it's the end of the world as we know it!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

and i don't feel fine :(

i was hangin out in #halo.invite where someone posted a link and advised everyone to read it with an open mind. so i did, mostly out of boredom and the fact that he was a respected member of the community. so i'm reading, and at first i am very skeptical. it just seems like another one of those whack jobs and their crazy theories. unfortunately though i couldn't help but feel funny in the pit of my stomach.

here is the article. it's a long read, but i encourage everyone to read all the way through it and be open minded until completion. i realize this world is full of disturbed whackos who pull this kind of thing all of the time, and i'm one of the last guys who would get freaked out over something like this, but for some reason i don't feel right. i feel like i've known this was going to happen soon all along, but in a subconscious kind of way.

maybe i'm just rattled from the stress ive been under, but i can't seem to just chalk this one up to a crazy old man. it just seems like something like this is bound to happen in the grand scheme of things, who's to say that time isn't now?

regardless if its true or not, i'm gonna be spending some more time with my siblings. but what do you guys think? you think its just hype for the new movie the day after tommorrow? that would be some seriously sadistic ★■◆● if it was. i don't think they would stoop that low. alot of people are freaked out over this. not a good way to win people over.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

My open mind closed when I read the url :P

I was thinking just the other day that it's been pretty nice at the DBB lately. No real doom and gloom stories penetrating the Cafe and most of the bad stuff is just terrorist crap and stuff regarding the war on terror.

Should have kept my mind shut on that thought as well :P
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Well, it's ALWAYS a good idea to spend more time with family. But relax dude - you're still gonna be around in "6-8 weeks". Here's just a few reasons why:

1) "The objects are coming at us from south of the ecliptic". Sorry, we don't have any visible light, or radio telescopes which can point "south of the ecliptic" - therefore it's impossible to know if anything is coming from there.

2) "Two objects we know a lot about, the third is an anomaly". Sorry, if you know a lot about the first 2, you'll know the same amount about #3 as well.

3) Objects coming from the Oort Cloud or the Kuiper belt approach on the ecliptic (or very close to it), not from the south of it.

4) Enough debris to block out the sun? PUH-LEASE! Does this guy have any idea what he's saying? If there's that much debris, the Earth is gonna be smashed until the surface is completely molten again.

5) Our ability to detect inbound rocks is limited indeed. If objects come at us from our vicinty - i.e. an NEO, then we will most likely have between 5 and 5000 years advance warning. Anything coming at us from Jovian space is harder to detect, and we'd be very lucky to detect it more than 3-4 weeks before it crossed the orbit of the Earth. See number 1.

Comets tend to spew a lot of gasses and are therefore highly visible, and are easier to detect than asteroids or other non-volatile impactors.

6) Orbital mechanics is (relatively!) straightforward math. If you can observe something then you can, within a VERY short period of time establish FOR SURE if it is going to miss earth or not. Observing for a period of weeks, something which will impact within "6-8 weeks" will yield incredibly accurate results. i.e. it'll hit us - or not, and we could be confident in that math.

If the stuff is indeed a "cloud", then we simply won't survive. Nothing will. Earth would be obliterated, because interstallar debris will be travelling at velocites in excess of 250,000 kmh. (Normal solar system debris will vary between 40,000 and around 70,000 kmh).

There are no "clouds" of stellar debris left. Jupiter and Saturn took care of those 3.5 billion years ago.

==

There are numerous other stupid assertions made by this guy. If he believes what he says, then he's a crackpot. If he doesn't - then he's just your plain ordinary, garden-variety scumbag.

Believe me - you can't stop astronomers looking into space by starting a few wars. Nor can you shoot down asteroids travelling at Mach 100+ with missiles designed to shoot down other missiles going about mach 4.

Also, the astronomical community is very tight knit. It is IMPOSSIBLE for an object to be discovered and for that object not to be known by just about every astronomer on earth with 48 hours.

The VERY FIRST thing astronomers do when they think they have found an object is to use the INTERNET (Yeah, that thing based on ARPANET, set up for astronomers!) to distribute their findings so that any and every astronomer with a telescope can point it that direction to find out more about it.

Now. Go and have that restful sleep you deserve. :)

Oh, and any page which links to "The Enterprise Mission", except to say how freaking stupid that guy is, isn't worth the electrons thet're used to store it!
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

what i thought was basically on par with what you thought mobi, but i still beg the question - will we believe someone who says something like this will happen when it really will? are we as a society totally unprepared for something of this scale?

it just made me realize exactly how much i didn't know. who knows what's out there in space, or in someone whacko's basement.

i can't help but feel helpless.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

someone i game with in halo wrote this on the topic, and i thought it was interesting.
Alright, I started reading as soon as this was posted and read every word, did every bit of research that was asked by the poster and visited every site that the article linked to. Plus, after doing a lot of unasked research by the poster, I would, quite honestly, believe this to be 100% accurate (and alos show that those of you who have posted before didn't read it all). The only thing I have a hard time believing is the time it will occur (Mid-End of June this year).

