Evolution

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Evolution

Post by CUDA »

In a study published in the medical journal Human Reproduction, researchers analyzed many different lifestyle factors that could possibly have an impact on male infertility. The study was the largest of its kind, examining how habits such as smoking and drinking alcohol affected men’s sperm size and shape – also known as sperm morphology.

According to the researchers, marijuana use was the only habit they studied to be strongly associated with abnormal sperm morphology.
Watch out Washington and Colorado. Survival of the fittest :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re: Evolution

Post by CDN_Merlin »

i didn't read the link but I would assume that eating genetically modified foods would eventually play a role. Also eating foods covered with pesticides and not washed correctly etc etc. Also, we eat way more salt and sugar than is good for us and I'm sure over generations that HAS to impact us somehow.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
ThugsRook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ThugsRook »

so what you're saying is that there is no such thing as evolution, only mutation ~ i agree :)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

No no. Now there is mutation for sure but we still evolve but not as we used to. Now we are forcing the changes instead of letting nature take it's course.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Actually Cuda, that was discovered back in the 70's. Wonder why it's "big news" now. oh well. :)
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Duper wrote:Actually Cuda, that was discovered back in the 70's. Wonder why it's "big news" now. oh well. :)
Washington, Colorado :wink:
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I blame it on climate change.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I think it will be a good experiment. That's the only way we'll know what happens to people when the populations of 2 entire states are constantly zoned out on a particular drug. An actual long term research experiment on such a large group of people would be deemed unethical. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

All joking aside, I think that sperm morphology (which can be affected by a lot of different medications) is orthogonal to genetic mutations.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

So maybe marijuana use will be self correcting in the affected populations. Less viable sperm, lower rates of reproduction, less users as time passes.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Jeff250 wrote:All joking aside, I think that sperm morphology (which can be affected by a lot of different medications) is orthogonal to genetic mutations.
That, and the greatest marker of fertility (by a huge margin) is testicle size.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

All I can say about it that my girlfriend loves when I eat pineapple shortly before sex :D
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

vision wrote:
Jeff250 wrote:All joking aside, I think that sperm morphology (which can be affected by a lot of different medications) is orthogonal to genetic mutations.
LOL
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

sigma wrote:All I can say about it that my girlfriend loves when I eat pineapple shortly before sex :D
oysters, my man, oysters.......
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Spidey wrote:
vision wrote:
LOL
Also, I'm guess this Fox News article is the source:
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/06/0 ... men-sperm/
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Here's an older story from 2003 and not Fox News. Apparently, men's sperm go all hyperactive on THC, then burn out their motors well before they get to home base. But it gets better. Women who smoke have the THC show up in their vaginal fluids. So once the sperm gets "deposited", they come into contact with the already present THC and never make it to their destination for the same reason.

http://www.webmd.com/men/news/20031013/ ... -fertility
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Stoned sperm. Never imagined that.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Pot: the male birth control pill! :lol:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

yet, all of the lifetime smokers i've ever known had kids, some lots of them, none of them is childless. Go figure.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

vision wrote:
And here I thought my massive nuts was a bad thing...
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

quit whining, I'll let you borrow my wheelbarrow. :wink:
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

vision wrote:Stoned sperm. Never imagined that.
Kinda counter intuitive. You'd think a stoner's sperm would be slower and more lazy. I'd have guessed a tweaker's sperm to much faster and quicker to burn out. Go figure. :P
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

I'm not whining. I'm bragging. :P
Z..
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Z.. »

I don't care what I eat, the ★■◆● is taking it down.