How to Win, when you don't.....

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

from the Nation:
http://www.thenation.com/blog/172191/rn ... s-can-win#

I suspect this will fizzle out, as have prior attempts, but when do these morons figure out that the key to winning, long-term, is actually providing appealing platforms and candidates? Because, given electoral cycles, this sort of proposed change could end up being the final nail in the GOP coffin, as demographics change over the next decade.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: How to Win, when you don't.....

Post by woodchip »

My my, does someone have a hard on for the GOP? :wink:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

not really. Just opposed to trying to game the system. Sizzling-good comeback though. :roll:
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Curious, it seems someone keeps thinking the GOP is close to dying. Why is that?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

TechPro wrote:Curious, it seems someone keeps thinking the GOP is close to dying. Why is that?
if you're referring to me, I am not sure that the GOP is actually close to dying, so much as self-destructing and rendering itself obsolete. Why? I'd base that upon changing demographics, infighting, inability to produce even basic legislation(see Sandy relief), and similar missteps. Of course, if you read all the references to the subject, you'd see that I view this as potentially a very bad thing, creating a window wherein one party dominates to a excessive degree. We currently have entered that state here in Delaware, with virtually no Republican in statewide office, since a Tea Party assault on a moderate Republican candidate in 2010.
Overall, I suspect no 'death' per se, but actually hope for a return to the far more inclusive Republican party that focused on responsible governance and less international adventurism. How long it will take that to evolve is anyone's guess.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote: Why? I'd base that upon changing demographics, infighting, inability to produce even basic legislation(see Sandy relief), and similar missteps.
50 billion relief bill has passed the house. Do try and keep up.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:
callmeslick wrote: Why? I'd base that upon changing demographics, infighting, inability to produce even basic legislation(see Sandy relief), and similar missteps.
50 billion relief bill has passed the house. Do try and keep up.
...and 180 of the 230 Republicans voted against it. I do keep up.
edit: you keep running afoul of the fact that I do, indeed, keep up. It's like the gift that keeps on giving!
Further, those numbers I just put up might well be the wave of the next two years, and here is my thinking:
Boehner is going to be forced by those 50 or so moderate Repubs to bring things to the floor, or else, they might be threatening to caucus with the Dems, thereby losing his job. The guy is in a tough spot, though, because by doing so, he risks the ire of his right flank. They likely won't revolt and call
for a new speaker, once again due to the threat of the moderates voting for Pelosi.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Then don't say it wasn't passed. Many of those nay voting republicans were looking for a cut somewhere else to off set the cost. Of course if you believe money grows on trees and a 16 trillion dollar debt has no meaning then blindly voting yes on the bill is your cup of tea. Oh and we're facing another downgrade:

"Fitch Ratings was perfectly clear about this on Tuesday, as quoted by CNN: “”In the absence of an agreed and credible medium-term deficit reduction plan that would be consistent with sustaining the economic recovery and restoring confidence in the long-run sustainability of U.S. public finances, the current negative outlook on the ‘AAA’ rating is likely to be resolved with a downgrade later this year even if another debt ceiling crisis is averted.”"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:Then don't say it wasn't passed.
but, did I? No, I said they 'failed to produce legislation', which, indeed was an issue with the GOP caucus for a couple months.
Many of those nay voting republicans were looking for a cut somewhere else to off set the cost. Of course if you believe money grows on trees and a 16 trillion dollar debt has no meaning then blindly voting yes on the bill is your cup of tea. Oh and we're facing another downgrade:
since when do we handle emergency relief in such a fashion? Do you think, for a moment, that voters from Maine to Virginia aren't going to remember? Likewise, do you not think this gives an issue to the Dems in states like VA, NC, SC and Florida, along with Gulf Coast states? And yes, it would be nice if we got the revenue adjusted fully, and lessened our defense spending so that we can afford to handle long term debt issues. I note, by the way, Gov. Brewer of Arizona now finds that the Healthcare bill will be a boon to the economy in Arizona. Imagine that, and further imagine how sensible immigration reform could grow the revenue of the US. Fitch's warning is warranted, but there are readily available ways to address their concerns. Now, let's see it get done. Instead, I seem to be hearing about folks on the right wanting to default on borrowing already long committed to. That should help the old credit rating, right?
George Orwell---"1984"
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

callmeslick wrote:...., inability to produce even basic legislation(see Sandy relief), and similar missteps. ...
I don't think the Sandy Relief bill was held up for the lack of Repub ability to "produce basic legislation" unless you are suggesting an emergency relief legislation should by design have two or three times as much wasteful spending hidden in it as it has actual relief!