Just seems we'd be hearing something about this. But what is crazy is this:

Rob McNaught and Gordon Garradd are using a refurbished 1950s telescope which is the only NASA-sponsored probe to have a clear view of the southern sky. (Ref. http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/co ... 98,00.html .)

Only one? That is the direction it is supposed to be pointed to view this disaster. Along with the other one mentioned in the article, Stromlo Observatory, which was burned down (supposedly, "Let Burn"):
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1115561.htm
http://physics.about.com/library/weekly/aa012503a.htm

The depiction of Revelations and the reference to "Wormwood" really gets my attention as well.

What scares me the most is not the story. Any one can fabricate such a story (we have Hollywood for example). But it's the facts. The undeniable, backed up proof that is in news articles around the world. THAT is what scares me. If you go and read EVERYTHING that article has, "use your brain," and research some yourself, you will be at the point where I am.

What do do? Hah! Hell.... hope he's wrong and delusional and this turns out to be one of the greatest, most-successful, and well-thought out pranks in history. Otherwise, I think it's time we all bend over, stick our heads between our legs, and start kissing.

By the way, not sure if you guys will do this on your own, but while searching, I found a lot references to the new movie Friday, "The Day After Tomorrow." A lot of it dealing with NASA officials being told not to "comment" on the movie and it's validity. However, some articles also continue to say that NASA officials told reporters that can comment on the movie if they want, but only in relation to the actual scientific information pertaining to the actual disasters in the movie. What's surprising is that there are no articles containing NASA's "scientific information" except for this:

"Several days ago, NASA scientists produced a list of questions and answers about abrupt climate change, but the information has not yet been approved for public release."

The memo was also released on April 1; however, no comments on it's release date, to that of being a "joke," were found. Releasing such a memo with such requests to be passed as a "joke" could certainly backfire on the validity of U.S. official documents.

Also purtaining to the movie, the Pentagon released a memo which was leaked purtaining to "natural disasters" occuring on earth closely related to that in the movie, which was released sometime early this year (couldn't find a date), which says to be happening "soon."

Both of the above were found here: http://www.enterprisemission.com/_artic ... tary_1.htm

But extensive searches (Go Google), lead these articles to be fact:
http://farshores.proboards6.com/index.c ... 1078712780
http://www.techimo.com/newsapp/index.pl?photo=10813
http://www.stopesso.com/coverage/00000069.php

Thank you Agent Lead for the article. The administrator says if the guy posts again that he will update the page. I'm sure the guy will post very soon according to the dates he has given. I'll continue to do more research on the topic, and which I hope everybody will READ the ENTIRE article and help me as well.

I'll keep you guys updated.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I haven't finished the article yet, but I believe that this individual is trying to operate on people's mistrust of the government. If there were really something like that coming, I don't believe that anyone would remain quiet about it, despite the premise of various asteroid holocaust movies. Why wouldn't they want to prepare America? If only to say, "build a bomb shelter". Also, if he had read a little more in the book of Revelation (myself, and my brothers and sisters have gone over it a couple of times with my dad) there are events leading up to that "day" which I don't believe have happened yet, and therefore this man's time-frame is too short. There have been a lot of doomsday scenarios that people have come up with, wherein they try to use biblical explainations, but the question you have to ask yourself is, does it really fit? If you consider this man's biblical explainations, read the Bible for yourself to see if what he's saying is true. Try starting at John. ;):) Oh, and definately spend more time with your siblings. :D

P.S. - That also doesn't leave enough time for Osama Bin Ladin to kill us all. ;) ;)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Ignoring all of the deeper implications, his frequent use of capital letters and strings of exclamation points makes his information suspect. I haven't gotten all the way through it, but from the form and manner of his text, he sounds like just another crackpot nutjob :P. Plus, as Mobius mentioned, astronomers form a very tight-knit global community. If someone had seen something, we all would know it now, and we could all stick our heads between our legs and kiss our bums goodbye :P.

