500 feet elevation SUCKS!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

500 feet elevation SUCKS!

Post by Tunnelcat »

Snow! It always seems to stick at that particular elevation here in Oregon. Bloody effing wet heavy snow has fallen every night for the last 3 nights. We had around 5 or 6 inches total, although it partially melts during the day. I still have to shovel the stuff off my steep driveway every morning just to get the car in or out. It's just wet enough to pack down and become a skating rink on the hills or in the intersections. Bad thing is, all I have to do is go down that 200 feet and everything is clear. But trying to get DOWN to that lower level can be a death wish! I'm moving to flatland. The hills are for the birds and people with studded tires.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: 500 feet elevation SUCKS!

Post by Krom »

Not much better here, I just got back from clearing the driveway and sidewalks.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Try 4,600 feet... -40C here snowing and blowing. Studded winter tires are a must and mandatory on roads up to the ski hills.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

It's really a pain in the keister. It always seems to snow at my house, but down below me, it's clear or just a light dusting. I live right at that obnoxious elevation the weather people always warn about. The back corner of my lot is exactly 500 feet.

I just spent 2 hours shoveling really wet heavy snow off all my sidewalks and driveway, remind me to never own a corner lot again, and it was raining on top of that, adding to the weight. Just like shoveling sloppy concrete that likes to stick to the shovel. There was about 3 inches of the stuff from last night too. Ugh!

When I lived in Colorado for a few years, at 6000 feet, the snow was COLD. It was dry, light and fluffy and a breeze to shovel and drive in. Not the heart attack-inducing slop we get in the Northwest. We also have a boatload of noob driver University students here in town that have never driven in snow and are trying their hand at it while going to class. After the intersections glaze over from the traffic, the sideways stops and escalating fender bender rate makes me want to curl up and stay home.

Canuck, I'll take your -40C snow right now. At least it weighs a whole lot less, a snow blower will work in it and driving isn't like going ice skating. Try a snow blower in our stuff and it will clog up in 2 seconds. It's this hit and miss snow that's a pain too. If it was snowing all winter, at least I could put on a set of studded tires full time and buy a snow blower. With what little snow we get for the winter, it doesn't make sense for me to put out the expenditure.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I hate it when snow gets like that. It's a fairly rare occurrence around here, but we got a boatload of it one time. Absolutely the worst thing to have to deal with. You have my sympathy.

Maybe you should think about installing a heated driveway. ;)
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Meh. Snow ensures there will be green grass in the Summer.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Now it's pouring rain, inches of it! We can't win for losing. The flooding is now starting. At least I'm not longer living near Seattle. They're getting dumped on with tons of snow.

Yeah, we do need the snow TechPro, but it really needs to dump snow in the mountains, not down here in the valley. Mountain snow is our summer water reservoir. We are a little short right now because we had an almost rainless December. The weather God is giving us some payback.
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Not to rub it in your noses, but this is the warmest winter I've ever experienced up here. Harldy any snow. hahaha
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

If this monster shifts east, you're gonna get it! We are getting deluged with rain! We started out January with almost no rain. Now we've had 4.5 inches.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Today it "Feels like -17" here... Aargh!
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sdfgeoff »

Let me gloat....
Over here it's summer, and we are having nice hot days.
Down here at 50m above sea level we rarely have snow stick for more than a few hours, but my experience in walking in the deep stuff while tramping let's me sympathize.
Eh?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Now we're up to over 5 inches of rain in the past 3 days, but at least it's warmer. I shouldn't have complained though. God is cursing me for my insolence. :P At least I'm not in Seattle. First they got tons of snow, then a good coating of ice fell on top of all that. Reminds me of 2006 here. We had 18 inches of snow, followed by a good dose of freezing rain. The ice was so think, I almost could walk on it without breaking through the snow. My gutters got ripped off by the snow that year too. Winter is sooooo fun. :roll:
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I'm sure god has bigger things on his plate than to change the weather for one person...
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Ferno wrote:I'm sure god has bigger things on his plate than to change the weather for one person...
Yeah, he's too busy figuring out plays for Tebow next year, don't you know??
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Urgh, water closing in... :(
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I'm in, or near Seattle. Haven't been many people on the roads the last few days for that precise reason. I'm lucky enough to be able to walk to work, so it's not a big deal for me personally, but...
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

