Anybody played Miner Wars 2081?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Oosik
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Anybody played Miner Wars 2081?

Post by Oosik »

I am getting prepared for Planetside 2 which has better Physics than Planetside 1 with the flight dynamics being 100 times more difficult than the original. I was looking around for another D3 like game to practice with my new computer and new joystick without having to go through the hassle of fiddling with all the dosbox stuff or command line stuff to get D3 running on a current system. I came across Miner Wars 2081 being advertised as a 6 degrees of freedom game. Anyone looked at or played this game? Currently I think it is available to download for free in some kind of an alpha or even early beta.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: Anybody played Miner Wars 2081?

Post by Isaac »

I'm waiting for the linux version! :E
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Considering the multitude of broken promises ("multiplayer by 2011", anyone?), outright lies in marketing (well documented), and the fact that they are still (for years now!) collecting money for a product which has yet to show anything more than a good-looking-but-still-limited-to-local-play demo... hell no.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I agree with foil. I've only played the demo that have out for everyone and it's not that great. It's been to long with any real updated demo or something better than what they have. I will not purchase this game.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I'll probably purchase the game...when it ships a working full version.
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

My interest in the game plummeted when it stopped running well on my system. I still have some of the old, old, old test build installers but oh well. I've seen the broken promises with that game too but I'm not really into the game anymore.
We will not have signatures in the future.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Unlike Foil, with his possibly flame-provoking negative attitude (I do get a little angry when I see anyone openly insulting anyone else), I think that Miner Wars will eventually be finished and it will end up better than Foil thinks it will.
But like Foil, I think it's going to take a lot longer than KSH says it will, and I think KSH knows that.
In the interests of fairness I will point out that the public demo has got an enourmous update just a few weeks ago and it's more than just a tech demo now, even if only slightly.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Oosik wrote:[..] I was looking around for another D3 like game to practice with my new computer and new joystick without having to go through the hassle of fiddling with all the dosbox stuff or command line stuff to get D3 running on a current system.
No dosbox needed, minor command line setup. D3 on W7x64, easy.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Grendel wrote:
Oosik wrote:[..] I was looking around for another D3 like game to practice with my new computer and new joystick without having to go through the hassle of fiddling with all the dosbox stuff or command line stuff to get D3 running on a current system.
Actually you can ignore pretty much everything in that thread because D3 runs on Windows Vista/7 x64 out of the box. While there might be a small benefit to disabling vsync, the relevance of doing so for Descent 3 is increasingly questionable on modern hardware (especially with triple buffering vsync available for opengl games). It is also not necessary to disable visual themes or desktop composition to run D3; although if you do, it will probably run some irrelevantly small fraction faster, like 850 FPS instead of 845 fps.
Oosik
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Oosik »

Thanks to everyone for the input on Miner Wars. I think I will get D3 and give it a whirl once my new system gets here. So run it in opengl only I take it. I'll try it straight out of the box and then if I need help come back here and whine and beg. :-)

Krom wrote:
Grendel wrote:
Actually you can ignore pretty much everything in that thread because D3 runs on Windows Vista/7 x64 out of the box. While there might be a small benefit to disabling vsync, the relevance of doing so for Descent 3 is increasingly questionable on modern hardware (especially with triple buffering vsync available for opengl games). It is also not necessary to disable visual themes or desktop composition to run D3; although if you do, it will probably run some irrelevantly small fraction faster, like 850 FPS instead of 845 fps.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Alter-Fox wrote:Unlike Foil...
I think that Miner Wars will eventually be finished...
I never said I thought it wouldn't eventually be finished; it might, even with all the development cutbacks they're apparently making.
Alter-Fox wrote:...and it will end up better than Foil thinks it will.
I never said it would be a poor game, either; what little they have looks fine.

-----

Yes, I have a problem with them asking for $$ from customers for a product years before it is even in a legitimate alpha stage.

However, what I *really* take exception to is marketing and investment-advertising filled with blatant deception (e.g. falsely claiming they would be 'featured' at a game conference, hiring a third party to write industry articles and posting them as big-name promotion, etc.).

If I was an investor, I'd stay the heck away. As a consumer, I'm not holding my breath. :wink:
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I've dealt with companies that are far, far more deceptive (and far more insidious about it) than that. Interplay, for example (even if I only really dealt with them indirectly I could still smell the Mustela on their contract :P).

