Backwards Battery?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Buck2u
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Backwards Battery?

Post by Buck2u »

Hi folks

I have a Dell XPS 600 and recently received the message of low voltage battery on boot up. Replace the battery with the positive side towards the clip as per the manual but am still receiving the same message and each day on boot up have to redo system entries. When I took the battery out I could have sworn it was reversed with the negative side toward the clip. Is this possible. Would it do any harm to try reversing it? I tested the the battery I took out and it was in fact low, I also tested the battery I put in and it was fully charged.

Thanks for any help, I've sadly been away from Descent for awhile but I remember this was a great place to come for tech assisstance.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Backwards Battery?

Post by Krom »

The clip side touches the negative side of the battery. It shouldn't damage the system but it could damage the battery, these are rechargeable batteries which is why they last 5+ years quite frequently, being installed backwards can cause the battery to rupture/explode. The positive + side of the battery faces opposite of the clip. The clip touches on the middle of the battery to form the negative connection and should not connect with the positive side.
Buck2u
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Buck2u »

Whoa, thanks Krom. Weird, in the manual it says the positive towards the clip but as I said I was sure it was the opposite when I took it out. Better get it out of there now!
Buck2u
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Buck2u »

That was it. Manual clearly shows the positive side towards the clip. Weird. Thanks again!