Weight loss trick. 100% success.

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Weight loss trick. 100% success.

Post by Isaac »

"Go workout for about an hour a day. Eat regular, without snacking all day."

That's the answer I always give when fat people ask me how I got in shape. Its funny how they always expect something else. I also tell them that's what I keep doing. It's more than a weight loss method. It's away of life.

I also hear, "but snacking helps me--", no, shut the hell up. You're probably wasting a ton of money and eating a lot more than a normal person would.

"But I don't have time to work out an hour a day". Give me a break. I bet if I followed you around, I'd find where you waste time. "But I need my 30 minute breaks". Yeah... for your snacking.

edit:
"Life is like a box of chocolates. It doesn't last as long for fat people." Find a way to get fit.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Weight loss trick. 100% success.

Post by vision »

Heh, it's not quite that simple and easy for most people. Consider yourself lucky. I consider myself lucky because, like you, I can get in shape easily following the same rules. But many people struggle with environmental factors that drag them down. The two big ones are family and work. It's hard to strike a balance between your duties as an employee and a spouse/parent, and your own health. Most people don't take action until they have a health scare. And some people just aren't that unhappy being out of shape. Making changes in your health often requires changes to unexpected areas in your life and you can become quickly overwhelmed; the task grows impossible for some.

You can have 100% success with your trick -- provided a myriad of other factors are in place too...
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I really need to get in shape myself, but my biggest hurdle is that, not being in shape, those times when I do go through some strenuous exercise, I always feel awful afterwards, which dissuades me from doing it regularly. I know it's a hump that you have to get over, but I've never managed to motivate myself that much yet.

And snacking-wise, screw it. You only live once. :P
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Top Gun wrote:I really need to get in shape myself, but my biggest hurdle is that, not being in shape, those times when I do go through some strenuous exercise, I always feel awful afterwards, which dissuades me from doing it regularly. I know it's a hump that you have to get over, but I've never managed to motivate myself that much yet.
I actually have a trick for this.

First of all, working out is a reward for being on top of your schedule, giving you time to go. It pisses me off when I can't go.

Also, Top Gun, if you're still out of shape, consider yourself "recovering", not "working out". Your muscles can take more punishment than your joints. What you need to be working on the most is getting used to the routine. That's more important! If you don't have a daily routine, a default location you go to when it's workout time, you'll have a much harder time training. That debate on, "do I really need to go" is a killer when you're starting out. Get used to going.

Top Gun, weights are good (strength is bad ass), but think of those also as your reward for getting cardio done. You need to get your long distance training first. It's boring for beginners, but nothing trims you more and going faster becomes very addicting. Trust me when I say all other cardio sucks compared to running/walking. It also is good for your brain. If you can't run 3 miles straight then you need to do this: walk 2 miles a day and run for a small part of it. As you become more conditioned, increase the distance you run. You'll be amazed how much nasty fat you lose. Use the bike machine when you injure a joint, otherwise it does crap (fat people use bike machines to watch tv). A real bike is better, but won't train you as well as running, because you can't coast when you run.

After 3 months of running and weight training you'll feel like a long range missile.

TL;DR, Top Gun, for the first 3 months:
1) Routine: Get used to going to work out.
2) Train as if "recovering".
3) Your minimal workout: 2miles (run/walk).
4) #3 done? Weights are the reward.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

ya and your both under 40. it's much easier to stay in shape in your 20's and 30's than it is in your 40's and 50's
For men it's a testosterone issue, you lose it. and the more you lose, the more difficult it is to keep off the weight and build the muscle. plus you're more prone to injury as you age. I know. I'm 51 and I was working out an hour a day for over 2 years getting into shape. I was feeling good had more stamina, then injury after injury :(
I currently have a problem with my sciatic nerve which is causing me burning pain in my legs and feet. and that's just the latest in a line of 5 injuries. I haven't been to the gym in 8 months because of it. which has cause the weight to start adding on.
some people are lazy and stay fat. some are unfortunate and have a hard time trying to stay thin
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

