D3 install on XP machine - ship rotating - joystick issue?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Viper1d
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

D3 install on XP machine - ship rotating - joystick issue?

Post by Viper1d »

I was interested in putting together several plus machines together to create a LAN to play D3 with some family members. I started by pulling out old P4 2.8 computer and installed XP and SP3. Installed the usual drivers. Installed D3 demos 1 & 2 and the D3 from GOG. Tried Demo 1 first, then 2, then the full game (GOG version).

I tried a MS Precision Pro (ends in 57540) in the gameport of the audio card but the JS was not recognised. So I added MS Sidewinder USB adapter (p/n 98427) and plugged it into a USB port. I was able to map the JS correctly - except the banking (z-axis) function is not working. When I get into a game, the ship rotates counterclockwise (my view rotates clockwise). I get no response using the the twist action of the JS. Again, all the other controls are working (pitch, heading, button assignments). The 'Banking' option is set to 'ZAXIS'. I tried several different USB ports - same results. I verified joystick in the Control Panel - Game Controllers and it seems to be working correctly. This is the same machine i played a lot of D3 back in 2009 & 2010 (using Dateiliste download) - same hardware including JS. P.S. I tried a second JS (same model) and it does the same thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions to correct the control of my JS / game (stop rotating, enable banking)?

Motherboard: Asus P4P800-SE
CPU: Pentium 4 2.8 mhz
Video: MSI 5900XT Used NVidia Forceware 71.81 drivers
Audio: Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply: Seasonic 380W
Windows XP (SP3)
IE 8.0
Used both 19 inch 4:3 LCD monitor and 20 inch widescreen (1600 x 900) monitor.
I am in the process of downloading D3 from DATEILISTE but not quite there yet.

I don't remember ever having any issues with installing or running D3 in the past.

Thanks Much !

Viper1, Viper1d, Bpos, Bpos2
Viper1
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: D3 install on XP machine - ship rotating - joystick issu

Post by Top Gun »

Just to double-check, is the throttle wheel/slider on your stick centered when you're trying to assign the controls? I can't remember which letter designation that's usually given, but I've had times in the past where the throttle will automatically override whatever axis I'm trying to set, because it's off-center and therefore being detected as active.
Viper1d
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Viper1d »

Thanks for the quick response. I will check it out. Thanks.
Viper1
Viper1d
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Viper1d »

Top Gun, that is exactly what the problem was. The throttle slider was not centered and was overriding the banking assignment. Once centered, I was able to designate the banking action - which by the way is the R-Axis not the Z-Axis. I got into Core and played around some - what a game! I am looking forward to getting some more machines up and getting a LAN going for family and friends.

Thanks again for the help - I lost part of day trying to figure that problem out.
Viper1