This'll be epic

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

This'll be epic

Post by Tunnelcat »

They're going to attempt to roll the ship upright on Monday. It should be fun to watch. I hope they succeed getting it upright in one piece. Otherwise, it'll be one hell of a mess.

http://news.yahoo.com/costa-concordia-s ... 46321.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: This'll be epic

Post by Tunnelcat »

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Fascinating. :)
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Later on Craigslist

Boat for sale:
$392,203,320.03

Few miles on it. Runs good as new. Impresses girls on the shoreline. Only been laid down once.

P.S. comes with free food.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Time lapse video of the operation.

[youtube]wa82nfg6Byw[/youtube]

Lots of pictures showing the damage in the next link. So many pics that it will take a minute to fully download. By the way Issac, she's a little too dented and dirty even for Craigslist. And she's going to cost a heck of a lot more than you quoted if you want to take her home. :P

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... attle.html
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Now they've re-floated her and are going to tow her to the scrap yard. Now that's one expensive piece of scrap. :o

http://news.yahoo.com/shipwrecked-conco ... 33361.html
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

2.2 billion for this job. what a waste
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Even with my feeble brain I can understand that this is a great subject for divers around the world. Why spend the money to rebuild the corpse when you can earn good money for drowned? This is not f*cking new secret Russian submarine.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Best Necro-post ever!

Thanks for the update TC. I'm curious as to what the charges are for the crew members that went to prison. It said they pleaded guilty. I wonder if there was some "head hunting" going on there.

Merlin, I can only agree. The only problem is that can't just leave it there and I would imagine trying to scrap it there would be too treacherous.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Duper, I know they can't leave it there but damn, 2 billion could of been spent better elsewhere.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Duper wrote:Best Necro-post ever.
sigma wrote:Even with my feeble brain
Just for the sake of fairness, this phrase was not my idea :) I used a quote from a speech by Ivan the Terrible. Despite this, I think we understood each other :wink:
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

LOL Sigma! :lol:

I here ya Merlin. $2K on C4 would have been plenty. ;D
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Are there any explosives that would work underwater? Nuclear would of course, but I don't expect the neighbors would be very happy.

I am pretty sure the salvage bill will be higher than the ship cost to build in the first place though.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

It already is, the ship cost $612 million to build, the current salvage operation is already over $1 billion and they expect it to go over $2 billion before it is done. Supposedly it would have been cheaper and possibly safer to salvage it in place than what they are doing, I wasn't sure what the logic was for floating it off.

Also, the majority of high explosives still work underwater (many actually still work even in the vacuum of space), but the effects are a little different and a lot more dangerous.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

That isn't good news Krom. Makes one wonder.

C4 explosions are chemical reaction internally and isn't dependent on external oxygen. Same with TNT. So yeah.. what Krom said.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Duper wrote:LOL Sigma! :lol:

I here ya Merlin. $2K on C4 would have been plenty. ;D
One problem. That idiot captain ran the ship aground in a sensitive marine sanctuary. Blowing the thing up would have dumped a ton of debris, chemicals and toxins all over that nice, pristine coastline. Italy would have kissed goodbye all those nice fisheries and tourist beaches.