P.S. It still feels weird to agree with Mobius :P.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Yeh, the way he capitalzes words is really annoying. I personally don't think it is tru but I think it is very interesting... I'm kind of 40%....
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I just read a bit more. The author claims that the Earth's orbit is becoming erratic, that the Moon is not orbiting as it should, that the outer planets are being affected, that the sky is becoming dusty and darkened, and that some type of "cloud" is headed toward the planet. Now, tell me, does this sound so true anymore? :P

Edit: I finally read the whole thing. The guy's a bigger crackpot and conspiracy freak than I thought! I'll admit that he comes across as compelling, if not a little psycho, but a little shock reaction is not reason to believe the world is about to end. Go back, read it carefully, and think about what he's claiming. So he, and other people, have known about this "thing" for twenty years, and no one has leaked anything? Give me a break... :roll:

Edit 2: A crystallized white dwarf is an anomaly headed right for Earth?? Better get your helmets :P.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Scam, don't hold your breath. (Don't know why tho) Nice trick to bounce the ball back and forth to "confirm" "evidence" and "prove" the conspiracy. If that would be real it would be all over the media because the science community is to big (and full of ego) to keep this scenario secret. Certainly NASA wouldn't pass on the opportunity to ask for more money. Even if it's real, so what ? I can't do squat about it. :P
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Mobius wrote:Oh, and any page which links to "The Enterprise Mission", except to say how freaking stupid that guy is, isn't worth the electrons thet're used to store it!
'nuff said
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

If this is true (And thats a big IF), I hope an asteroid hits my colleges NetNazi right on the head. aheahahea.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

damit that would be so awesome if this where true...
3vil l33t
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by 3vil l33t »

*blinks* Wow, that was... stupid. What's his deal about being found? If he's right, silencing him won't do much good; we're all doomed anyway, no matter what we do. If he's wrong, finding him eliminates one more crackpot from the general public. Personally, I'm leaning towards the latter.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

He's an idiot
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Its a conspiracy! The big rocks in the sky are gonna kill us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111oneoneoneone
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Oh yes....one little interesting fact I forgot to mention here. 25 years ago I was at an astronomerâ??s convention in Canberra and we were discussing the possible effects of the debris cloud of the crab nebula passing through our solar system in 2000 to 2005.
What a blatant liar.

Debris coming from the crab nebula? Does anyone know how far away that nebula is?

5600 light years.

ok! the light from the explosion, not the nebula, finally got to Earth in 1000AD. So it took 5600 years..just for the light to get here. Hmm...do I even need mention that the 'debris' isn't going anywhere near light speed? And what 'debris' does a star release in a supernova? Gases and molecules.

the leonids are more of a threat than the Crab Nebula...'debris'
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Look like a great marketing campaign for the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" to me.

In any event, it will be interesting to see if the dude is right. The second impact is due on the same day as I close on my new house. Maybe I get to kill a lawyer afterall :lol:
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Coincidentally, today NASA's website has an article on searching for near-Earth objects. Spoooky...:P
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

beside, I thought the world ended in the year 2000 anyways from all the computers crashing
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I guess I'll have to put off that video card purchase.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/

i found that last night before i went to bed. it says the asteroid is very real, but that it will not hit us and it is not as close as this guy says.
A small near-Earth asteroid (NEA), discovered Monday night by the NASA-funded LINEAR asteroid survey, will make the closest approach to Earth ever recorded. There is no danger of a collision with the Earth during this encounter.
is this a real nasa site?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

near misses happen every year. and they are VERY close. and many Very large. the funny thing is, that we don't normally see them or notice that they are there until they have already passed.

Don't stress it. There's nothing we can do. There is a very good chance anything from outter space will land in the Ocean. Look at all those moon shots we did. Every one of the returning capsules landed in the Pacific. There's good evidence that any spce rock will do the same. :mrgreen:

Incidentally, any rock of size that hits the ocean is gunna kick up one heck of a wave. (which won't be seen till it nearly makes landfall. Sounds like it's time for a BBQ! :)
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

Top Gun wrote: Edit 2: A crystallized white dwarf is an anomaly headed right for Earth?? Better get your helmets :P.
I didn't bother to read the link, so I don't know if that was really IN there, but if it was, this guy clearly has no clue what he's talking about. How do you move a white dwarf? How does it hurtle towards Earth? It's one of the densest stars known to man! Can you imagine how much energy it would take to make one of those move?

And if the Earth's orbit really HAD shifted, the effects would be quite spectacular. :P
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

IIRC White Dwarf is one stage above Black Hole.

You can feel the effects of a Black Hole light-years away.

A White Dwarf hurtling right at us would be EASILY DETECTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/mimicing writing style of idiot]
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Actually, a neutron star is one step above a black hole in density. I believe this also includes quasars and pulsars. I think that white dwarfs are formed from smaller stars that don't go supernova, but I may be mistaken. The links to the articles about this particular white dwarf are interesting: it's essentially the universe's largest diamond, made up of crystallized carbon. Imagine having that on your finger, ladies :P.