CUDA wrote:I currently have a problem with my sciatic nerve which is causing me burning pain in my legs and feet. and that's just the latest in a line of 5 injuries. I haven't been to the gym in 8 months because of it. which has cause the weight to start adding on.
Don't give in: Core and upper body.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I feel that one Cuda. I picked up a 22' beam when I was 18 and stepped off into a dried mud puddle with my right foot. Beam kept going after my foot stopped :P.2 burst disks and a bad hip joint. Like the hardhead I am, I kept working for the next 20 years until it finally just gave out completely. I've been down about 3 years now and just to the point that activity does it good instead of twisted up pain for the next 3 days, but that 3 years of downtime has probably cut years off my life.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

flip wrote:I feel that one Cuda. I picked up a 22' beam when I was 18 and stepped off into a dried mud puddle with my right foot. Beam kept going after my foot stopped :P.2 burst disks and a bad hip joint. Like the hardhead I am, I kept working for the next 20 years until it finally just gave out completely. I've been down about 3 years now and just to the point that activity does it good instead of twisted up pain for the next 3 days, but that 3 years of downtime has probably cut years off my life.
You can't even do the bike machine? I mean it's sitting and no impact on joints.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

This applies to any kind of goal:
[youtube]DriSmFYnUeo[/youtube]
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Isaac, you just don't (yet) understand the issues that become the 'normal' when you get older. Your time will come.

Now that you're in shape, stay in shape. Then when you reach the older ages, you'll understand better but please remember that if you're already in shape when you reach that point, it will be easier for you to endure. If you're not in shape when you reach that point, you'll get the full 'picture'.

Oh, and you said that "strength is badass" ... When you get to the older ages, not so much... Unless you've balanced well for agility. If you haven't, then all that strength and muscle will be your curse. I've seen quite a few guys who were heavy on the strength and muscle and now that they're older they can hardly do anything. Go for the agility.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

TechPro wrote:Now that you're in shape, stay in shape. Then when you reach the older ages, you'll understand better but please remember that if you're already in shape when you reach that point, it will be easier for you to endure. If you're not in shape when you reach that point, you'll get the full 'picture'.
I know what you mean. And if I ever got out of shape at mid-age I'd rather die trying to stay fit than decay while I'm alive.
TechPro wrote:Oh, and you said that "strength is badass" ... // Go for the agility.
This is what I was saying. reread my post or my TL;DR section. "Weights are the reward."
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Isaac wrote:
CUDA wrote:I currently have a problem with my sciatic nerve which is causing me burning pain in my legs and feet. and that's just the latest in a line of 5 injuries. I haven't been to the gym in 8 months because of it. which has cause the weight to start adding on.
Don't give in: Core and upper body.
you cannot work core and upper body while your legs are burning. posture is everything when you lift. when I sit I have to sit funny to relieve the paid in my legs. not to mention the abdominal hernia I suffered while lifting :mrgreen:
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

I guess my point is there is no 100% success all encompassing weight loss routine, every routine is tailored to the individual

― Theodore Roosevelt
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Then what's you're plan, CUDA? Did you give up on working out?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

TechPro wrote:Isaac, you just don't (yet) understand the issues that become the 'normal' when you get older. Your time will come.
Quoted to reinforce the truth in the message. Issac, listen to CUDA and TechPro.

There are some things you won't understand until they happen to you, like CUDA's sciatic nerve problems. I've had sciatic nerve problems in the past and it really does affect your ability to do everything (and yes, you even have to sit funny). Your simple mantra of "work out for an hour and eat right" is great when you are young. As you get older, you have to get creative about health; scientific even. "Eat right" becomes a constant monitoring and timing of calories and nutrients based on your needs as an older person whose body has gone through changes. "Work out an hour a day" becomes "what can I do today considering which joints in my body can handle resistance." The time an older person needs to stay healthy is much larger than a young person because of all the extra attention and planning needed to avoid injury and manage recovery. And like I said earlier, it's not easy to maintain health when work and relationships interfere with your own wants and needs.

