D is for done.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

D is for done.

Post by snoopy »

...Okay maybe in my case A and B are for done since a C would put me on academic probation and I don't think D's exist in grad school.

I took my last final for my MSEE from Drexel university last night. Saturday is commencement. 4.5 years of evening classes and finishing up at work only to go home and study all evening is over!
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: D is for done.

Post by Jeff250 »

Epic! Congrats!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Awesome. I'm about to do some graduate crap... yay... more school..
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Way to go snoopy! No more pencils, no more books, no more teacher's dirty looks! Ya know, this little ditty needs updating.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Nostalgia... I even envy you a bit :wink: Congratulations :)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

No D+? ;)

Congratulations, Snoopy!

At some point soon here I'm going to have to get serious about web development. Managing a department for people that don't know how to run a successful business is getting impossible to stomach. I think I'll be set to start my own business when I'm done, though, because I'll have dealt with most of the mistakes you can make in the business world, and I will have pulled some semblance of success out of a total absence of structure. Give me strength!

My brother is pursuing some sort of engineering field as well, but at this point it's all self-study in advanced mathematics and mechanics. It'll be interesting to see where he goes with that.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Very nice, Snoopy, congrats! :D

What's the next step for you?
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Thanks guys.

Next step: I owe my company a year of service or face having to pay all of my tuition benefit back, so at least a year of staying put. After that, we will see.
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Fnoigy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fnoigy »

So you're saying . . . you want the D?

But seriously, good job. I'm on my second masters and I am so frustrated with how I just can't seem to stop going to school, and with heading into teaching, I never really will get far away.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Congrats Snoopy! Way to go!
8)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

tunnelcat wrote:Way to go snoopy! No more pencils, no more books, no more teacher's dirty looks! Ya know, this little ditty needs updating.
No educational apps, on Khan i tread, teacher stop downvoting my thread.

?
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Excellent snoopy. Well done!

Now find (or keep) a good gig, invest well, and in 30 years enjoy that retirement.
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

roid wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:Way to go snoopy! No more pencils, no more books, no more teacher's dirty looks! Ya know, this little ditty needs updating.

?
How about "No more styluses, no more iPads, no more teacher's reading my texts out loud to the rest of the class.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

tunnelcat wrote:
roid wrote:

?
How about "No more styluses, no more iPads, no more teacher's reading my texts out loud to the rest of the class.
I did lots of Maple/Matlab at home for my homework... but in class I am still the old fashioned pen and paper type. My class notes largely aren't about future reference, they are about cementing the information in my mind. Textbooks are for future reference.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

snoopy wrote:Next step: I owe my company a year of service or face having to pay all of my tuition benefit back, so at least a year of staying put.
Assuming the tuition has already been paid, I'm curious about whether they can still legally hold that over you.

(When I recently changed jobs, the previous employer tried to get me to stay by threatening to charge me for some tuition-reimbursement they had paid. They didn't do it, and I'm not sure they even had the legal ability to do so.)
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Foil wrote:
snoopy wrote:Next step: I owe my company a year of service or face having to pay all of my tuition benefit back, so at least a year of staying put.
Assuming the tuition has already been paid, I'm curious about whether they can still legally hold that over you.

(When I recently changed jobs, the previous employer tried to get me to stay by threatening to charge me for some tuition-reimbursement they had paid. They didn't do it, and I'm not sure they even had the legal ability to do so.)
Well, it's in the employee handbook and on every tuition reimbursement form that I filled out... so it's certainly not a disclosure issue. It's intended to be some type of a contract... I guess if I really wanted to fight it I could consult to lawyer to find out if what I signed is really legally binding. That being said, I don't particularly want to burn bridges and I know that these sorts of agreements are fairly common place, and knowing my employer I'd be looking at a fight over it. I figure better to just do my year and then ditch. That plan also gives me a year to line up a path forward... and I guess it gives them a year to suddenly decide to start paying me fairly.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

snoopy wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:
roid wrote:

?
I did lots of Maple/Matlab at home for my homework... but in class I am still the old fashioned pen and paper type. My class notes largely aren't about future reference, they are about cementing the information in my mind. Textbooks are for future reference.
It's been a long time. I graduated college 36 years ago. It's a very different place there by now, even with pen and paper still in use. I'd have loved access to the net and having electronics around to assist me in my studies, but that's history and even textbooks will eventually be history if our local college bookstore's dearth of books is any indication. All that said, there's a whole new life ahead for you, so don't forget the wonderful time you spent learning and growing up, even though it may not have seemed like it at the time. :)