Who Killed Cock Robin

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Who Killed Cock Robin

Post by woodchip »

The verdict is in and Casey Anthony walks out a free woman. Some may judge this a travesty of justice. Some may compare this case to the OJ trial. As in both cases will the killers ever be found? Or did a jury screw up and set the guilty party free? So I guess little Caylee will never get the justice she so very much deserves.
Whitewater
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Who Killed Cock Robin

Post by Whitewater »

I think I hate the defense more than Casey herself. I can't stand watching those smug pricks act as if they've done something righteous when all they did was line their pockets. On a side note, I wont be at all surprised if Casey+more end up being attacked/killed in the following weeks.
(18:58) Sting_Ray: my sister was 13 pounds 6 ounces at birth
(19:00) [X]Scratch: sweet jebus...in some sports fishing...that's the catch of the day
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

There's a good chance she'll be lionized by 'feminists.'
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

1st degree was a stretch at best. she killed her daughter. but you cannot prove it was premeditated
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That's where the prosecutor made his mistake. There clearly was not enough evidence to prove premeditation, or even fully connect her to the crime. How nastily she involved her parents in this mess, and that they went along, gets me. Are her parents so protective that they would prostitute themselves to cover for their child at any cost? Frankly though, IMHO she's guilty as sin of eliminating, or killing, her little inconvenient kid. A spoiled little party girl who couldn't take the time out of her busy play time to raise a child, so she got rid of the inconvenience. :twisted:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:The verdict is in and Casey Anthony walks out a free woman. Some may judge this a travesty of justice. Some may compare this case to the OJ trial. As in both cases will the killers ever be found? Or did a jury screw up and set the guilty party free? So I guess little Caylee will never get the justice she so very much deserves.

in a very real way, justice was served today, not for Caylee Anthony, but for the American jurisprudence system. This case got tried, with a conviction, by certain media pundits, whose pressure led to a hasty and badly lacking collection of evidence and overall formation of a solid case. So, Casey walks free, will probably write a book or give a few interviews and retire to a penthouse in Boca. At least one can take solace that the Nancy Graces of the world have been slapped, and hard.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

ThunderBunny wrote:There's a good chance she'll be lionized by 'feminists.'

don't get out much, do you?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Casey Anthony has Vowed to not rest until the Murder is found, she has asked her Lawyer to contact OJ Simpson for Advice :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

CUDA wrote:Casey Anthony has Vowed to not rest until the Murder is found, she has asked her Lawyer to contact OJ Simpson for Advice :P

she should take up golf, that's how he did it, I believe.......
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

callmeslick wrote:
CUDA wrote:Casey Anthony has Vowed to not rest until the Murder is found, she has asked her Lawyer to contact OJ Simpson for Advice :P

she should take up golf, that's how he did it, I believe.......
I'm sure she'll search every Put-Put course in America.

― Theodore Roosevelt
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

If there is a god Nancy Grace will freak out and murder Casey Anthony and then off herself.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Will Robinson wrote:If there is a god Nancy Grace will freak out and murder Casey Anthony and then off herself.

I seldom agree with you so completely(voice in back of head screams, "Danger Will Robinson, Danger!)
:wink:
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Will Robinson wrote:If there is a god Nancy Grace will freak out and murder Casey Anthony and then off herself.
AND hopefully Geraldo Rivera too! :D

Holy crap! Just heard on the news this morning she wants to have ANOTHER KID! Oh, the tragedy of stupidity!
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

I found the post trial comment by both her Attorney and her Parents quite revealing.
Baez wrote:"Casey did not murder Caylee," he said. "It's that simple. And today, our system of justice has not dishonored her memory by a false conviction."
it seems he chose his words very carefully to say Murder and not kill.
Anthony Family wrote:Despite the baseless chosen by Casey Anthony, the family believes that the Jury made a fair decision based on the evidence presented, the testimony presented, the scientific information presented and the rules given to them by the Honorable Judge Perry to guide them
the tone of that comment gives me the feeling that they think that Casey killed her daughter but didn't plan to do so. that's just my feeling.
While I feel that this verdict Might have been a Victory for the Constitution and the letter of the law. I do not feel that Justice was served

― Theodore Roosevelt
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

So one might suspect that Caylee got into a crying fit and the good mother either used chloroform to quiet it her or put duck tape over the childs mouth to keep her quiet. Both scenarios ended with Caylee dying. Thus the attempt to hide the crime. If it would of been Caylee wandered into the pool and drowned, then I think the mother would of reacted in a more normal fasion. Just my 2 cents.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

In some countries when a mother kills her children they put them in a mental hospital, here we put them on death row. Either way, I do trust the jury more then the sensationalized media version of the story that we recieve; and i think its just aweful the way talking heads who spend a few hours with this story then tear them apart.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

These trials should not be televised and turned into a daytime soap opera.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I agree 100%, flip.