And let's not even get started on the root causes of motivation.

But I will say it's great to hear you are so interested in health. So keep it up! But do your best to not be critical of others with their health because sometimes there is nothing they can realistically do about it even if the desire is there. Life isn't a NIKE ad. Not everyone can "Just do it." If they could, they would.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Isaac wrote:"Go workout for about an hour a day. Eat regular, without snacking all day."

That's the answer I always give when fat people ask me how I got in shape. Its funny how they always expect something else. I also tell them that's what I keep doing. It's more than a weight loss method. It's away of life.

I also hear, "but snacking helps me--", no, shut the hell up. You're probably wasting a ton of money and eating a lot more than a normal person would.

"But I don't have time to work out an hour a day". Give me a break. I bet if I followed you around, I'd find where you waste time. "But I need my 30 minute breaks". Yeah... for your snacking.

edit:
"Life is like a box of chocolates. It doesn't last as long for fat people." Find a way to get fit.
LOL! Great post.

People need more activity and better food in general (not "health" food, better food).
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

You can't even do the bike machine? I mean it's sitting and no impact on joints.
I'm actually at the point now that sitting for long periods is not excruciating :). For a long while, the only thing that would ease the pain was hard work, so I worked harder. Just couldn't sustain it after 20 years :P.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

vision wrote:
TechPro wrote:Isaac, you just don't (yet) understand the issues that become the 'normal' when you get older. Your time will come.
Quoted to reinforce the truth in the message. Issac, listen to CUDA and TechPro.

There are some things you won't understand until they happen to you, like CUDA's sciatic nerve problems. I've had sciatic nerve problems in the past and it really does affect your ability to do everything (and yes, you even have to sit funny). Your simple mantra of "work out for an hour and eat right" is great when you are young. As you get older, you have to get creative about health; scientific even. "Eat right" becomes a constant monitoring and timing of calories and nutrients based on your needs as an older person whose body has gone through changes. "Work out an hour a day" becomes "what can I do today considering which joints in my body can handle resistance." The time an older person needs to stay healthy is much larger than a young person because of all the extra attention and planning needed to avoid injury and manage recovery. And like I said earlier, it's not easy to maintain health when work and relationships interfere with your own wants and needs.

I don't agree. I'm 64 and had heart surgery last Sept. Working within the confines of what the heart surgeon (whom I can't recommend highly enough) I started by walking 3/4 of a mile 3 time a day, lightly using weights and working up to where I now jog up and down my stairs 12 times (14treads), use 50 lbs on my dumbbells (25 lbs on each) and walk at a brisk pace for about a mile. My daughter has gotten me to using organic foods (ho hormones or additives) so now I'm eating better. And I live alone. So all the BS about how you can't do it is just that...BS. My motto is , "If you want to live like a invalid, you'll be a invalid." Living poorly and being a couch potato is a choice. So, especially if you are getting older, it is more important than ever to get up and move around before you atrophy yourself into a wheelchair.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

woodchip wrote:My daughter has gotten me to using organic foods (ho hormones or additives) so now I'm eating better.
Good to hear. My parents and my brothers and sisters are moving in that direction. Grass-fed beef, cutting out aspartame (actually the first to go), no MSG, no hormones, drinking non-fluoridated water,...

It adds up.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote:I don't agree. Living poorly and being a couch potato is a choice.
But you still prove my point. First, congratulations on your successful surgery, your recovered health, and your supportive family. It sounds like everything is in place for you to achieve your health goals. :) Second, not everyone is so lucky, even if the will is there. Some people who are "couch potatoes" suffer from depression; for which there is currently no cure (but some can recover from). Of course, other people are just lazy, haha. To make my point clear, Isaac's "100% weight loss trick" is exactly that -- a trick. There are innumerable factors that contribute to a healthy life and those need to be in place for "eat right, exercise" to work.

