battery question, for leaving it unused.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

battery question, for leaving it unused.

Post by Isaac »

I've been detaching my laptop battery and putting it in my closet, for some reason. I'm assuming it shouldn't be completely charged when I do this, nor completely dead. Like, maybe close to 50%?
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re: battery question, for leaving it unused.

Post by fliptw »

I'd leave it in the laptop.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Lithium-ion batteries store best at around 40% charge, but they will have to be recharged once every couple months and they will still lose capacity over time (although less than if they were stored at 100% charge). Letting them discharge completely can kill them if the voltage drops below a certain level because a safety circuit will trip and break the connections (otherwise the cells might explode if you tried to charge them). A closet is generally a good location, although the basement might work even better if it is usually a little cooler. Some people looking for really long storage life will keep them in the fridge but the safety and effectiveness of doing so is debatable.

The main thing to avoid is storing them someplace hot, excessive heat (like inside a parked car during daylight) can damage or rapidly degrade a lithium-ion battery.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Exercising batteries occasionally helps them have a long life, especially ones that aren't used for long periods and do better than the ones constantly cooking on a charger.