SilverFJ wrote:
Ferno wrote:I'm sure god has bigger things on his plate than to change the weather for one person...
I'm kinda happy the Patriots kicked his high and mighty "Jesus loves me, that's why I'm the best quarterback ever" rear end and dropped his ego down a notch. God, or Jesus, does have a sense of schadenfreude. :mrgreen:
Grendel wrote:Urgh, water closing in... :(
You aren't getting flooded out yet are you Grendel? It's raining pretty good right now too. I hope the rivers don't get any higher and you stay dry. It's been almost as bad as 1996 around here. Maybe 500 feet ain't so bad, but then I have to worry about sliding downhill in some rain soaked landslide.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

tunnelcat wrote:
SilverFJ wrote:
I'm kinda happy the Patriots kicked his high and mighty "Jesus loves me, that's why I'm the best quarterback ever" rear end and dropped his ego down a notch. God, or Jesus, does have a sense of schadenfreude. :mrgreen:
The impression I have from hearing him talk is that Tebow himself is a pretty humble dude. He can't really help it if ESPN chooses to talk about him for half the day.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

tunnelcat wrote:
Grendel wrote:Urgh, water closing in... :(
You aren't getting flooded out yet are you Grendel? It's raining pretty good right now too. I hope the rivers don't get any higher and you stay dry. It's been almost as bad as 1996 around here. Maybe 500 feet ain't so bad, but then I have to worry about sliding downhill in some rain soaked landslide.
I should be ok if the forecasts hold (except the usual water in my backyard..), sitting betw. Murphy's and the Willamette. Got shut off Cv yesterday evening tho. I barely made it home via Crystal Lake Dr before they closed 4th...
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

got 7+ inches of snow tonight. Temps are tolerable though.

Ah, 8 more weeks til spring ........
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Anyone who complains about snow obviously has not lived in Fargo the last couple of years.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Avder wrote:Anyone who complains about snow obviously has not lived in Fargo the last couple of years.
Yeah?

Calgary, Alberta. Close to 50 inches of snow, and almost -50. Fahrenheit. Now try walking in that.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

I Love Snow

it's great for Business :mrgreen:
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Top Gun wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:I'm kinda happy the Patriots kicked his high and mighty "Jesus loves me, that's why I'm the best quarterback ever" rear end and dropped his ego down a notch. God, or Jesus, does have a sense of schadenfreude. :mrgreen:
The impression I have from hearing him talk is that Tebow himself is a pretty humble dude. He can't really help it if ESPN chooses to talk about him for half the day.
Well, I'm still happy the Patriots won. Maybe ESPN will let up on all the nonsense. :mrgreen:

Grendel wrote:I should be ok if the forecasts hold (except the usual water in my backyard..), sitting betw. Murphy's and the Willamette. Got shut off Cv yesterday evening tho. I barely made it home via Crystal Lake Dr before they closed 4th...
Good to hear. River water was not meant to be inside a house. Both those rivers should be going down by now too, even with the big storm today. At least you don't live up by Conifer Blvd. One little creek really made a huge mess. Kind of reminds of 1996, where we couldn't even get out of Corvallis for days we were so surrounded by flood waters.

CUDA wrote: I Love Snow

it's great for Business :mrgreen:
I'll bet, for you maybe. :P
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Ferno wrote:
Avder wrote:Anyone who complains about snow obviously has not lived in Fargo the last couple of years.
Yeah?

