another triumph for the 2nd Amendment

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: another triumph for the 2nd Amendment

Post by Will Robinson »

vision wrote:
Spidey wrote:Personally I believe the amendment gives the people the right to defend the country and themselves against enemies of freedom*…which will never become obsolete.
Adam Lanza killed 26 enemies of freedom.
Adam Lanza wasn't responsible for his actions.

He was a severely mentally ill person who created and put up posters of school shooters/mass murderers and the details of their victims on his bedroom wall where he lived with his mother.

His caretaker and mother, in spite of saying she was having increasing difficulty helping him cope with life, encouraged him to use guns, took him shooting and kept numerous weapons in the home with him.

So he was a victim of disease and/or genetics and a bad caretaker/mother.

Adam Lanza's mother negligently killed 26 children plus her son, and herself, all of whose tragic deaths you are eagerly exploiting so you can make a snarky comment on an Internet forum.

If you want to juxtapose and debate the net value of tragic deaths by gun use vs. the legitimate use of guns for self defense then do it.
But stop being a tool and thinking you are making a genuine contribution to the discussion. Or are you aware that by what you did you are just being a tool?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

My point from the beginning is that I don't think the 2nd Amendment gives everyone Joe Shmoe the right to bear arms. It does imply arms should be held by a well-regulated militia. I think the right to have a gun for personal defense is a state issue. I also think there should be more effort to remove guns from the hand of people who use them irresponsibly (which includes crime).
Spidey wrote:Also people get all upset when someone shoots someone...but the same group of people say 911 was just statistics, and start talking a bunch of ★■◆● about how it's more likely to get hit by lightning.
11,068 died from firearm homicide in 2011. This is about average for every year and does not include firearm accidents or suicides. So yeah, if 911 happened 3 times a year, every year, death by terrorism would be a bigger concern. Unlike cancer and other types of terminal diseases, we can actually do something about guns, like, oh I don't know, STOP MAKING THEM and giving them to everyone.

You are now free to cue the tired, untrue argument that more guns create more safety, which would would be better accomplished by having fewer guns and more training / checks for the people who own them legally, something that could have prevented the incident at the beginning of this thread.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well…I have never made the claim that more guns equal more safety, but I know the things that make me safer.

As far as preventing the OP story, yes if you magically poofed all guns out of existence, that crime would have been impossible to commit with a firearm. (did you see the last time slick posted a gun story from that site…and I posted about a dozen non-gun related crimes from the same site…nobody blinks an eye when someone is set on fire…but if a gun is used….OH NO!)

And if you would kindly inform me just who is giving out those guns to everyone, I had to buy mine.

And you did exactly what I predicted, you reduced 911 and gun deaths to a number, but only seem to care about one of them.

Prove you really care about people, and go after cars.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Spidey wrote:And you did exactly what I predicted, you reduced 911 and gun deaths to a number, but only seem to care about one of them.
Actually, our government has gone to extreme and disproportionate lengths to combat terrorism. Physicist Antony Garrett Lisi writes the following about "Uncalculated Risk:"
The likelihood of being killed by terrorism is extremely low, yet we have instituted actions to counter terrorism that significantly reduce our quality of life. As a recent example, x-ray body scanners could increase the risk of cancer to a degree greater than the risk from terrorism ... risks need to be managed rationally
Thanks to 911 we have an incredible loss of liberty, yet there is no comparable policies for gun violence, which is demonstrably worse than terrorism. That gets fact gets more pronounced when you include the decades of data before 911.
Spidey wrote:Prove you really care about people, and go after cars.
I've already used that same phrase in other threads like this one. I simply wanted to state that the 2nd Amendment isn't the right place to look for the legal authority to own a gun for personal use. I think it is a misuse of that federal law and gun owners only have rights as far as the state allows. However, I'm all for a comprehensive federal policy on guns, which should include mandatory classes in school to go along with Driver's Ed and Sex Ed. Gun safety is at least as important as those. (Also, cars will be completely automatic before the end of the century, so yeah, we are already "going after" cars, nimrod)
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

