Sand Art

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Sand Art

Post by woodchip »

Well, it would seem that the proverbial lines in the sand are being drawn in the GOP primary. We have Romney saying we should keep Social Security (SS) and let the feds keep handling it. We have Perry saying SS is worse than a ponzi scheme, needs to be completely revamped and the states should manage it. Now I agree with Perry that SS is a giant ponzi scheme (we are dowm to about 1.75 workers to support 1 retiree) but I'm not sure if the states should individually manage SS for their citizens. So how do the rest of you feel about this? Scrap SS and start over? Tweak it a bit but keep as is? If the vote was just between Romney and Perry, who would you vote for based solely on the SS issue?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Sand Art

Post by Will Robinson »

It is hard to decide how the Fed should manage any one program when they are all funded off of one big pile of revenue that is consistently less than the total of all their programs cost.
So even if you find the perfect recipe for SS you are building that house on a foundation about as unstable as they get.

In fact, if not for the Fed's ability to print their own money at others expense and use unlimited firepower to stop their opposition they would have been 'out of business' decades back!
I guess if by turning it over to the State you also mean the Fed stops receiving that portion of the revenue and instead it goes to the State then you might think it can't be any worse but the States lack of a treasury to 'borrow' from would just have the States realize the programs inevitable failure that much sooner...

I'm afraid we are headed for a cultural revolution in a harsh and painful way and it is probably a few generations off so in the meantime the status quo is going to continue to steer us down the road toward that fate because those with the ability to change our course are either too fat and happy still to see the problem or too invested in leeching personal gain from the system the way it is.

If I was running China or Russia or any country with the means to fight a long war and had the funds to do so I'd start investing in america, not to aid us but to stake out claims of ownership, so when we were ripe for the taking they could come in under the guise of protecting their investment...kind of like a foreign bank coming to foreclose on the country with the intent to own the place and fend off any outsider that wants to tell them they can't.

The greatest country in the history of the world could in fact become a tiny blip on the timeline of civilizations and the history teachers in these parts that teach that lesson will probably be doing it speaking Mandarin...
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Will Robinson wrote:The greatest country in the history of the world WILL in fact become a tiny blip on the timeline of civilizations
This will happen no matter what in the grand scheme or chaso of this universe. Oh and fixed it for ya. :P
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Heh, I think it's becoming painfully obvious that everything eventually has an end, what's that got to do with SS and presidential candidates :P. So far they sound like ideas thrown out at a party. One calls it a ponzi scheme the other wants to give back "state rights". Both so far are full of ★■◆● and using talkiing points to see who can make the crowd cheer louder. I think this helps them to know what to say next :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The problem with SS is that the government raided the fund, it was doomed from the moment congress got their hands on it. No matter what they do now, they can't make up for the lost investment returns potential that the original fund had.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

hand-wringing over SS is ridiculous. All you have to do is update the ceiling for collecting the tax(something that has not kept up with inflation at all) to an income level of, say, $250K, and problem solved. Damned near permanently.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Krom wrote:The problem with SS is that the government raided the fund, it was doomed from the moment congress got their hands on it. No matter what they do now, they can't make up for the lost investment returns potential that the original fund had.
Yep. And it's not going to help in the long run either if Obama gets that nice little payroll tax cut in he wants in his Jobs Bill.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

We should all go back to living in extended families, and reduce SS to a program for the truly needy. :twisted:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

What if you don't have an "extended family"? Not everyone has a "family" to take care of them in a time of need. I sure don't anymore.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Then that would qualify you as “truly needy”.

(assuming you aren't rich, or something)
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Honestly Spidey hit the head on the nail I think. Families should take of their own before anyone else has to.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

So how do you take care of only those that don't have a family and need help? Won't that create resentment? Wouldn't that put a lot of excessive burden on charities? Last I heard, a lot of churches were a little short of cash.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

callmeslick wrote:hand-wringing over SS is ridiculous. All you have to do is update the ceiling for collecting the tax(something that has not kept up with inflation at all) to an income level of, say, $250K, and problem solved. Damned near permanently.
Why have a ceiling at all? Why is it that the government harvests funds from everyone to supposedly enable them to dish some out to retired people but the poor and middle class pay an extremely higher percentage of their income toward that part of the tax revenue than the wealthy.
If a guy that earns 30,000 a year has to give up 7% toward that fund every year then let the wealthy give the same percentage of their earnings instead of only giving up a fraction of a percent! Equal burden for all taxpayers.

It's not like they can say we all pay into an account in our names so the first $200,000 is all that needs to be taxed to maintain the accounts. That is a complete illogical line of crap. They took that money and moved it into the general fund so they could use it to sell pork for votes!
You either tax us all fairly or you take my contribution and treat it like it really belongs to me...put it in an account with my name on it that only pays me or my family.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:We should all go back to living in extended families, and reduce SS to a program for the truly needy. :twisted:

yup, and bring back the horse and buggy, while we're at it. :roll:
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

One of the basic failings of the funding of SS…most of the income of “rich” people is not through a payroll.

