I want to start playing again

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

iplaysax
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

I want to start playing again

Post by iplaysax »

...but I don't know how.

I tried connecting to PXO, but it was down, so I started searching for any site updated after 2004 and found this! There seem to be a lot of D3 players on this forum.

Where are you guys playing now? I heard someone mention Gamespy, descent.cx, and Kali. I used to have a Kali login, but I lost it and cannot remember what e-mail address I used to get it, so it's gone. I can't find information on configuring D3 to work with Gamespy or descent.cx. Basically all I want to do is play my favorite game (well, maybe D2 was my favorite) every now and then again. Can anyone point me to any information on how to configure D3 to use some type of free service?
iplaysax
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by iplaysax »

Oh, and I meant to ask... is it worth the $16 to register for Kali? I probably wouldn't use it for any games other than D3
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Kali rocks. I use it for D3, Tribes2, BF 1942 / Desert Combat / Vietnam, MOHAA ... Yes it is worth the money, you may not use it for anything but D3 for now but it will prolly still be in service 10 years from now ... go figure.
Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Bold Deceiver »

(Man I hope I'm not being trolled).

Check this thread, and the postings by Suncho, for ways of playing online without PXO. Spread the word, too, once you figure it out, please.

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2085

BD
iplaysax
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by iplaysax »

You're not being trolled. I just figured out how to use d3.descent.cx. For those who are interested:

You have to click on the IP address on the far right, and there are two options to run D3... all it does is run D3 with command-line options using a .bat file. Missions must be downloaded ahead of time (as far as I know), and can be found at planetdescent.com.

I happen to know a couple of old descent players, and I will certainly spread the word. enjoy.

I just played a game on stadium, and man it's nice to play D3 again. Now I'm ready to roll over and smoke a cigarette before bed.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Not sure it's mentioned in the other thread -- Kquery works very well and it's free :)