We're done
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

vision wrote:My point from the beginning is that I don't think the 2nd Amendment gives everyone Joe Shmoe the right to bear arms. It does imply arms should be held by a well-regulated militia.
The wording of the second amendment makes it abundantly clear that these two are separate, if somewhat related. An individual has the right to bear arms (including Joe Schmoe), and they also have the right to join and/or form a militia (which generally requires being armed).
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

actually, as I pointed out before, any reading of the words will tell you that the Amendment gives the citizenry the right to bear arms(actually prevents such arms from being prevented from having them) FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE of enabling militias to be formed when needed. Which, in the context of the times, made sense. Now, it makes no sense whatsoever, as we don't rely on militias at all for defense.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I’m sure any nitwit could have worded the amendment better if that were the case.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

callmeslick wrote:actually, as I pointed out before, any reading of the words will tell you that the Amendment gives the citizenry the right to bear arms(actually prevents such arms from being prevented from having them) FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE of enabling militias to be formed when needed. Which, in the context of the times, made sense. Now, it makes no sense whatsoever, as we don't rely on militias at all for defense.
Your interpretation of the rights of citizens being limited to, and wholly dependant on, the substance of the example stated in the 2nd Amendment is EXACTLY why the 9th Amendment was put in. To make it clear that the kind of interpretation of our rights...all our rights...the bulk of them not listed anywhere...that ill-conceived interpretation that you offered will not be used to reduce the individuals rights.

Some of the founders said we don't need a bill of rights because the federal government can only do the specific things that are listed and otherwise all rights are belonging to the people. Thankfully some of them were more prescient.

Madison said in his speech at the introduction of the Bill of rights:
"It has been said, by way of objection to a bill of rights....that in the Federal Government they are unnecessary, because the powers are enumerated, and it follows, that all that are not granted by the constitution are retained; that the constitution is a bill of powers, the great residuum being the rights of the people; and, therefore, a bill of rights cannot be so necessary as if the residuum was thrown into the hands of the Government. I admit that these arguments are not entirely without foundation, but they are not as conclusive to the extent it has been proposed. It is true the powers of the general government are circumscribed; they are directed to particular objects; but even if government keeps within those limits, it has certain discretionary powers with respect to the means, which may admit of abuse."
The Constitution and the Bill of Rights is basically a set of rules and restrictions set up to restrict and control Government NOT the people as your interpretation depends.
This is a common theme among the founders comments and can be seen in the structure and core composition of the documents.

The "the great residuum" of rights are retained by the individual. Therefore the example of being able to form up a militia is not the only legitimate reason the individual has to claim the right to keep and bear arms. It is simply an example of the importance "inserted for greater caution".
That those clauses which declare that Congress shall not exercise certain powers be not interpreted in any manner whatsoever to extend the powers of Congress. But that they may be construed either as making exceptions to the specified powers where this shall be the case, or otherwise as inserted merely for greater caution.
"those clauses" being the listed rights in the Bill of rights...

So just because the example of a right to bear arms to form a militia is listed, there is no new power given to the government to otherwise take away the right to keep and bear arms for any other purpose. The right to keep and bear arms was so fundamentally important, as free speech, right to assembly, etc. as to be pointed out, inserted for greater caution. Pointed out to the government in anticipation of it wrongly attempting to interfere with our liberty.

slick you have adopted an interpretation of the documents that serves your political ideology but it does not pass the test of the actual evidence.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Spidey wrote:I’m sure any nitwit could have worded the amendment better if that were the case.
You are under the romantic illusion that the founding fathers were some sort of clairvoyant geniuses. They wrote the text in terms they understood in an environment that made sense to them. Why did these geniuses explicitly cite the formation of a militia, as the subject of the amendment, when all they needed to say was "every citizen has the right to bear arms?" Sounds like the founding fathers were nitwits if that is the case.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

They did say everyone has that right and gave an example of why.
See my reply to slick and how the 9th amendment is designed to protect all our rights from the kind of mistake you are making.

You are suggesting they could have made it simpler by giving no example but you are 'conveniently' missing the core of the whole Constitution and all of our rights, in that, unless the constitution specifies the government can prohibit the right to keep and bear arms in a blanket sense then by default they can not.
Regardless of any clause that might single out a reason for that right it is not the only reason and the reasons do not need to be given.
That is a very well documented reality.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I find it interesting that both sides are so certain about their interpretation.

If I say, "Group A, being B, have the right to C", does that mean the right to C:
  • ...only applies to members of A who are B
  • ...applies to all members of A because of B
I'm not sure it's so cut-and-dried as either side is making it out to be. In fact, the debate reminds me a bit of some heated debates about scriptural interpretation. :wink:
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

The founding fathers were very keen on natural rights, those rights that are inherent to the human.

Self preservation is as fundamental a right as food, water and shelter. Humans are tool makers…weapons are a natural product of humans.

All through recorded history, governments have kept the common man under control by forbidding the ownership of weapons, except for themselves and their loyal servants.

