Constant crashing in D3

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

roncli
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Constant crashing in D3

Post by roncli »

On the off chance someone might now how to fix this crash:

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
MAIN.EXE 0056f44c()
KERNEL32.DLL 77058543()
ntdll.dll 77b1ac69()
ntdll.dll 77b1ac3c()
------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to happen whenever something custom is being run, like the ES Pro mod, the weapons in Subway Dancer, and servers that announce things differently, like "X gets butchered by Y" or whatnot. Happens regardless of which main.exe I use, with the 1.4 NoCD patch from descent3.com, and with the Alexi 32-bit fix from the dateiliste package. Haven't tried 1.5 yet, but have tried a variety of different graphical settings to no avail.

Works fine in normal levels on normal servers otherwise.

Win 8 64-bit, Pentium Q9300 (I know, that's old), 4 GB RAM, ATI 5870 HD, Sound Blaster X-Fi card. Playing in OpenGL at -width 1280 -height 800 -aspect 1.6, but also happened at 1920x1200 as well.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: Constant crashing in D3

Post by BUBBALOU »

Most likely you are running it in a protected directory

What is the path to descent 3's root directory

Should not be in any flavor of %program files%

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
roncli
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by roncli »

Nope, it's f:/descent3, which is my SSD. It *was* in h:/descent3 prior, an external drive, I just moved it last night. Haven't ran anything that's been giving me problems, though.

Another weird thing is I can't add taunts or my ship picture. It lets me do it, but when I exit the config and go back in, my changes are gone. Only change that takes is my ship type.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Registry entries?

I'll pull mine and post a generic

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
roncli
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by roncli »

Got taunts working. Turns out I was using too many characters for the taunts, cutting them down to size fixed it.

The ship picture was always working, I just didn't have the taunts to know it. Must be a bug when you go in and try to re-select the ship picture again, it resets, but it remembers what you selected once you select it.

I completely uninstalled and reinstalled onto my SSD using the dateiliste package. Still get occasional crashes. Happens several times a level in the ES Pro levels, a couple times in Subway Dancer, and sporadically elsewhere (I actually got one in BI3 & Skybox).

I'm getting a new computer in about 3 weeks (my wife's died, so that means upgrades for us both! ^_^), so I'll hold out and see what happens on that one.
roncli
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by roncli »

I haven't crashed in a long while. I also haven't used Vortex to launch a game in a long while either, I've been using a straight command line.