Looking for a D1 mission

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Looking for a D1 mission

Post by snoopy »

I have a vivid memory of my first glimpse of D1, and I haven't managed to track down the true source of the memory.

I remember watching a guy playing descent, and he reached a "puzzle" of sorts. There was a room that had four columns in it, and a door on the far end that you needed to get through. You couldn't shoot the door open, but as you flew over each pillar, one quarter of the door opened. To get through, you had to do some quick flying of a circuit over the pillars, and then fly through.

I watched along about to see him get through, and then left.

I'm sure it was a D1 mission. I believe that he was playing single player. I don't remember a sense of the scale of the room, or the textures involved.

Anyone know what level it would have been?
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re: Looking for a D1 mission

Post by CDN_Merlin »

This reminds me on Level 6 in D3 single where you have to follow a certain path around pillars to open a door.

I don't remember any levels like this in D1 or d2 single as it's the most single player I've played for Descent.

It might of been a add-on level made of which I didn't play many of.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

:| I played a lot of addon D1 SP (beyond the acid trip that was LoTW - which I still haven't played all of) and haven't encountered a level that specifically did that.

It'd be really easy to make a level that does this but that's not what you're asking for of course.

There was a D1 level I used to have that seemed really more of a showcase of all the weird stuff you can make in Descent, with quite a bit of 4D, as well as a large door that was really made of 9 doors. They'd all open at once when you passed through a trigger, making it sound really big and powerful (it was otherwise locked).

Can't say I know what your level was. I can't even remember the name of the level I just went on about.
We will not have signatures in the future.
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sdfgeoff »

Enzo, that "mega door" sounds like "Combat Deluxe"
Eh?
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

It's not combat deluxe. I have that level. I dunno if combat deluxe has any (noticeable, deliberate) 4D in it. This one just had a bunch of rooms to one side , with what looked like boxes with deformed (?) cubes inside you could fly through and weird stuff would happen. It was trippy.

edit: I just played through combat deluxe. It doesn't have any 4D in it at all that I am aware of, and there's no mega doors. This is getting a bit offtopic and I wasn't asking for help looking for any particular levels. Snoopy was :mrgreen:
We will not have signatures in the future.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

It was definitely a custom-made level.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan