are plenty of places to do so.

The one thing that I'd say I'm not completely happy with is the way the new Nanosuit works. It's nice that speed and power moves don't require switching modes, but it means that I'm constantly just choosing between "armor" and "cloak", which just feels less creative. It feels like it was dumbed-down for console control.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I saw it was available and thought "sweet" then I noticed it was $60.00 and thought "I can wait a year for when its $7.50".

On another note, I saw that Batman Arkham Asylum game is $7.50 on steam right now, should I get that?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Its a good game, but it uses Games for Windows Live.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

flip? for the 360? perhaps. (I don't have a 360 so I don't know). That would make sense though.

The PC version uses gamespy. There are a number of issues going on right now. If you have the limited edition, wait to install and log in.

Over all, I'm disappointed. it plays ok, but much of the game has been dumbed down as have the graphics; even on the highest setting.

Go with Krom. Save your $60 and get it when it's $7.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

I was referring to Krom's post.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Bumping this, simply because I'm really starting to enjoy the Crysis 2 singleplayer campaign.

While the multiplayer is buggy (from what I hear) and the graphics quality doesn't quite compare to the original, they more than make up for it with the modelling, lighting, and overall gameplay.

I'm getting used to the new nanosuit mechanics, but what I'm finding I really enjoy is the almost parkour-ish style of getting around. I've never played a ground-pounder with this kind of ability to quickly flit around, over, and under structures and rubble throughout the city.

Landmarks abound (making your way along a partially-collapsed FDR, infiltrating a busted-up Wall Street, fighting a huge Ceph walker in Grand Central Station, trying to hold out in Times Square, etc...), and they did an incredible job of making it feel like NYC.

Best part is, it's a LONG campaign, very hefty, with a huge variety of areas, and more vertical gameplay than I expected. I only have time to play little fragments at a time, but I'm probably already 12+ hours into it.

Definitely recommended (the singleplayer, that is).
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

It's rated on most sites as a 10 hour game, but that's if you power through it. I put about 15 hours into (or more) as I went for the collectibles the first time through. ... then I had to go back and get the one's I missed.

Besides what you pointed out Foil is that I've yet to approach most of the areas the same way. There are dozens of ways to approach a situation.

My biggest beef with multi right now is hackers. ...LOTS of them. Anywhere from the sublime soft aim bot to blatant float around the level and can't be killed hacks. I'm waiting a bit more for a patch or two before I try it again. As it is, multi is dieing out fast because of the hackers. When there aren't hackers, the multi plays really well. It pays to work in groups and there's nothing like kicking a car into someone. >:)

Oh, I got an award called "Drunk and Disorderly". It's when you've been in the bottom third of the score table for 3 times AFTER 11:30 PM! :lol:
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

haha fun.

when i was playing the demo, I kept hitting achievements that had a lot to do with the length I slid, the amount of time I spent cloaked and the amount of neck snaps I got. In one session, I made half the team switch to sniper/anti-stealth.

yeah, they got pretty spooked. :D