The founders were a product of the enlightenment, and knew these lessons of history very well. Slick is always talking about the evil Republicans trying to take us back to serfdom, well the quickest path back to serfdom is a disarmed common man.

You think the police get out of control now…just wait.

The argument that the government has superior weapons: well governments (kings or whatever) have always had superior weapons, in medieval times the common man might have had a slingshot (if he was even allowed to have a weapon) while the king had catapults.

There was a time when people weren’t even allowed to have simple tools in their possession like knives or axes without the supervision of guards, allowing them to do work for the king.

But the point is…the oppression of the people was never accomplished by the heavy superior weapons, but by the fact that the king’s knight had a sword, and you were helpless.

Also…

The whole idea that the second is obsolete because of some fantasy delusion that any counter to oppression would take place as a “frontline” type of campaign is ludicrous, only way this can happen is through gorilla warfare, where small arms have the advantage and large heavy weapons are a liability.

Want to turn back the clock…fine in a few years all of us old white gun nuts will be dead and gone, and the people will have long forgotten the lessons of history, and be at the mercy of…whatever…but I won’t care…because I will be dead.

/drama
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Foil, if you constrain the debate to only interpreting the Bill of Rights to define the citizens rights it is easier to accept your 'blurred lines of distinction'.

If you read the Constitution and {this is important} the contemporaneous documentation generated from the process of creating that document then you will see that the specific details of the then unknown future are not such a wrench in the works as the anti-gun people would like you to believe.

The Bill of Rights is commentary on what to give priority to when, either the limitations on, or sanctioned authority given to, the government might collide with individuals liberty and/or the authority of the States.
It is an introduction to the intended interpretation of the Constitution's meaning written by the authors of the Constitution. It is not intended to be a complete list of what rights the people have protected. They were very clear on that.

It isn't enough for the Constitution to say the government is allowed to do x,y and not z because the government will have within its scope of responsibility to re-define x, y and z as future conditions warrant modifying those definitions. The Bill of Rights was intended to be a check against using the ability to rewrite the definitions in a way that it infringes on the inalienable rights that are to be always protected.

The house plans may have to change, rooms added, sizes altered, etc. but the foundation the rooms are on is set in stone....

No guns in a polling place? Sure, it doesn't create a loss of liberty of any meaningful degree and helps to greatly improve the likely hood of fair elections which is a responsibility assigned to the Fed and State.

No guns in the homes of the homeowners? Absolutely infringes in numerous ways and only serves to give the government extraordinary power over the people. It would create the very thing the revolution was fought to end. Arbitrary enforcement with no means to give your petitions of grievance any weight. Servitude and forced compliance.

According to slick it isn't literally spelled out in the 2nd amendment therefore it isnt a right...

However, that is taking the assumption that government holds "the great residuum" of rights and has given the people only those that are listed, and now, according to slick's interpretation of the intent of the 2nd amendment, the government can revoke the right of the 2nd amendment. As if it is something the government can 'take back'! The government NEVER held that right in the first place. The right preceded the governments formation and the contract stipulates that the right shall not be infringed!

The right to an abortion isnt spelled out at all but the lefty's had no trouble with understanding individual liberty takes precedence in that debate. They understood how the 9th amendment works in that debate...

The rights, all of them, listed and unlisted, are the possession of the people.

The Constitution is a contract that binds the people hired to run the government and restricts their actions, making many, many, acts highly illegal for them to engage in.

The Bill of rights is like an employee handbook describing ways that would put them in breech of the contracts stipulations. It isn't a complete list by any means. It is a guide book to proper stewardship of our republic.

A recurring theme throughout the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and all the contemporaneous writings that were purposefully archived to guide future representatives to the correct understanding the intent and meanings is this:

What is the default position of where authority lies when there is any doubt raised?
It lies with the individuals that make up the population of free citizens.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Speaking of triumphs of the 2nd amendment.

Moore Oklahoma, guy uses his gun to stop knife wielding Muslim that beheads one woman and was trying to kill a second. Good thing he wasn't part of a "well armed militia" huh.....
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

And surely if he didn't have a gun he would have said "whelp, I guess there is nothing I can do!" and walked away.
Z..
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Z.. »

Guy was a retired sheriff or something along those lines, not some yokel that thinks the earth is 6000 years old
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

CUDA wrote:Speaking of triumphs of the 2nd amendment.

