Paul Ryan

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Paul Ryan

Post by CobGobbler »

Not a bad pick, was surprised to see it.

I'll give Romney this, at least he picked someone worth it this time. I would have pulled my eyes out if he picked some ever-pregnant skank like Sarah Palin. Now woodchip will have to jerk off to Ryan...
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Paul Ryan

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Real classy, Cob.
CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

Thanks Thorne, I'll give some props where it's deserved and it is a decent pick indeed. Now we can see just how willing they are to defend his budget's position of deleting nearly all social programs while giving rich people more tax cuts. If he does a good job at that, then hell, they both deserve to be in the white house.

But, for today, good job Mitt.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Should have used an emoticon or an ellipses. I was talking about the Palin reference, and I was being sarcastic. I'll give Mitt props when he chooses someone to run in his place. ;)
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

interesting pick. At least Ryan does have a plan laid out for the nation's finances. Not that it has proven very popular at all. The way I see it, Romney was forced to go with a more conservative pick than he would have liked in order to have a fired-up base in November. Current poll trends for him are dismal: Obama opening up a 7 point lead nationwide, negatives at 50%, indepedents turning sour on him, swing states almost all trending Obama. Romney is in deep trouble, has been basically outflanked by Obama in such a way that all the money he raised isn't going to matter much(92% say their minds are made up). The only way he wins is by a massive enthusiasm gap on election day. Hence, Ryan.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

This pick kind of flies directly in the face of Campaigning 101: you cater to the hardcore members of your party during the primaries, then move back towards the center in the general election, since you need to win over moderates. As I saw someone note, picking Ryan pretty much guarantees that Obama wins Florida, since all he'll have to do is run some ads stating, "Romney's VP tried to kill Medicare!" :P
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea, I was kinda thinking the VP pick should blur the picture the opponent is trying to paint…not give it more detail.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I would have thought Romney would have picked someone who wouldn't outshine and upstage him. Isn't that an unspoken requirement for veep, don't pick someone that upstages the presidential candidate? Ryan's way more intelligent, smooth, animated and literate sounding than Romney has ever come off in any speech, even though Ryan is a resentful tea partier, plutocrat worshiping Gen X'er, with a chip on his shoulder about Boomers. All those older Boomers looking at retirement, old age infirmity and skyrocketing health care costs are going to want to avoid him like the plague. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

I gave you all the reasoning behind Ryan. Romney is facing disaster, by all current accounting(including Fox's polling which has him down by nearly 10 percent). He has utterly no choice but to bring the base out in droves and hope that the rest of the nation accepts an Obama gimme and has mediocre turnout. It might work, by the way.......
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I'll just copy/paste this as I was thinking about it earlier.
They have all agreed to globalization. That is a fact, now it's about voting for whose course we take to it. Slow and deliberate, like Bernanke, the most frightened man in the world, Or Fast track full steam ahead.
I think the best picture I've seen so far that sums up my perception of this election was 2 piles of dog ★■◆● and having to chose between them. (Bush Sr)Clinton(Bush Jr./Obama)(Romney). That pretty much sums it up for me.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

I'm pumped. Ryan was a great pick. The point of this election is that it is about the economy, stupid. The liberal froth machine will go wild, but they were going to do that regardless of who Romney picked. The real question here is who picks up more pinocchios now in the dueling ad campaigns, the D's or the R's. I predict the D's win the pinocchio race in a landslide.

Ryan will be a great campaigning asset to the Romney ticket, both as a speaker and as a thinker.

Old & Busted: Obama - Biden

New Hotness: Romney - Ryan 2012, baby.
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

keep drinking the kool-aid Dissent. Oh, an Biden will mop the floor with Ryan, especially in the eyes of working men and women.
George Orwell---"1984"
CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

dissent wrote:I'm pumped. Ryan was a great pick. The point of this election is that it is about the economy, stupid. The liberal froth machine will go wild, but they were going to do that regardless of who Romney picked. The real question here is who picks up more pinocchios now in the dueling ad campaigns, the D's or the R's. I predict the D's win the pinocchio race in a landslide.

Ryan will be a great campaigning asset to the Romney ticket, both as a speaker and as a thinker.

