Migrating Outlook express to Outlook on a new computer

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Migrating Outlook express to Outlook on a new computer

Post by thewolfe »

A friend bought a new HP running Windows 8 and I was helping him migrate his stuff over and started with Outlook express. He uses Verizon has his e-mail provider through Outlook express. I tried and tried to set up the pop set up without success and finally called Verizon.

They told me that Windows 8 does not accept the POP protocol. There is a workaround but didn't want to mess with it. He ended up buying a Dell with Windows 7 and a Easy transfer cable from Belkin. Dell helped him migrate Outlook express to Outlook on the new computer.

Does anyone know how the Belkin cable works? I was surprised that all the folders created in Outlook express to store your e-mails were transferred.

Would think about getting the easy transfer cable for future migrations. What say you?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re: Migrating Outlook express to Outlook on a new computer

Post by fliptw »

its a simple usb cable.

you paid too much.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I don’t believe there is much special in the transfer cable, you can also use Ethernet to use Easy Transfer. It’s the software that does the trick…not the cable.

If the computers are connected by a LAN you are good to go, if you want to connect the PC’s together directly, you will need a “crossover” cable and set up networking first, or choose the USB cable.

I do believe Easy Transfer only works on Windows XP and up, and does not transfer everything you might expect. There are also other stand alone products that do the same thing.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

You could also download Windows Live Mail, which is similar to Outlook Express.