favorite toys from your child hood

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

favorite toys from your child hood

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

so what are your favorite toys that you have as a kid (mostly the ones bought from stores)?
mine are:
-Transformers (early G2) (I used to have Optimus Prime, Devastator, and Bumblebee)
-mid 90s Starwars toys
-Legos
-one of the diecast Jet toys
-the Battletech toys from TYCO (they were cool IMO, but not the Cartoon)
(that's all I can think of)
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: favorite toys from your child hood

Post by Isaac »

Study for test... answer this thread... study for test.. .answer this thread.. oh well too late:

1. Teenage mutant ninja turtles (I still remember crying on the first one I broke. Ironically, the reason I got one was because I broke my arm and my parents felt bad.).
2. Wood Blocks. (Seriously, none of you all had the skills me and my brother had in building with blocks. We'd build the most elaborate multi level sets for our toys to play on.)
3. Cars (Tons and tons of toy cars. We'd find them on the street or get them as gifts. Cars rule. Matchbox, Hotwheels, and a bunch of others).
4. Transformer knock-offs. (We never had a real transformers. Just the strange knockoffs. Some only transformed once then couldn't go back.)
5. GI-JOEs!!!! (Once the price came down on those my dad bought two boxes of them at the flea market. They were an additive to the wood blocks. We'd set them all up on the opposing forts and then play out a live action movie where everyone except for a few actually live. We did this over and over again, with different forts. We also would set up the accessories, like turrets and stuff all over.)
6. ALIENS (The alien toys rocked. They were always killing off the GI-Joes, after breaking into their fort. GI-Joes always got them in the end.
7. Jurassic park (I never ever wanted anything except the dinosaurs from that toy line. The dinosaurs would also join forces with the aliens. Ninja turtles could ride them.)
8. Marbles (used in traps, set by GI-JOES and Ninja Turtles).
9. Attack-Packs (monster cars > aliens and dinosaurs)
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

[*]Legos were the biggest one for me. I still have most of them - I hope my little guy likes 'em as much as I did
[*]I had one GI joe I played with till his arms fell off. Very fun! We used to have these cool rubber band guns you could load up 6 rubber bands. My brother and I would stand at other sides of the room, and we had to knock over each others GI joe.
[*]I liked my erector set a lot. Wish I hadn't gotten rid of those!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Thenior wrote:[*]Legos were the biggest one for me.
Oh yeah, forgot those. Those were great. I still like those meant for building little machines.
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I loved to build things, so I really cherished my Erector Set.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Lego's here too....

Ertl's Force One - Die Cast Aircraft/Military Vehicle set ( of which i still have 5 of my aircraft to this day! )

my life sized plastic M4A1 with ejecting casings :mrgreen:
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Legos hands down
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I still have some 10-20,000 pieces of lego, some of my kits exceed 1300 pieces in a single set. I should put them back together some time but I don't really have the space. :P
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

you should, but use model glue and perma fix them together and display them in a nice acrylic case
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I was a big fan of Legos, Construx, Capsela, and the Erector Set.

tunnelcat wrote:I loved to build things, so I really cherished my Erector Set.
Guess I should thank you tunnelcat.:P I was trying to remember the name of that last one.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I have pretty much all of my Lego models still built, though I've been able to put the majority of them in under-bed storage bins. The rest occupy two whole shelves and a dresser top, and gather hideous amounts of dust. :P
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Heh, gotta say the huge matchbox and hot wheels collection was my favorite, carried that around for awhile :P. Second favorite was a couple bags of those green and beige army men, a couple jeeps, helicopter and a can of lighter fluid :) Mostly we all dressed up in old WW2 garb, (I had a trenchcoat I loved, still had the patches) and we would play army. As I got older we all ended up playing a bunch of paintball. Oh and various dirtbikes over the years. That was about it.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Best toys I had were the ones I built. Commercially hot wheels was a big fave, train sets, marbles, (it IS a game), slot tracks etc., GI Joe was a big ticket and all the kids had them, but my Dad said it was the same as a girl playing with dolls and no son of his was going to play with dolls... Of course building models and motorized contraptions fascinated me.

As for building toys... at age 9 I built an arcade on the front lawn that included pinball, laser,(led with a lens) target shooting, flying cardboard planes with photocells that stopped their motors when you shot them, and a host of other games including laser tag, (the most popular). Charged 10 cents for an all you can play deal and a 25 cent premium to rent the long range laser gun. It was 1972 and yes we had lawn darts and yes someone got one in the back of the head.

One Christmas I got a model car that would run in a straight line only and modded it with a wired remote control, steering mechanism, and my version of servos that night. The next day I was terrorizing the poodle with it and the fact it worked totally amazed my parents. I also learned about motor rewinding on my own and everyone couldn't figure out why my slot cars were so fast.

When I started building my own carbon arc lamps and helium mig welder the next year, I was banished to the outdoors and played in secrecy. I'm pretty sure I discovered Bucky balls by accident with one of my experiments that year, but didn't have access to an electron microscope to examine the Carbon residue.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Generation 1 Transformers
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Legos - specifically the space sets. I had M-Tech, Blacktech, Space Police, that monorail thing...man I loved those things. I wish I could find them.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i wish i could get those train sets from Lego and a couple of Aviation based Technic's
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Lego's and erector sets here. Most of what we had were board games. I can remember playing Risk for hours and hours.
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

dp.
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

My favorite toy was a mattel fanner fifty cap pistol. Came with a real leather holster. I still have a sense of how it felt holding it and wearing the holster as i went out to join my buddies on a warm summer day. Since my childhood was long before leggos, I did have lincoln logs from which I built all types of structures
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ooooh, you reminded me of Mattel. I loved The Thing Maker! Especially Creepy Crawlers and the Mini-Dragons versions. Burned myself a couple of times, probably why it disappeared, kids can be klutzy, but it was fun to play with. Damn lawyers. :mrgreen:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

Sapphire Wolf wrote:-the Battletech toys from TYCO (they were cool IMO, but not the Cartoon)
i have all of them just missing the banshee :(