Old & Busted: Obama - Biden

New Hotness: Romney - Ryan 2012, baby.
This might qualify as the funniest thing I've ever read. Mitt Romney has the new hotness...my god I'll be laughing at that for days.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

callmeslick wrote:Biden will mop the floor with Ryan,
Seems Slick is into comedy. No, Ryan will have to make sure Biden doesn't plagiarise the intellectual property of Hugo Chavez. (If Biden even remembers where he is during the debate.)
callmeslick wrote:especially in the eyes of working men and women.
If they're not closing their eyes and gritting their teeth when they hear Biden speak like the clown he is (Alzheimer's afflicted or not.)

Trying to scare people with 'they're gonna take your SS checks and starve helpless babies' won't work this time around- especially since Obama's policies are already hitting the working poor the hardest.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

yeah, right, TB, whatever you say..... :roll:

Picking Ryan just killed the ticket for any thinking voter between the ages of 50 and 70. Where you come up with the Altzheimer's
crack about Joe Biden eludes me, also. Just bad taste on your part? The man is actaully quite smart(I've known him personally for over 40 years) and as authentic as they come. Quite the comparison with a guy with zero connection with real workers, whose only job out of politics was a 1 year stint in his family's company and who buys into the Ayn Rand BS.
George Orwell---"1984"
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

dissent wrote:New Hotness: Romney - Ryan 2012, baby.
Romneymania?
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

God...

To expose the farce we ought to have elections for everyone's favorite Hollywood actor. The actor's could traverse the country getting people to like them, attack each other's character, and take positions on popular topics...

You folks really ought to get everyone you know to vote for Ron Paul. Ron Paul's position on constitutional government would set a precedent that would pull our political races out of the realm of America's got talent, and return a little honesty and dignity to this country. We don't need this ★■◆●.

EDIT: I listened to a speech given by Paul Ryan. IMO it was little more than a bunch of political-speak to get a bunch of conservatives who didn't know better riled up. Speaking specifically on the subject of "equality of opportunity". Un****ing the economy in this country is a a pretty tall order anymore--anyone taking the subject seriously wouldn't be boasting about it like someone who had already accomplished it. That's what tells me he's full of ★■◆●. Vying for a ****ing ideologically-based coronation, not asking to do a job.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:I gave you all the reasoning behind Ryan. Romney is facing disaster, by all current accounting(including Fox's polling which has him down by nearly 10 percent). He has utterly no choice but to bring the base out in droves and hope that the rest of the nation accepts an Obama gimme and has mediocre turnout. It might work, by the way.......
Not sure where you are getting your info but latest Rasmussen Poll shows:

"Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Sunday shows Mitt Romney attracting support from 46% of voters nationwide, while President Obama earns the vote from 44%."

Or lets use fund raisers as a form of poll:

"At Obama fundraiser in Chicago. Admission only $51, but room is half full. "

"Campaign officials for Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney tell The Daily Caller that well over 10,000 people attended a campaign rally at High Point’s Absolute Style Furniture showroom Sunday. The campaign estimates that 1,200 people were inside the venue while another 10,000 were outside."

So lets give it a week or so and see how polls are going
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:keep drinking the kool-aid Dissent. Oh, an Biden will mop the floor with Ryan, especially in the eyes of working men and women.
I seem to remember Biden have a problem dealing with Palin so I think you are wishfully thinking Biden will do any better with Ryan.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

CobGobbler wrote:Not a bad pick, was surprised to see it.

I'll give Romney this, at least he picked someone worth it this time. I would have pulled my eyes out if he picked some ever-pregnant skank like Sarah Palin. Now woodchip will have to jerk off to Ryan...
I'll save my load for you.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Woody, even Fox doesn't buy into Rasmussen's numbers.....they are ALWAYS off by about 5-7%
George Orwell---"1984"
CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

Ummm...Biden didn't have any trouble with Palin in their debate. It was the fact that Palin didn't fall flat on her face that impressed everyone. But by all normal, intelligent measures she was completely dusted by Joey the Shark.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Ummm...Biden didn't have any trouble with Palin in their debate. It was the fact that Palin didn't fall flat on her face that impressed everyone. But by all normal, intelligent measures she was completely dusted by Joey the Shark.
Yeah but this ★■◆● is wholly dishonest too. Had she been in a room full of friends she would have appeared differently. I like the things that Palin stands for, hell, how could anybody in this country not? Her problem was being too much like herself and being projected in a skewed way. Not that I ever saw her as a viable candidate anyways, all things considered.
CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