Now that my childhood friend's and I are older I've become a preachy bastard about health. They hate it. But I don't just say "eat right, exercise ... it's easy!" I do say "let's look at the obstacles that are keeping you from ideal health." Most of the time it involves commitments to work and family that aren't so easy to manage. Lifestyle changes are complicated at best and sometimes the prospect of better health isn't perceived as worth the effort, especially if you are just a little out of shape.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Weight loss is the easiest thing in the world…simple as pie…

Just take in fewer calories than you burn in a day…no tricks involved.

Now staying in shape, that’s a different story altogether, and actually takes effort.

But any effort is worth its weight in gold, because working out regulates metabolism.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:I don't agree. I'm 64 and had heart surgery last Sept. Working within the confines of what the heart surgeon (whom I can't recommend highly enough) I started by walking 3/4 of a mile 3 time a day, lightly using weights and working up to where I now jog up and down my stairs 12 times (14treads), use 50 lbs on my dumbbells (25 lbs on each) and walk at a brisk pace for about a mile. My daughter has gotten me to using organic foods (ho hormones or additives) so now I'm eating better. And I live alone. So all the BS about how you can't do it is just that...BS. My motto is , "If you want to live like a invalid, you'll be a invalid." Living poorly and being a couch potato is a choice. So, especially if you are getting older, it is more important than ever to get up and move around before you atrophy yourself into a wheelchair.

good advice, and good to hear you have done so well, although a shame it took heart issues to get you there(damned risky stuff).
Congrats on the willpower you've shown!
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Women have trouble keeping that weight off after menopause. Our bodies try to compensate for the loss of estrogen by making more fat. Fat actually makes a little amount of estrogen, so the more fat you have, the more estrogen your body makes, in both women and MEN. A little fat in older women is actually good for our bones because of that estrogen production, so I maintain some little love handles around my middle to compensate for my ovaries shutting down. :mrgreen:

Wow CUDA, only 51 and falling apart so soon? You've got sciatica, so have you tried swimming for exercise? Sorry to hear you're in so much pain from it. Nerve pain really sucks and it's hard to treat once it gets going.

I've got reoccurring piriformus syndrome, a similar but not as bad as a sciatica nerve impingement problem, which causes burning pain in my right leg and foot at times. It all depends on how long I sit whether that nerve gets pinched too long and acts up. Fat deposits in the piriformus muscle contributes to the problem as well. Then on top of that, I've had symptoms of pre-diabetic neuropathy in both feet. My right foot actually has a permanently numb area now. Can't do a lot of walking with that one because it causes severe foot pain in a short time. That problem I HAVE been able to control however with weight loss and especially eating right to keep my blood sugar in check. :wink:

Woodchip, sorry you've had heart problems too. I hope things were fixed during surgery. Walking is one of those things the docs recommend to keep the heart strong. Boring, but effective. My dad had a bypass done years ago and a pacemaker installed later. If you don't have to have one of those things, avoid it if possible. They never seem to keep up the heart rate enough when doing more than just sitting on your butt. Half the time my dad has a bluish tinge to his lips and fingertips just when he walks around, and he's tired a lot too.

Oh, and Spidey, weight loss is easy, it's the keeping it off that's hard. Food is just too addicting. :wink:

To all those youngsters out there, enjoy things while you can and the best thing you can do is quit eating sugars! No matter what you do however, It's downhill from this point on, no matter how much you try to stave it off. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

woodchip wrote:
vision wrote:

I don't agree. I'm 64 and had heart surgery last Sept. Working within the confines of what the heart surgeon (whom I can't recommend highly enough) I started by walking 3/4 of a mile 3 time a day, lightly using weights and working up to where I now jog up and down my stairs 12 times (14treads), use 50 lbs on my dumbbells (25 lbs on each) and walk at a brisk pace for about a mile. My daughter has gotten me to using organic foods (ho hormones or additives) so now I'm eating better. And I live alone. So all the BS about how you can't do it is just that...BS. My motto is , "If you want to live like a invalid, you'll be a invalid." Living poorly and being a couch potato is a choice. So, especially if you are getting older, it is more important than ever to get up and move around before you atrophy yourself into a wheelchair.
there's a HUGE difference there Wood. the heart is a muscle which can be strengthened with exercise. where joint degradation and nerve damage cannot be repaired by exercise.

― Theodore Roosevelt
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

TC wrote:Wow CUDA, only 51 and falling apart so soon? You've got sciatica, so have you tried swimming for exercise? Sorry to hear you're in so much pain from it. Nerve pain really sucks and it's hard to treat once it gets going.
Thanks TC. I'm 6'6" 270lbs
Tall people tend to have more problems with their joints. same number of vertebrae spread further apart makes you prone to more disk herniation. I've already had one fusion in my neck and almost had a second. and I'm worried about the sciatica, going to see the DR this week. plus the weight doesn't help :P
when I herniated the disk in my neck it was the most agonizing pain I've ever felt. 6 weeks of UN-ending hell, 2 hours of sleep a night, lost the use of my left arm. NOTHING would dull the incessant burning in my neck and left side.

― Theodore Roosevelt
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i used to run, but i have knee problems in my family so i'm concerned about inevitably damaging myself. I bikeride now, half to keep my metabolism up and half to stave off depression.
It's amazing how well intense exercise works for depression in me, i'm not cured but i've had better effects than any pills i've been on.

Oh, also i'm finding it kindof fun doing pushups inbetween computer games - during loading screens etc. See how many i can do in a day if i space em all out.

i'm more concerned with having fun than anything else. When you're having fun feeling tired 9iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii444444441111isn't a problem.
(lol ★■◆●ing cat on my keyboard)

i found this guy really inspiring, he's this really energetic nerd. I wish i could find the specific videos where he talks about why he's so weirdly energetic all the time. He's a big kid, i love him.
http://www.youtube.com/user/JMEMantzel
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

@roid
Oh yeah. Exercise always puts me in a better mood.
Pushups are great. Just keep this in mind "What hurts more, the pain of hard work or the pain of regret?"

I think I've seen that guy's other robots.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

FDA Organic Stamped foods = biggest scam in the history of food.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

CUDA wrote:
there's a HUGE difference there Wood. the heart is a muscle which can be strengthened with exercise. where joint degradation and nerve damage cannot be repaired by exercise.
I well know the heart is a muscle and differs a whole bunch from the wearing out of cartilage in joints or the pain from nerve damage. Still you have to find a way to exercise and eat right or you will wind up with even more problems. Gaining weight isn't going to help your hip or knee joints. Eating the right foods may help with nerve problems:

"A healthy diet that is low in fatty meats, dairy and alcohol and high in vegetables, fruits and whole grains can keep neuropathy in check."
http://www.ehow.com/way_5620107_neuropathy-diet.html

"Losing weight might also help to alleviate pressure on sensitized spinal structures, since less weight on the anatomical frame translates into less stress on a problematic herniated disc or problematic vertebrae."
http://www.sciatica-pain.org/sciatica-diet.html