As for this victory for the justice system but not for justice stuff... if justice is not done then it's not a victory for the justice system, it's a failure. I also disagree with the sentiment with regard to the young girl not receiving justice. She never will--she's dead. The only justice is justice for the living. You ought to choose a better (read 'legitimate') champion for your indignation against her mother. I think the mother ought to go to prison, and not the sort of prison that throws her in with the dregs of society to socialize. She needs to have her freedom absolutely taken away, and at the same time be given ample opportunity to fully realize and regret what she's done. 20 years might be fitting.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Punishment is not justice. This woman needs help.
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

How to treat a psychopath
“Psychopathy can’t be treated! The disease is incurable.”
-- Simona Nielsen

“Psychopathy is remarkably resistant to therapy.”
-- Jennifer Copley in Personality Disorders

“Psychopathy is seen as a 'personality disorder' and therefore pretty much untreatable.”
-- Mark Tyrrell in No strings on me: Is there a psychopath in your life?

“There are no data indicating that any treatment targeting psychopathy has been effective in reducing anti-social conduct.”
-- Grant T. Harris and Marnie E. Rice for the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

"...psychopaths do not seem to benefit from support, counseling or therapy and may in fact commit crimes again and sooner because of it."
--Michael G. Conner, Psy.D

“Indeed, many writers on the subject have commented that the shortest chapter in any book on psychopathy should be the one on treatment. A one- sentence conclusion such as, ‘No effective treatment has been found,’ or, ‘Nothing works,’ is the common wrap-up to scholarly reviews of the literature.”
When they start killing and hardly break a sweat about it, your only left with 2 choices.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I'm not saying she shouldn't receive help while locked away in near solitary confinement. That would be the ideal situation, in fact. It is my opinion that she doesn't need to be catered to, however, from any profession. It is possible, given time and the proper influences, for a person to reevaluate their life from a proper perspective, when everything else has been removed. But for that to really happen her whole life has to be brought to an end, and she needs to endure some real hardship and want, in order to put things in perspective. That's what any prison/jail ought to be, if you ask me. None of this cable TV and various distractions bull★■◆●.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

null0010 wrote:Punishment is not justice.
Wrong
Justice is a concept of moral rightness based on ethics, rationality, law, natural law, religion, fairness, or equity, along with the punishment of the breach of said ethics

― Theodore Roosevelt
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

You can quote dictionary definitions at me all day, it won't change the fact that I do not believe vengeful punishment to be justice. This woman needs help. If she cannot be helped, she needs to be institutionalized and studied, so that in the future, others like her are more likely to get help. Just because there is no treatment now does not mean there is no treatment.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

you made a statement of fact. "Punishment is not Justice" you are wrong. it doesn't matter how you FEEL about the issue. Punishment IS justice in a court of law.
so that in the future, others like her are more likely to get help
and how is this going to prevent more Caylee Anthony deaths??? are you going to give a Psych test to every Mother or Potential mother to see if they meet your standards of safety to be a mother??

― Theodore Roosevelt
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

IMO, you guys need to clarify your terminology here.

When you refer to "punishment", are you talking about vengeance or punitive correction?

One of those does not apply justice, the other does.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Punishment IS justice in a court of law.
I did clarify mine.
and Punishment and Vengeance are not the same thing

Punishment is a result of your actions.
Vengeance "CAN BE" a consequence of your actions.

If she had been found guilty she would have been rightfully Punished for her Action in the Death of her Child.

BUT

Since she was found innocent some nut job "might" take Vengeance on her as a consequence of her actions in regards to the Death of her Daughter.

― Theodore Roosevelt
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

CUDA wrote:
null001 wrote:]so that in the future, others like her are more likely to get help
and how is this going to prevent more Caylee Anthony deaths?
How will punishing Casey Anthoney prevent deaths?

A question I ask everyone: Why do we, as a society, punish criminals?
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

null0010 wrote:
CUDA wrote:
null001 wrote:]so that in the future, others like her are more likely to get help
and how is this going to prevent more Caylee Anthony deaths?
How will punishing Casey Anthoney prevent deaths?

A question I ask everyone: Why do we, as a society, punish criminals?
you don't punish to prevent anything. you punish as a consequence of your choices to Violate societies laws and the general welfare of said society.

