Servant Leadership

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Servant Leadership

Post by snoopy »

I put this in PTMC because I don't really think it merits deep discussion, but I found it entertaining & wanted to share:

I'm taking a organizational behavior class right now, and we're studying the topic of leadership. The text covers the idea of servant leadership... mentioning Robert Greenleaf who apparently coined the term in the 70's. The professor says that this is an emerging idea that's just come about in the last few years and is on the cutting edge of leadership theory/practices.

....Apparently the dude's never read the Bible if he thinks servant leadership is something novel...

It's funny to me how we humans constantly re-invent the wheel and act like it's something novel or new.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: Servant Leadership

Post by Isaac »

If I understand OP correctly, I remember a related story my teacher told us about the time he had authority over his superior officer, who had no experience on setting up a radio station. My teacher was in the Army a long time ago and was woken up in the middle of the night by this high ranking officer and was told that a radio station wasn't working. My teacher went with him and looked up a few things and told him that they were using the wrong antenna. My teacher told this officer he would need his help to set it up properly. The two of them went and, under my teacher's direction, got the equipment they needed, drove out to the station, and set it up properly.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

LOL! Nice Snoop. and don't forget the practice of apprenticeship. (I like your example better).
heh, you have it a bit reversed there Issac, though close...kinda.

Snoop is talking about leading by Being a servant. Tend to the needs of those being raised up or lead and also lifting them up in the process. It's a completely foreign idea in today's culture.
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

Just went through a 10 month Leadership Class at my home (Christian) Church here in Oklahoma City.

Had a lot of homework through the class... Graduated as the Valedictorian out of 17 in the class... Set the bar high for me so that even if I didn't achieve it that I would learn a whole lot more than to just barely get by.

We learned a lot in that timeframe and were given a lot of chances to practice being "Servant Leaders".

We worked with multiple opportunities to serve others in our city and in our home Church.

Learned a lot about myself and to better serve others in my life.

:D
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Is this a BDSM thing?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Leaders are born...not made ;)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Rather leadership is a part of a person's character, not something which can merely be taught.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Leadership is pure and simple. It says "come here" not "go there"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

woodchip wrote:Leaders are born...not made ;)
I would have to disagree with that statement. leadership can be taught :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

CUDA wrote:
woodchip wrote:Leaders are born...not made ;)
I would have to disagree with that statement. leadership can be taught :P
I think that anyone can do a serviceable job at leading. At the same time, I think that people either do or don't have the potential to be great leaders from day 1.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

The most stupid leader is a person who wants to be a leader because of the knowledge of textbooks. Nevertheless, I believe that a person who is not a leader in its psychological nature, but it has sufficient knowledge or experience professionally in a particular area, and he can take control of a group of people in extreme situations. The most nightmarish version of leader - a leader who read a lot of books on psychology, but he is not the leader in its nature, or it is not enough for his professional work. Perhaps the most glaring example - these are people who are now working in the U.S. State Department.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

He just couldn’t resist that jab….

Must be nice to have free speech.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Well, for a man whose brain is infected with religion, it is very difficult to explain simple things in terms of elementary logic :) It is just like a man narrowed pupils, if you send light into his eyes.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Oh, you meant to insult the religious people here as well as the state department…I should have known.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Spidey wrote:Oh, you meant to insult the religious people here as well as the state department…I should have known.
I never insulted the feelings of believers. On the contrary, I even said that anyone can join the religion to find peace in his soul. Though personally I find peace in my soul when I find answers to my questions from the point of view of science. I never insulted the United States and the U.S. State Department. In the end, the United States itself as a state, not guilty, that today they have such stupid leaders.