We are talking about Palin's VP debate performance, not her brand.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ryan is a hypocrite who liked Social Security when he needed it, but NOT when others will need it in the future. He was on the government dole as a teenager. He received SS benefits when his father died, which he then saved to pay for college. BUT, it turns out, he and his family were double dipping. His grandmother had Alzheimer's at that time as well. Dollars to donuts she was also receiving SS benefits, which were getting deposited into the family bank account. Ah huh. Gotta get rid of that "entitlement" bankrupting the government, even though HE got where his is because of it.

Now he's the cheerleader for "fixing" Medicare with a voucher system. Oh, he claims he's not getting rid of Medicare, he's just for giving everyone a "choice" with a private voucher system while those that are older now can keep their Medicare. Ah huh. Kissing senior butts to get elected, but because young people don't vote, screw 'em, they won't know until it's too late. A slow, progressive death by a thousand cuts. Those who are young will eventually have only an option that they will probably NOT be able to afford when they get older.

All this sounds a little like Reagan's wonderful idea of eliminating those stodgy pensions and bringing everyone into the Stock Market with the 401K. Oooooh, wonderful idea, your nest egg will grow much, much more. Now, it's looking more like a pipe dream.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ti ... 45894.html

Now as I sit listening to Ryan blathering his scripted Republican talking points, extolling what he envisions as the tax loopholes he wants to close, the biggest tax loophole on the books suddenly came to mind, that juicy, but shrinking 401K. He didn't mention it by name, but the coded language was apparent. Will Romney/Ryan kill that last, little vestige most middle class people have to retire on, while a pig like Romney basks comfortably in ill-gotten income from his untaxed offshore accounts?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I'm voting for the man with the least to lose.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

CobGobbler wrote:
dissent wrote:This might qualify as the funniest thing I've ever read. Mitt Romney has the new hotness...my god I'll be laughing at that for days.
Whatchyu sayin' bro'. You got somethin' against change. I thought change was what made the liberals all knee-wobbly and leg-tingly.
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I'm for sound principals and letting things recover naturally.
CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

Republicans have never been for change dude. Why would they want to do that? The GOP is dominated by the alpha demographic, white men, what on earth would they actually want to change? The status quo is working just fine for them (us).
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

The racial issue has been so abused I think everyone immediately dismisses it. I think the main consideration is where you live. Here, they won't look you in the eye.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:Woody, even Fox doesn't buy into Rasmussen's numbers.....they are ALWAYS off by about 5-7%
Then how about Gallup?:

ELECTION 2012 TRACKING

Aug 5-11, 2012 – Updates daily at 1 p.m. ET; reflects one-day change

Obama
46%
-
Romney
46%

Or is Gallup flawed also
-
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

The democrats are scared. I hope with good reason.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

flip wrote:The racial issue has been so abused I think everyone immediately dismisses it. I think the main consideration is where you live. Here, they won't look you in the eye.
Cob wasn't strictly addressing race, he was addressing the traditional power base in the US. And, who is 'they'?
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

let's stop the cherry picking, here's the large picture.....and don't dare look at the electoral map, GOP fanbois.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -1171.html
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

ThunderBunny wrote:The democrats are scared. I hope with good reason.
Most I've seen are licking their chops at the Ryan pick.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

80% or more of all 35-80 years old African Americans.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

hmmm, flip, not true for me, in VA
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Top Gun wrote:
ThunderBunny wrote:The democrats are scared. I hope with good reason.
Most I've seen are licking their chops at the Ryan pick.
....and with good reason, TG. If one looks at the RealClear electoral map, and knows that an inordinate amount of the populace has already decided their choice, one is left with an obvious fact: Romney absolutely HAS to win Florida. Ryan doesn't play well in a state where retirees essentially can swing the outcome. Likewise for Nevada, with far fewer electoral votes. As I said earlier, the entire Ryan gamble is around firing up every last conservative and hoping that overwhelms the turnout from the sensible members of the population.
George Orwell---"1984"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

hmmm, flip, not true for me, in VA
I believe that. I've been to several different cities where everyone just acted normal but it's too divisive here. This place will never do anything but tear itself apart.