Apps for analyzing networks for IPads?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Apps for analyzing networks for IPads?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Just recently got an IPad and I was wondering if there is a decent app that is like inSSider or Netstumbler, where you can view info about AP's? For example, signal strength, channel device name, device model and make, possibly location?

Also are there any packet sniffers out there for IPads?
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Apps for analyzing networks for IPads?

Post by TechPro »

Nope. There used to be for the iPhone or iPod Touch ... But Apple specifically denied further apps at one point, and as the newer firmware versions rolled out ... The old apps no longer worked and Apple specifically wouldn't let them put new versions in the App Store.

Supposedly, Apple did it to prevent/deter using the tiny mobile devices for hacking activities (regardless if you were going to actually use the apps for hacking).

[insert your favorite "I hate Apple's policies” rant here]

[/end your rant]

Disappointing, but they were getting a lot of legal flack behind the scenes about the potential of using the mobile platform for hacking, thus you can understand the reasons for their choice.

Apple was first to really make the mobile devices truly useful ... perhaps that's why they got hit with the paranoia.

Too bad it no longer makes any difference thanks to similar tools on the "other brands" that came to market later on, after all the paranoia.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

For whatever it's worth, Ubuntu multi-touch tablets should start being sold in the near future, which means to me that you can put whatever Linux distro you want on a tablet. however, Ubuntu 12.10+ should be fine since it's designed for a touch screen. And there are more network tools in the standard repos than you'll ever use.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Net Master by NuTec works well for networks on the ipad, unfortunately there is not packet sniffing

Port scan
LAN scan (bonjour, net bios, etc)
Subnet calculator
Wake on LAN
Ping
Trace

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.