Calgary, Alberta. Close to 50 inches of snow, and almost -50. Fahrenheit. Now try walking in that.
Been there a couple of times in the past few years. Well maybe not -50 (-40 isnt much better), but weve got that snowfall amount beaten by at least double.

This year so far has felt like summer right up until a few days ago.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

I can't imagine -50 in 50" of snow. -2 in 12" is bad enough, but doable if you wear the right clothes. -50, man my car wouldn't even start.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

The weekend snow is all melted by now here in Philly.

I used to live further south... 5,000 ft elevation and it felt like spring year round... it was great, but I actually kinda missed the snow.

If I had my druthers, we'd move north to a small-town rural area at some point. My wife isn't having it, though. Something about it being too cold and there not being enough shopping. I keep telling that's what jackets and UPS is for.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Avder wrote: Been there a couple of times in the past few years. Well maybe not -50 (-40 isnt much better), but weve got that snowfall amount beaten by at least double.

over eight feet of snow? that sounds kind of far fetched...
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

sdfgeoff wrote:Let me gloat....
Over here it's summer, and we are having nice hot days.
Down here at 50m above sea level we rarely have snow stick for more than a few hours, but my experience in walking in the deep stuff while tramping let's me sympathize.
Nice hot days?? Uggh!! Right now there's no such thing! Its 109 degrees F outside right now. Over the past week we have had temperatures of 95, 102, 106, 108, 99 and 109 today. Next week will be 99, 94, 99, 97 and 97 before we finally get a cool change with a top temp of 88.

15 inches of snow sounds like sheer heaven right now.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That sounds positively miserable. We've even warmed up here in the Pacific Northwest. My 6 inches of snow is only a memory. The snow pack in the mountains is waaaay below average too. Summer's going to be very short on water if we don't get more this winter. So far, it's not looking very favorable for much more mountain snow.

NASA did some animations using global temperatures from 1885 to 2009. The trend shows things warming up over time, not cooling. You Aussies can attest to that. You've had some hot summers. Ours seem to be trending warmer with less moisture over time too.

http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a0 ... index.html
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Ferno wrote:
Avder wrote: Been there a couple of times in the past few years. Well maybe not -50 (-40 isnt much better), but weve got that snowfall amount beaten by at least double.

over eight feet of snow? that sounds kind of far fetched...
The previous two winters we've had between 80-100 inches of snow for the season, a big portion of it right up front. The drifts were so high that you could not possibly see over them when driving, making any turns at intersections not controlled by stoplights potentially very dangerous. Combined with a couple of months in the deep freeze and you have what I consider to be the worst winters of any winters since Ive been alive.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

And how much snow cover do you have right now?
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

tunnelcat wrote:And how much snow cover do you have right now?
Surprisingly not much at all. Couple of inches, all half melted and refroze cause this has been one weird winter.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I'm very disappointed with this winter.

We've gotten very little snow.... it's just sad.

Maybe I need to move further north.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

The Hadron Collidor is producing waste products no one can see yet and contaminating everything on an atomic scale. Screwing with the perfect balance of things. :mrgreen: Lol

EDIT: I'm only half kidding considering the widely accepted(whatever that means;) theory is that everything we see in the Universe was once confined to an area smaller than your fist. But I digest, err digress.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Well so much for the snow, its March 20th and we had to mow the yard. Set record highs for upwards of 6 days in a row. I hope this isn't indicative of summer because if it is, we're in for a serious scorcher.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Hah! It's been cold and rainy here. Might even get low elevation snow AGAIN tomorrow night. Been happening at least once every week for about a month. Always seems to hit the night before garbage day too............ Spring has not sprung yet for the Pacific NW. :roll:
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

My current theory is that we'll be in the dead heat of summer by May, and then when August rolls around, fall will come early.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

:shock:

Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

It was like 77 degrees outside last week here in Moorhead.

The Red River, which is infamous for its spring floods, dirt not flood at all for the first time since 92.

Best winter ever.