Physics or Astronomy?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Physics or Astronomy?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

So, I'm stuck in the middle of a difficult decision. For the past 3 semesters, I've been going to votech college course in Information Technology and for my next semester, I've got a rather difficult course, Accessing The WAN (from what I hear it is fairly difficult and I've got a wireless course. I need 6 more credits and I have a number of choices to pick from for my generals. Apparently, my scores in Math are very high and I am qualified for college level Calculus. I am thinking about taking a course in Statistics but I also need to pick a course for either next year or this year and I'm looking at either Astronomy or Physics.

This year has really kicked me in the butt between taking courses in both Switching and Routing and rotating between days with 2 hour classes for each along with my other courses. On one hand, I love the stars and I've always wanted to take a course in Astronomy. Personally, all we had in high school was Physics, Earth-Science, Biology and some Agriculture courses so I am kind-of up for something different and I really enjoy the stars.

At current, I am only going for my Associates degree, being that, as I understand it, if I were to get anything higher, it would take me a good 2 years longer and by then, my Cisco certification will expire and it will become a lot harder to get hired. The other problem, is that I'm now married and my wife would like to start a family within a year or so, so I really need to get into a REAL job and soon.

My professor recommends Physics but I'm not really sure if I should go for it or not if my priority is to get into the workforce as soon as possible.

I've worked in IT before and from experience, I found it pretty much impossible to go to school at the same time.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: Physics or Astronomy?

Post by Alter-Fox »

Astronomy sounds cool, but if you're looking for something that would help you get hired I would actually recommend Statistics. Don't listen to the people who say stats is hard because as long as you're okay with factorials, it's laughably easy if you don't get lulled into a sense of complacency and "I already know everything"ness, and keep paying attention throughout the year (this is actually an easy trap to fall into, and the reason most people say stats is hard).
And then you have another skill that you can get hired for, and take it from me that stats goes with everything. It will be a valuable skill to have no matter what field you go into (you make it sound like you're doing Computer Science/Programming).
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Not sure I'd take the Physics course if you're just taking it for science fill-in credits; if Astronomy interests you, then consider taking that. You might find the Electricity and Magnetism portion of a Physics course to be interesting, but I think a lot of intro Physics courses start out with the study of motion, forces, etc. and may not get to E&M until a third semester (when I took it the general majors physics curriculum it was an 4 semester (two year) sequence. And that was back in the early to mid-1980's). Check your college's course descriptions to see if that fits for you; or just talk to somebody in the physics department. Also, intro physics usually involves some lab time; perhaps your astronomy course does too. Not sure how that might impact your course load and schedule.
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

If you haven't taken Calculus, then you should consider taking that. You'll need Calculus to study most of these things in any reasonable detail, possibly excluding Astronomy, even in the first semester. You'll need Calculus to study continuous distributions in Statistics, and you'll need it again to understand the derivations of the motion equations in the very first chapter of your Physics book. I know there are "Stats without Calculus" and "Physics with Calculus" courses where they strip out the derivations and hand you the equations magically, but I can't imagine them being very satisfying.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Calculus is used in all areas of physics. Shouldn't you also need calculus in astronomy? I thought you could use it to calculate planetary motion and orbits not to mention the motion of the whole universe.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Yes, you need calculus once you get into the meat of astronomy, but your average intro-level course doesn't require it. I actually took such a course just for the hell of it, even though it didn't fill any requirements for my physics degree, and I think the most advanced math that was used in it was logarithms.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

I had to use logarithms in the military when I was in the fire direction control (13E) for 8in howitzers. I was using slide rules to compute angle and direction, and powder charge. From the 13F (forward OP) coordinates so the13B( gun bunnie) could load adjust and turned the howitzer. I got out just as they were starting to develop fire control computers. Now the whole thing is taken care of by the 13F (forward observer) with computers which in turns goes straight to the howitzer and 13B to load the 8in shells and power. then gun turns by it'self and fires.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

dissent wrote:Not sure I'd take the Physics course if you're just taking it for science fill-in credits...
Idiot self not realizing why it was the choice of two.
Still, stats is normally offered by the science departments so it may still count. I still say it's the best thing to take if you're looking for special skills that can get you hired over everyone else.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Actually, intro to Stats is a 3 credit course and is considered simply part of the Math goal. I need to make up 4 credits to have enough credits to graduate and it has to be from a specific set of goals. The two choices that fit this requirement perfectly without taking two classes to fill in for one is by taking either Physics or Astronomy. I'm actually taking stats this year and I will either take Physics or Astronomy next year along with Speech and my final Cisco related course.

I really don't need Calculus for a Cisco Certification or for an Associates degree in IT. Probably will take Astronomy for a change of pace. I mostly handle how data is converted into bits and sent through a wire and binary Math. May try to take Physics later on if I wish to continue on and get a Bachelors degree but it is recommended to get out as fast as I can after my Associates as I am required to re-certify every 2 years and all of my training will be considered a moot point after I acquire a bachelors degree in Applied Science.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

My 2c on calculus:

I think everyone should at least get a bit of it. The concepts associated with calculus will get you a long way, even if you don't directly calculate integrals and derivatives all the time.

I also think that "big boy" physics and astronomy will both require you to have a working knowledge of calc. I'd look at it this way: the more work you put into your education now, the more potential your career will have for the rest of your life. Even after years of experience, your degree usually still means something. A lot of times it ceases to be a matter of getting the job, but it usually has an effect on what you get paid for doing the job.

[EDIT]
I hear you on working full time and going to school. I'm currently working on my masters while working full time, and one class at a time is a challenge... managing to stretch a two year degree into five years.... I'm now officially 2/5 of the way done!
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Take the class on Astronomy. With all the reports on finding other planets in the life zone, it could be a very interesting class...especially if you ask the prof about them (planets). Basically your will learn about the cycle of stars and such but it could open a hobbyist interest if nothing else.
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »

I'm surprised you didn't end up trying to go to Full Sail University (fullsail.edu). Their Game Design Master's program was excellent.