― Theodore Roosevelt
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

CUDA wrote:
null0010 wrote:Why do we, as a society, punish criminals?
you don't punish to prevent anything. you punish as a consequence of your choices to Violate societies laws and the general welfare of said society.
What does society gain from punishing criminals?
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I'm gonna tell you why Null. It's because your naive and gullible. This is the real world, not a class discussing whether something only makes sound as long as there is someone to hear it. I have hope for the redemption of all, but some turn reprobate. It's a condition caused by constantly making the wrong choices to the point that your conscience just gives up. They are therefore a danger to everyone else at that point and must be removed. Some call it punishment, I call it a necessity. I don't see any other way.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

flip wrote:I'm gonna tell you why Null. It's because your naive and gullible. This is the real world, not a class discussing whether something only makes sound as long as there is someone to hear it. I have hope for the redemption of all, but some turn reprobate. It's a condition caused by constantly making the wrong choices to the point that your conscience just gives up. They are therefore a danger to everyone else at that point and must be removed. Some call it punishment, I call it a necessity. I don't see any other way.
I don't think we need to resort to name-calling; we are all adults. I am simply asking two questions:

1. Why does society punish criminals?

2. What does society gain from punishing criminals?

I do not expect to change anyone's minds, I just want to hear some reasons behind these ideas.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Not meant to be insulting, just a definition. I apologize for the offense. I have no idea what else to do with them. I felt from the very beginning the prosecution did not have a death penalty case, and I myself would have a hard time choosing death for someone else. It's goes against my upbringing :P Why people are so quick to condemn and judge I have my theories, but I like you, had rather at least see an effort to rehabilitate, but make no mistake, if one of those psychopaths tries to hurt me or mine, then now I've got blood on my hands or a very broken heart. The worst offenders have to removed. It's just the way it is.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Some people can't be fixed. Those are the ones we need to sentence to death. The others, well if you put them in jail and rehabilitate them, once they get out, if we don't help them rejoin society and get a job that pays half decent, they will resort to crime because it's all they know. I watched a special on that and it makes perfect sense. Most criminals don't want to have to work hard. They always want the easy way. Hence why selling drugs is so inviting to people, it's easy and you get lots of cash.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

The system's broke. There is a good portion of people in jail that don't even belong there and that's why I was happy with the jury's decision, except had I been there I would have went the extra mile and hung the jury. Wouldn't give a ★■◆● who got mad either. Going to extremes and asking for death tanked the prosecution from day one. Huge, overzealous mistake when the Death Penalty in this country is so frivolously thrown around. Damn, you gotta consider human nature too. No one wanted to send a young, good-looking woman in her mid 20's to death. Had it been me, they probably would have had no problem. Prosecution was inept and totally ineffective and should bear all the lashback from this, not the jury.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Some people can't be fixed. Those are the ones we need to sentence to death.

I disagree. If someone is unable to be helped, then I think they should be studied. We need to find out what it is that causes people to become or be "incurable."
CDN_Merlin wrote:The others, well if you put them in jail and rehabilitate them, once they get out, if we don't help them rejoin society and get a job that pays half decent, they will resort to crime because it's all they know.
This I agree with. People who commit crimes, especially habitually, need help.

I do not think it is a prudent use of resources to imprison people for the sake of satisfying some base communal need for vengeance.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Welcome to privatization and the Rule of Law. Don't expect it to get any better, especially after it's a Fortune 500 company. Big money in locking up and housing people. Somebody gets to provide all that assistance(food,water,clothes,shoes), probably another division of the same company :P
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

flip wrote:Welcome to privatization and the Rule of Law. Don't expect it to get any better, especially after it's a Fortune 500 company. Big money in locking up and housing people. Somebody gets to provide all that assistance(food,water,clothes,shoes), probably another division of the same company :P
"Don't expect it to get any better" is not a statement I will allow to stop me from thinking this way.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

null0010 wrote:1. Why does society punish criminals?
because Societies Laws require it
2. What does society gain from punishing criminals?
Justice
jus·tice
   [juhs-tis] Show IPA
–noun
the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness: to uphold the justice of a cause.
rightfulness or lawfulness, as of a claim or title; justness of ground or reason: to complain with justice.
the moral principle determining just conduct.
conformity to this principle, as manifested in conduct; just conduct, dealing, or treatment.
the administering of deserved punishment or reward.
the maintenance or administration of what is just by law, as by judicial or other proceedings: a court of justice.
judgment of persons or causes by judicial process: to administer justice in a community.

― Theodore Roosevelt
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

null0010 wrote:I disagree. If someone is unable to be helped, then I think they should be studied. We need to find out what it is that causes people to become or be "incurable."
someday you'll realize that some people are just Evil

― Theodore Roosevelt
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

CUDA wrote:
null0010 wrote:I disagree. If someone is unable to be helped, then I think they should be studied. We need to find out what it is that causes people to become or be "incurable."
someday you'll realize that some people are just Evil
I cannot think of a truly evil person. Most people described as "evil" are closer to misguided, stupid, or ignorant, I think.