LWAPP vs. Autonomous Access Points?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

LWAPP vs. Autonomous Access Points?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Ok, so for my final in data cabling, I have a group presentation to present next Tuesday. I am part of the wireless team and I need to talk about the differences between an LWAPP (Lightweight Wireless Access Point Protocol) system and an autonomous system. I have to talk about the advantages and disadvantages of each and I believe compare and contrast them.

From what I understand about a Lightweight system, is that every access point is controlled by a system administrator and it is all centralized so that they can all be controlled and maintained by the system admin very easily. They can be upgraded, configured, and can be monitored for traffic and troubleshooting.

An autonomous system is where all of the APs run independently of each other.

Airespace apparently came up with the idea for LWAPP, observing that AP's had some layer 3 functionality as network access servers and allow for bridging between wireless and wired systems. Later it appears that it is supported by Cisco. (We use Cisco LWAPP APs).

What I don't understand is what the advantage of having an autonomous system over an LWAPP system would be?

Also, I need some info on other thin client AP's to compare to the Cisco ones we use. Anyone know of any good ones? Something within the 802.11n standard?