Hope this help Cuda
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

CUDA wrote:
TC wrote:Wow CUDA, only 51 and falling apart so soon? You've got sciatica, so have you tried swimming for exercise? Sorry to hear you're in so much pain from it. Nerve pain really sucks and it's hard to treat once it gets going.
Thanks TC. I'm 6'6" 270lbs
Tall people tend to have more problems with their joints. same number of vertebrae spread further apart makes you prone to more disk herniation. I've already had one fusion in my neck and almost had a second. and I'm worried about the sciatica, going to see the DR this week. plus the weight doesn't help :P
when I herniated the disk in my neck it was the most agonizing pain I've ever felt. 6 weeks of UN-ending hell, 2 hours of sleep a night, lost the use of my left arm. NOTHING would dull the incessant burning in my neck and left side.
Lose the weight CUDA. It's just willpower, and the rewards will be worth it. You WILL feel much better not having to lug all that weight around, I can guarantee it. Carry around a couple of 8 pound 1 gallon jugs of water and you'll see what I mean. Keep away from snacking on any processed foods at all costs and cut down on meal portions. I hated the way I looked and dumped 20 pounds after I gained it during perimenopause and I have way more energy and freedom of movement now, even though I kept some of my little love handles. Old ladies always have love handles. :mrgreen: It also greatly helped with the pre-diabetes and the piriformis nerve problems.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I think there's only one 100% effective trick to weight loss: Manual removal. Even that isn't guaranteed to be long-lasting.

(Please don't hate me for this) If I followed your prescription, I'm almost guaranteed to gain weight in the form of muscle mass. I'm all skin and bones right now.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

VALID POINT. if you weight train you will not lose weight, in fact you usually gain weight, but you will lose fat.

― Theodore Roosevelt
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

CUDA wrote:VALID POINT. if you weight train you will not lose weight, in fact you usually gain weight, but you will lose fat.
I'm starting to work on minor strength training, though I'm not worried about turning into the hulk.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

CUDA wrote:VALID POINT. if you weight train you will not lose weight, in fact you usually gain weight, but you will lose fat.
Yeah, and that's why body mass index isn't all that great of a statistic of how fit you are. It's not quite so much about how much you weigh, as it is what sort of tissue that weight is coming from.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Isaac wrote:
I'm starting to work on minor strength training, though I'm not worried about turning into the hulk.
unless you take steroids you wont.
as I stated I lifted for two years, the advantages of lifting FAR out weight cardio alone, with cardio once you stop, you stop burning fat, with weight training you can burn fat for up to 36 hours after you stop lifting.

― Theodore Roosevelt
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The problem with fat is once you create more fat cells, you can never get rid of them just by exercise. Oh, they shrink down in size when you lose weight and give you the illusion you are thinner, but the little boogers are still there, hungry, just waiting to be fed again. That's why it's so easy to gain the weight back. If you really want to get rid of those extra cells, mechanical removal, liposuction, is the only way. Of course, they will multiply all over again and make new cells if you feed them enough. :P
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Friggin' evolutionary leftovers making us store fat like crazy even though we don't need to anymore. *grumblegrumble*
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

tunnelcat wrote:The problem with fat is once you create more fat cells, you can never get rid of them just by exercise. Oh, they shrink down in size when you lose weight and give you the illusion you are thinner, but the little boogers are still there, hungry, just waiting to be fed again. That's why it's so easy to gain the weight back. If you really want to get rid of those extra cells, mechanical removal, liposuction, is the only way. Of course, they will multiply all over again and make new cells if you feed them enough. :P
I have a hard time believing it works that way.

Evolutionary leftovers is a foolish way to explain parts of our physiology that biologists do not understand.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

They completely understand that part of our physiology...like I said, it's evolutionary leftovers. :P A million years ago, when we were doing the old hunting/gathering thing, there was a definite benefit to the body storing any excess calories as fat, since there was no guarantee when you'd get your next meal, and you had to work hard and expend calories for the meals you did get. (Hell, that was still true for most of the human population until a few centuries ago, and IS still true for much of it.) Nowadays, when you're living in the first world, you're pretty much showered with calories on a daily basis, and you don't even have to so much as leave your car to get them. However, our guts are still stuck in the "store ALL the fat!" mode, even though it's completely useless to us now, and actually actively hurts us, as the obesity epidemic can attest.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Wow that’s an excuse for fat people that I never heard before, and I have heard a lot of them.