SS was supposed to be an “insurance” program…ROFLMAO
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:One of the basic failings of the funding of SS…most of the income of “rich” people is not through a payroll.

SS was supposed to be an “insurance” program…ROFLMAO

there is probably some fairness in that observation, as well.
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

callmeslick wrote:
Spidey wrote:We should all go back to living in extended families, and reduce SS to a program for the truly needy. :twisted:

Well it was all of the government “safety nets”* that destroyed the extended family in the first place.

*Traps
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:
callmeslick wrote:

Well it was all of the government “safety nets”* that destroyed the extended family in the first place.

*Traps

traps? :?
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:Well it was all of the government “safety nets”* that destroyed the extended family in the first place.

*Traps
How the hell is that? Are you implying that "safety nets" destroyed extended families? That's a stretch. :roll:
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Something did. I remember just back in the 70's, we had a family get together every weekend. All 7 brothers and sisters, their children and all the cous's >:). Was normal to see that going all the way down the road for the most part. I think it was AL Gore and his internet :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, my parents divorced back in those "good old days" of the 1960's when I was young. I only have one sister from that marriage and a step brother from a subsequent remarriage. My real father died later on when he was 39, my sister has her own problems and doesn't make a lot of money, my brother is lazy and I wouldn't count on him to flog a dead horse and my step dad doesn't really like the 2 step children, my sister and myself, because we are "not of his blood". I couldn't count on any of them for help. There is no family alive on my husband's side either. Some family I've got. Most of it fell apart after my mother died in 2000. She was the family glue.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

You sound like glue yourself.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

What, all sticky and sweet? :mrgreen:
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Lol. Well, I'm a unifying force of nature myself :)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'm harder to clean off though. There's always a residue left. :wink:
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Depends on the cleaner. DO you have any evidence to support a change?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

No, I’m not “implying” it…I’m stating it straight out.

For one thing, the great “safety nets” are why grandma is living out her lonely existence in some inner city. And don’t deny it…I can point out dozens of them!

Without "safety nets" a society could not behave this way. I don’t know…but some of you sound like you want to create a society where you don’t have to feel any guilt…plenty of safety nets, no personal responsibility.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I think the "safety nets" were put in place from downright guilt. We got robbed in 1913 and it's just took this long to realize it. What are others thoughts on the idea of limiting the FED to ONLY creating a stable currency and having no other power to influence the economy? That may be a step in the right direction to get most of the decision making power back into the hands of elected officials.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:No, I’m not “implying” it…I’m stating it straight out.

For one thing, the great “safety nets” are why grandma is living out her lonely existence in some inner city. And don’t deny it…I can point out dozens of them!

Without "safety nets" a society could not behave this way. I don’t know…but some of you sound like you want to create a society where you don’t have to feel any guilt…plenty of safety nets, no personal responsibility.
OK, what would you do with all the poor and sick grandmas, or grandpas for that matter, with no families to care for them? There are quite a few of them around in this country too.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Spidey wrote:Then that would qualify you as “truly needy”.

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Along the lines of family taking care of family:

The traditional idea is that you have enough kids that one (or several) of them is able to take care of you when you age. If for some reason you don't have kids that can help you, you look to extended family, and if that doesn't pan out your stuck.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

flip wrote:Something did. I remember just back in the 70's, we had a family get together every weekend. All 7 brothers and sisters, their children and all the cous's >:). Was normal to see that going all the way down the road for the most part. I think it was AL Gore and his internet :P
I remember, back in the last week, having a family get together every weekend. Something must have destroyed that... oh wait. No. It still happens.
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah? How's yo mom and em doin? :P You have a knack to completely miss the point of most posts I've noticed, Don't know why, so, How's the weather where you live? :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:
Spidey wrote:Then that would qualify you as “truly needy”.

Too many 'truly needy" that aren't "rich" and not enough family help to go around in this country now, because even the rest of the family is poor.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/doe ... 28330.html
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

snoopy wrote:Along the lines of family taking care of family:

The traditional idea is that you have enough kids that one (or several) of them is able to take care of you when you age. If for some reason you don't have kids that can help you, you look to extended family, and if that doesn't pan out your stuck.
unfortunately many Families don't even attempt to take care of each other. makes them the lowest of the low IMHO
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:No, I’m not “implying” it…I’m stating it straight out.

in a city the size of Greater Philadelphia, you can find 'dozens'? Astounding proof, I'm sold!
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Lol Slick…you funny…

How the hell would I go about pointing out these people on a citywide basis…I was talking about the few square blocks around my house. :roll:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

uh-huh :roll:
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well, I really wouldn’t expect someone so enamored with government, to accept the possibility of some unintended consequents of the great and awesome social programs.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:Well, I really wouldn’t expect someone so enamored with government, to accept the possibility of some unintended consequents of the great and awesome social programs.

Similar to my expectations that someone ready to blame government for any possible evil will simply make up facts to fit their silly view of reality. As I stated to Krom, elsewhere......yeesh! :roll:
George Orwell---"1984"