As for the original post, divide electoral votes among districts. I don't like the result of rigging districts so I'd say no but I do think electoral votes for each state should be divided relative to the popular vote within the state. It would make candidates concern themselves with a much broader constituency. The recent win by Obama was a good example of how they can keep the base on the plantation and then only need to worry about a few key states....toss the auto workers a bone here....make up for the coal miners anger there with some other faction within the state and you still get the whole state...etc
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Understanding how Democrats operate, and how much slick seems to be helping and enjoying it, I would have to say if you are going to use the term “self destruct” you need to change it to “assisted suicide”. :wink:
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

woodchip wrote:My my, does someone have a hard on for the GOP? :wink:
it's called GOP-hater, just look at the threads that have been started lately.

GOP continues the march to self-destruction
when you're in a hole, best to stop digging

all of them are criticizing the GOP. but you cant say that about Obama or you get called a hater :P :P :P
hy·poc·ri·sy
/hiˈpäkrisē/
Noun
the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behaviour, esp the pretence of virtue and piety
double standard

— n
a set of principles that allows greater freedom to one person or group than to another
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

nice try, CUDA, but it doesn't wash. I am not a hater of the GOP as a whole, but I do dislike current trends within the party, that are leading it to disaster.
Completely different. If I was a GOP hater, I would be a lot less welcome at certain social events in the deep south, and probably wouldn't be either welcome in the offices of, or on the mailing lists of, Reps Gerlach or Pitts, to name two.
George Orwell---"1984"
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

callmeslick wrote:nice try, CUDA, but it doesn't wash. I am not a hater of the GOP as a whole, but I do dislike current trends within the party, that are leading it to disaster.
Lol, why does that remind me of defensive white people when they say "I don't hate black people! I have three black friends!!

callmeslick wrote:Completely different. If I was a GOP hater, I would be a lot less welcome at certain social events in the deep south, and probably wouldn't be either welcome in the offices of, or on the mailing lists of, Reps Gerlach or Pitts, to name two.
I've been on the mailing list of lots of Democrat pols. All you do is drop them a letter telling them you like what they are doing and will be contributing to their future campaign and you get enough letters to pack a safe back stop for .22 pistol targets free! I'm a deadeye with my Ruger .22 thanks to the DNC!!
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Will Robinson wrote:
callmeslick wrote:nice try, CUDA, but it doesn't wash. I am not a hater of the GOP as a whole, but I do dislike current trends within the party, that are leading it to disaster.
Lol, why does that remind me of defensive white people when they say "I don't hate black people! I have three black friends!!
I don't know. Why should it?

callmeslick wrote:Completely different. If I was a GOP hater, I would be a lot less welcome at certain social events in the deep south, and probably wouldn't be either welcome in the offices of, or on the mailing lists of, Reps Gerlach or Pitts, to name two.
I've been on the mailing list of lots of Democrat pols. All you do is drop them a letter telling them you like what they are doing and will be contributing to their future campaign and you get enough letters to pack a safe back stop for .22 pistol targets free! I'm a deadeye with my Ruger .22 thanks to the DNC!!
but, when you run into them at their office, do they greet you by name? Do they invite you down to Super Bowl parties and Derby parties and to their yacht club get togethers? Geez, try to stick to what I said, and stop cherry picking small fractions for your silly little retorts. Or, just keep on reassuring yourself about your manhood with your Ruger and fap away!!
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Completely different. If I was a GOP hater, I would be a lot less welcome at certain social events in the deep south, and probably wouldn't be either welcome in the offices of, or on the mailing lists of, Reps Gerlach or Pitts, to name two.
kind of the way I feel about Obama, I dont like the current trends of his administration

but that doesnt stop you from calling those people a hater.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

callmeslick wrote:...
but, when you run into them at their office, do they greet you by name? Do they invite you down to Super Bowl parties and Derby parties and to their yacht club get togethers? ...
Of course not. They only do that for the sycophantic, authoritarian jock sniffing elite wannabe's! I just want the free paper.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

I'll settle for the access. Keep on shooting! :lol:
George Orwell---"1984"