Kurupt, that is a real NASA site. I remember reading about that particular mission, which will return a sample from a near-Earth asteroid to Earth for study. But, as you said, the asteroid will come nowhere near a collision.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

that link is usually reserved for the weekend.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Sage wrote:beside, I thought the world ended in the year 2000 anyways from all the computers crashing
It did. Where were you? :lol:
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

for the biblical part, as I understand it "day" as it's used throughout creation myth (ie seventh day he rested) is a literal transaltion and not really very accurate. If the christians are right and I'm going to hell after all (or the jews are right and the christians are coming with me) then the current "day" has to end before the leadup to the apocalypse starts, which as I understand it has identifiable conditions for doing so.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

phoenix, a "Day" is represenative of a "Time of completion". It's a type of metiphor.

And as a point of interest; the book of Revelation (at the end of the Bible) foretells of a Mountain falling from the sky into the oceans and its name is "Wormwood". Rev 8:8-11

It sounds like a very large asteroid. The fallout certainly is a bit disconcerting.

Edit: thanks Lothar.. duly noted. ;)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

just voicing my pet peeve...

Psalms is plural (but any individual chapter is a single Psalm) and Revelation is singular.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

this dust cloud is comming from the south right?
so, that means that mobi and I would be able to see the most amount of dust in the day sky.
but i look up, and don't really see anything different to a normal fine sunny QLD day, blue sky.

i can verify that that observatory thingy WAS burned down during the latest bush fires, it made me sad :(

korrupt your latest link http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/ is quite cool though. afaik that is indeed a nasa site (Near Earth Orbits, susiduary of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory).

Celestia doesn't show this 2004 FH object though, i'll look around for a plugin.
i'll defintely be watching for it though, coz:
Asteroid 2004 FH's point of closest approach with the Earth will be over the South Atlantic Ocean. Using a good pair of binoculars, the object will be bright enough to be seen during this close approach from areas of Europe, Asia and most of the Southern Hemisphere.
:)

i think this crackpot guy is a not a single marketing employee, but a marketing THINKTANK.
i actually enjoyed the read :), i don't normally get through much of these things. but i don't believe it, coz he rants like a textbook case.

my belief of it is about: %8-%16.
also i second the comments about "we're not there yet" regarding Revelation. the great wild beast is still currently going strong iirc. i don't hear any merchants of the earth saying "too bad too bad"s and i especially don't hear any "peace and security!!!! w00t!!!"s.
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

Aussie Bloke is back, and this time he gave his name, a Dr. Gartrell.

Here is the link to his latest rants.

http://www.bushcountry.org/news/jun_new ... e_2004.htm
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

He mentions a "fireball" landing in Grover's Mill, New Jersey. Isn't that the setting of Orson Wells's infamous "War of the Worlds" alien landing broadcast? Hmm...it seems as though the joker has shown his/her true colors :P.

Edit: Fleet deployments? Random Federal Reserve action? Oh, the horror! :P
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i'm close enough to have seen that, but i didn't. i often spend time outside with a clear view of the sky. nada. when was it exactly? too long for me to read all the way through it right now.
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

Top Gun wrote:He mentions a "fireball" landing in Grover's Mill, New Jersey. Isn't that the setting of Orson Wells's infamous "War of the Worlds" alien landing broadcast? Hmm...it seems as though the joker has shown his/her true colors :P.

Edit: Fleet deployments? Random Federal Reserve action? Oh, the horror! :P
Good call Top Gun, I didn't even notice that one. I haven't heard about the fleet deployments at all. My father is also very close in touch with the Hutchinson Space Center in Kansas, and they exchange a lot of information. He has heard absolutely nothing about it, and I think he would have gotten at least a little bit on something this bog. As I've mentioned once or twice in the past, my father has one of the largest unofficial archives of NASA information and intel in the nation. I can't even begin to imagine how much he has in his personal archives.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Notice, in that same bit, he identifies one eyewitness as a "housewife" and worries about people tying up telephone lines. Sounds like it could possibly be a quote from Wells's actual broadcast. Who would actually call someone a housewife today? Also, I like how the person who is posting these e-mails on the site believes them and sees them as a good opportunity for evangelization. Well, if a ranting lunatic helps people gain faith in God, then I guess the guy is doing at least one thing right :P.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Well, if all this terds is true, we'll know in a few days because on June 8 the sky is supposed to darken with farts from the great beyond.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

"Don't tell me...theres a big rock thats going to smack into the Earth and kill us all."
"Yup."
"Smoldering heat, and dust clouds big enough to blot out the sun for a long time?
"Probably."
"Bring it on!"
[/Emperor's New Groove]

:mrgreen:
rijruna
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by rijruna »

oh btw sage [& others] june 8th is the transit of Venus. something which has only been observed like 5 times in recorded history.
AND the war of the worlds [the book & not hollywoods version] is centered in ENGLAND.[& the musical version is kool too with richard burton narrating]
just for your edification.
[edit]the orsen wells radio play scared to bejebus outa ppl [because some tuned in too late to hear to warning stated at the start]with,iirc,one person dying from a heart-attack [edit done]
cheers
rij