Chrome fail... they're retarded.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Chrome fail... they're retarded.

Post by Isaac »

For a while Chrome 13 had an experimental option that let you go from this GUI

to this...

As someone that uses a netbook, I would love this. LOVE IT. A compact GUI is why I occasionally check out the latest version of firefox, which has javascript performance issues on my netbook.

What does google do? Did they continue to refine and shape it to work better? Did they try to get ideas from all the fans of this new feature? Nope, they kill the idea, because they suck.

Here it is in action, if you want...
[youtube]P7oKb13Akj0[/youtube]

This is so Google. This is what they always do!!! They don't put enough effort into a new cool feature, so it dies: Wave, Myspace, Gears, Answers, and Buzz (should just die), just to name a few... Even Google plus has creative laziness I could point out. This GUI-fail shows me, once again, a creative person's idea was killed by some higher-up B player that sucks at life, with no creativity.

...parodying their competitors, that is.

It's like your low level programmers have these great ideas that make it big. But once big, the higher-ups want to make it more “normal”, because they're too chicken ★■◆● to do something new.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Chrome fail... they're retarded.

Post by roid »

i imagine the feature wasn't quite ready yet, and just wait for it.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

It's gone. It's no longer being worked on!!!!

:E <-------------SAD OCTOPUS
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

but has anyone else noticed that Google has started ★■◆●ing things up a lot the past few years? It's like it happened suddenly, i wonder if they laid off a whole lot of their workforce or had some kinda major restructuring.
Before that, it seemed like everything with Google was on the up and up, there was always new exciting stuff comming out, like google Docs, and Wave. But then i started noticing that things wern't working, their websites were breaking, and wern't playing nicely with things. iGoogle and Google docs (services i use a lot) were going bonkers. It was like the original Google programmers who were championing them in the first place, just lost their spark and passion, and it just became a chore. Maybe their collective workload just slipped quietly past a breaking point. Maybe they changed their company focus from a decentralised employee base of agile hyperactive innovation, to company buyouts and petty interface-standardisation?

Does anyone have any ideas or insight into what happened, what IS happening? Was it all gradually building up and i only suddenly noticed it one day?
It used to be like... ★■◆● YEAH GOOGLE! But now it's all like.... chug chug google meh.

Or is it just me who have changed?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

They went to Facebook.

(Or that's what The Interwebs are all telling me.)
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back into you.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

And then the abyss gets hungry and devours you from within.
Wait... the abyss? I thought you were talking about curiosity.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Google realized they were a business and not a research outfit with infinite pockets.

Im not surprised they stopped work on it, with lots of tabs that area of the window gets really busy, and its a significant change in functionality for chrome.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I swear, this is what some B player manager said before pulling the plug on this feature:
fliptw wrote:[we're] a business and not a research outfit with infinite pockets.

[we] stopped work on it, [because], with lots of tabs, that area of the window gets really busy, and it's a significant change in functionality for chrome.
A creative person would reply, "just add scrolling tabs, like in firefox," which would fall on deaf ears since uncreative people can't imagine anything.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

And they apparently either resent that or aren't intelligent enough to take advice, you forgot that part.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

dont' talk ★■◆● about player B.
me and player B go back forerver, player B has gotten me outta some tough situations.
Sure he may not do interfaces too well, BUT SONIC CAN'T FLY A PLANE ON HIS OWN HE HAS ADHD

player B 4 lyfe
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Good guy tails: Lives or dies; doesn't slow Sonic down. Can't be said for Google's B players.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

roid wrote:dont' talk **** about player B.
me and player B go back forerver, player B has gotten me outta some tough situations.
Sure he may not do interfaces too well, BUT SONIC CAN'T FLY A PLANE ON HIS OWN HE HAS ADHD

player B 4 lyfe
So, you think that Sonic games were better when you could play as more characters? And lol you remind me of something Sheldon did lol.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i like the url being there all the time, so i can be reminded of which establishment is serving me the scrumptious dish of words i'm reading.
like flipTW said, that part of the interface would-or-could get really busy with the URL and multiple tabs.

yeah yeah they should have the option, one way or the other, preferentially so ppl can preferentially choose their preferential preferences. But that ★■◆● takes time, and with Google's current "interface standardisation" push, they probably have some complex internal guidelines and policies that have to be weaved through to impliment any kindof new interface features. There's always someone complaining about something they want in an interface.... 100% of the people 100% of the time and all that jazz, you know how it is.
Alter-Fox wrote:
roid wrote:Image
So, you think that Sonic games were better when you could play as more characters? And lol you remind me of something Sheldon did lol.
nah not nessesarily, just good childhood memories of playing multiplayer games with my mates, i was always tails :3
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

My younger brother was Tails, too. Man, the amount of times he'd die in the Chemical Plant Zone...
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

I deeply dislike the UI direction Google is going in, starting with the "red flag"-like redesign of their "+1 button" some time ago. Too much wasted space, no customization like in Gmail (why can't they have themes for Google+ like they do there?), the quasi-copying of Faceboot's "Timeline", the lack of functionality & features in Google+ (Google Calendar integration and more profile options, to name two (2), would be nice), the static header menu bars at the top of the product pages (it sure does take them some time to update those across all pages) etc.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Some of those issues may be around because every other UI element / interface / idea is tied up from some kind of ridiculous and or absurd software patent.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Does Sky's avatar have a ridiculous or absurd software patent? Because it's awesome and I WANT it.

Do you know what I want to patent? The idea that patenting algorithms which are basically mathematical equations which is knowledge in its most basic form is wrong.

If this kind of thing reached the scientific community, can you imagine what would happen?

"I'm sorry, this incredibly revolutionary discovery is false because the researchers used this equation to interpret their results but they didn't pay for the equation."

And after that? Patenting the laws of physics? Suing the universe because people who don't pay you are still affected by gravity? And you don't know better because the knowledge that would enable you to know better is patented and you aren't allowed to learn it?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

IP law is gonna get pretty interesting once we start developing cyberization involving more sophisticated neural interfaces. When memories and skills can be connected and disconnected like transportable commodities. When photographic memory is finally recognised as a threat/shakeup to IP law because the technology finally allows it's recordable content to be transmittable from person to person.

[youtube]6AOpomu9V6Q[/youtube]

Little known fact: Most of what the character Tank is doing in this scene is clicking "yes i agree to the terms and conditions" buttons.
DOWN WITH ZION'S OPPRESSIVE IP MONOPOLY