Soylent Pink

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Soylent Pink

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ewwwwwwww! But the USDA thinks it's safe for the school lunch program! How can it be bad for you? :shock:

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/03/05 ... slime-1-3/
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Soylent Pink

Post by Krom »

I notice that the guy that got this ★■◆● approved used to work for the beef industry before he was appointed to the regulators, and afterwards he went on to work for Tyson foods... Same kind of corruption, different industry. It is an epidemic, I wonder if there is an industry left in America that isn't infected.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Yeah this revolving door ★■◆● is pretty sickening. Is there anything that can be done about it in a free market society? Can't really tell a business who they can or can't hire...
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You do know boys that pink slime is also being put into most branded pre-packaged store bought hamburger don't you? Why only make profit off of school kids?

If our government has been bought by free enterprise, that means free enterprise already runs things anyway. They're just using the government as a stamp of approval for their crookedness. My question is how would we prevent this type of food adulteration if the government was NOT involved in regulating things at all? All the free market conservatives I hear keep saying we should let the free market decide how to run things and that it will take care of itself and everything will be hunky dory.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Except the current market in pretty much every sector is dominated by monopoly players who are protected by self installed anti-regulations making it anything but free.

Or perhaps their definition actually means "free from competition".
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

And free from the consequences. :wink:
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Krom is exactly right. The first and foremost thing that has to be done to preserve a free market and free society is to prevent any kind of monopoly. Exactly what our whorish government officials have allowed. I remember:
How the Monopoly Began

These CLECs are going out of business after only being in operation, just a few years. It is very tough for them to gain a market share when they are competing with a company that has essentially been around for century. AT&T or American Telegraph and Telephone, was a monopoly that was built up through a century of government protection, tax dollars, and subsidies. The government saw what effect AT&T was having on the nation in innovation and pricing, and was fed up with their antics. Pricing at the time in the early 1980’s for Telecommunication service was very high compared to the prices and the average household income of today. So to try and foster competition, the government broke AT&T up into eight individual companies. The eight companies were the long distance company still known today as AT&T and seven Regional Bell Operating Companies (RBOCs). Now through mergers and acquisitions the seven RBOCs are back down to four. These 4 RBOCs, who now have a stranglehold on the telecom industry, are: Verizon, BellSouth, SBC, and Qwest.

This government interference opened up room for competition in long distance services that we have today. This was an effective breakup because AT&T was no longer associated with the RBOC’s, and had to pay for local network access to the RBOCs just like the new, enterprising long distance carriers. Although AT&T still owned most of the long haul/long distance lines, it was finally close to being on a level playing field with the likes of MCI and SPRINT. MCI and SPRINT still at times needed to lease parts of the AT&T long haul network to provide their service, but they were now equal in paying for access in the local markets.
http://www.stockskill.net/NPNTQ/Monopol ... ustry.html

I remember when this happened. First time around, ATT was broken up because of huge public outcry. This apparently desensitized the public because a few years later they did the same thing and not a peep was heard. Now, I really don't see a wayback, unless our government starts breaking these companies up again.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

What I think is that our government needs to be divorced from Corporate America by any means possible and control returned to the people. The free market is fine, but it only works for all parties when there are fair and just rules and impartial referees to see that they are followed.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Gross. Why I bought my own meat grinder years ago. :wink:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/n ... l?page=all
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Think these governors and their little "campaign" will ever "convince" our grossed out minds that this stuff is a "safe to eat" food product supported "by science"? If people saw that picture at the top of the article, they'd never touch the stuff in a million years. :P

http://www.northiowatoday.com/?p=14432
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

I've been a vegetarian for many years. Everyone should try to eat less meat anyway.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

But animals taste too good!

(...except when they're slime.)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Top Gun wrote:But animals taste too good!

The MEAT and the FAT taste good. The ground to a pulp, chemically treated to kill pathogens that wouldn't be there if they followed safe slaughtering practices, left over bits of meat stuck to bones and skin, veins, connective tissue and cartilage are NOT LEAN, TRIMMED BEEF! :P

When I went to college, the institutional food in the dorms was horrible. But the worst stuff they foisted on us was something we charitably called: "Presto Log Turkey". It was a ground up amalgam of turkey fat, connective tissue, an occasional bone bit and white and dark meat chunks pressed and formed into "logs" and sliced into appetizing slabs that they covered in gravy to hide the mess. That was usually served up as our other choice on the same night in which they also served us a ground up, slimy piece of tube meat product called: "Polish Sausage". Nasty. On those nights, off to the area pizza joints we charged! :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

tunnelcat wrote:
Top Gun wrote:But animals taste too good!

The MEAT and the FAT taste good. The ground to a pulp, chemically treated to kill pathogens that wouldn't be there if they followed safe slaughtering practices, left over bits of meat stuck to bones and skin, veins, connective tissue and cartilage are NOT LEAN, TRIMMED BEEF! :P

When I went to college, the institutional food in the dorms was horrible. But the worst stuff they foisted on us was something we charitably called: "Presto Log Turkey". It was a ground up amalgam of turkey fat, connective tissue, an occasional bone bit and white and dark meat chunks pressed and formed into "logs" and sliced into appetizing slabs that they covered in gravy to hide the mess. That was usually given as our other choice on the same night in which they also served us a ground up, slimy piece of tube meat product called: "Polish Sausage". Nasty. On those nights, off to the area pizza joints we charged! :P