My only real problem is that, with their deception a little more apparent they become scapegoats for the entire western corporate culture, despite (nay, because) the fact that they are probably trying harder than the others to be honest.
I know you will ask me to qualify that.

Qualification of that:
They really suck at lying. If they weren't trying to be honest Foil would have a lot more examples to complain about :wink: .
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

there's no such thing.
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Alter-Fox wrote:Qualification of that:
They really suck at lying. If they weren't trying to be honest Foil would have a lot more examples to complain about :wink: .
x2!!!!!!!
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

x3.

Alter-Fox has a point there, something I didn't analyze before, and it seems he's totally right. :mrgreen:
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Major Wars 3000 will be better.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Minor wars 3000: by Kony
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

roid wrote:Minor wars 3000: by Kony
If you make jokes about Kony, Uganda have a bad time.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

an interesting spoonerism: Pony Slaystation.
also have you guys looked into this Ubunti philosophoy? it's pretty savvy. I'm kinda angry they named an operating system after such a widereaching philospphy.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I'll name my next os after you. RoidOS.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

until it actually exists as a stand-alone retail game, that hasn't been created with the money from the community, nope.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

There's a better chance I'll give money to sdfgeoff's games than yet another non linux shooter.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yes well, that's called OS bias.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

i.e. you can play around with Linux, but if that's the only OS you rely on, prepare for pain. :P
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

I think that I tried an early demo... looked pretty nice... but it is hard to tell how well it will play until it comes out.

I will reserve judgement until that time... Who knows... MW2081 may be an excellent game and will be on my home PC as soon as it comes out... We'll see!

---

Due to a lack of really good 3D Space Simulations... I am playing Star Trek Online using a Mouse to fly with... That was hard to get used to at first... not so bad now... still would like to use my joystick however.

Tried EVE Online but was EXTREMELY disappointed in not being able to jump in an actually engage in a Space Battle at all... I HATE Simulated Space Battles... I want to fly and shoot up enemies in space... Alas, EVE Online didn't last 2 hours on my PC. IF and WHEN I want to see Simulated Space Battles, then I will go to say an IMAX Theater and Watch a movie like Star Wars or Star Trek, etc.

Black Prophecy looked nice but FAILED miserably when I needed to configure to use my GOOD Old Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro 2... First time, I tried the game you lagged like crazy just trying to configure the joystick because they didn't allow you to PAUSE to configure the joystick. Tried BP a second time and still the piss poor joystick configuration... they want you to go out and BUY a NEW Joystick instead of FIXING their horrible joystick configuration. Open Sourced Descent 1 and 2, as well as Freespace 1 and 2 have EXCELLENT joystick code that they could have looked into... But the developers writing BP seem to be too damnable lazy to use GOOD Code from any of those for joystick configuration. So BP was dumped never to see disk space on my computer again.

So for the present time the ONLY online game that I am playing is Star Trek Online with 3 Federation and 3 Klingon Characters... My Federation Tactical Character is the one that I mostly play at the moment.

Meanwhile back to the daily grind of Work, Play, and Sleep.

Happy Hunting to you All,
SirWinner

P. S. Yes, I occasionally drop in to the DBB... but Real Life(tm) has been extremely busy at work lately.

:D
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Top Gun wrote:i.e. you can play around with Linux, but if that's the only OS you rely on, prepare for pain. :P
3 years and my only pain is having to use Winblows, required to be used in the classroom equip with them...
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

is minerwars gonna be on linux?
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

There hasn't really been any info on that yet.
They're building the game initially for Windows and Xbox 360, but they've said that they are considering other platforms to port to later.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Nah.. I doubt they're cool enough to port to linux. I can see them saying "derp derp, if people want to play our game they can switch to windows! It's better that way!!!!"
Then I'll say, "no it's not..."
"Derp derp... Yeah it is! Windooze is the best!"

Then a high priced assassin kills them for free, for being retarded. Then the assassin realized, he was... a hero.

All the towns people at the dbb then hoisted the new hero on their shoulders and carried him all around the PTMC cafe.

Meanwhile, a telescope looked down upon them from the highest darkest tower of Electronic Arts. A dark sinister voice said, "They stopped our evil plans to make the worst 6DOF game of all time! If it wasn't for that blasted assassin!... We'll get you next time dbb! NEEEXT TIIIIME!!!"