Moore Oklahoma, guy uses his gun to stop knife wielding Muslim that beheads one woman and was trying to kill a second. Good thing he wasn't part of a "well armed militia" huh.....
umm, where did you hear he was Muslim. I heard a fired employee on my news reports.
update: read the morning reports just now about him proseletyzing for Islam.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

The guy who shot the crazy bastard is a reserve deputy, often a token title or a volunteer that helps direct traffic in civil emergency situations or a retired former law enforcement, not an on duty sheriff carrying his duty weapon.
He is reported to be a former CEO of the business the attack took place in.

He used a rifle, probably his own which he thankfully still has a right to have.
If slicks interpretation of the law was in effect he wouldn't have been able to shoot the guy before the second woman died and at best would have entered into hand to hand combat with a knife wielding assailant.

In essence he is the epitome of what the 2nd amendment provides us. A citizen going about his daily business able and equipped to defend against an armed threat.

If he tried to run down to the state guard armory to retrieve his assigned 'militia' weapon and come back he would have been too late. Self defense is not something the government can regulate.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

attaboy, wildly misinterpret me at least twice(never said people cannot own a weapon, nor did I ever suggest that I thought the armory idea was a good idea, even back in 1786). Now, the point is well taken that this guy used a legal weapon in a very responsible and civic-minded manner. He should be applauded. None of that negates the need for far more stringent regulation and control over ownership. No one(at least not me, nor anyone I've encountered) suggests taking ALL guns away, just being sensible at who has them, with a bit more awareness of who has them. You see, the only folks with problems around the latter seem to be the same ones who think they're going to need to overthrow the government, and there's where I have BIG problems.
George Orwell---"1984"
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

OK, so are you back on your meds this morning? Because you are the same guy making the argument for repealing the 2nd amendment because there is no need for it. Tell that to the victim this armed citizen saved.

You dont know what you want or believe slick. You bounce back and forth like ship without a rudder.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

vision wrote:And surely if he didn't have a gun he would have said "whelp, I guess there is nothing I can do!" and walked away.
Yes but he did have a gun, and he stopped the threat without further injury to the other woman, himself, And potentially others.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

callmeslick wrote:attaboy, wildly misinterpret me at least twice(never said people cannot own a weapon, nor did I ever suggest that I thought the armory idea was a good idea, even back in 1786). Now, the point is well taken that this guy used a legal weapon in a very responsible and civic-minded manner. He should be applauded. None of that negates the need for far more stringent regulation and control over ownership. No one(at least not me, nor anyone I've encountered) suggests taking ALL guns away, just being sensible at who has them, with a bit more awareness of who has them. You see, the only folks with problems around the latter seem to be the same ones who think they're going to need to overthrow the government, and there's where I have BIG problems.
But there are many on the left that do .

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Will Robinson wrote:OK, so are you back on your meds this morning? Because you are the same guy making the argument for repealing the 2nd amendment because there is no need for it. Tell that to the victim this armed citizen saved.

You dont know what you want or believe slick. You bounce back and forth like ship without a rudder.
you realize that you could repeal the 2nd, and still allow folks to own guns, right?
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

CUDA wrote:
callmeslick wrote:attaboy, wildly misinterpret me at least twice(never said people cannot own a weapon, nor did I ever suggest that I thought the armory idea was a good idea, even back in 1786). Now, the point is well taken that this guy used a legal weapon in a very responsible and civic-minded manner. He should be applauded. None of that negates the need for far more stringent regulation and control over ownership. No one(at least not me, nor anyone I've encountered) suggests taking ALL guns away, just being sensible at who has them, with a bit more awareness of who has them. You see, the only folks with problems around the latter seem to be the same ones who think they're going to need to overthrow the government, and there's where I have BIG problems.

find me an example, please.
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

vision wrote:And surely if he didn't have a gun he would have said "whelp, I guess there is nothing I can do!" and walked away.
Now apply that exact logic to the OP or the unhappy lover example you gave before.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

callmeslick wrote:you realize that you could repeal the 2nd, and still allow folks to own guns, right?
Yea, but that would open a huge can of worms like gun states and non-gun states, and a litany of other divisive crap.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

callmeslick wrote:
CUDA wrote:

find me an example, please.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/12/2 ... rm-process#
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

fair enough find, Spidey. Worth noting is that even in the DailyKos milleu, the poll shows that only 2% support the idea of a total ban. 3 times as many picked the third option(I like Pie, not making this up) and 90% said NO.
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe.
If I could've gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them -- Mr. and Mrs. America turn 'em all in -- I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here.
Dianne Feinstien

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

CUDA, she wasn't talking about a ban on gun possession. Only a very limited class of guns. As I pointed out with the poll on the Kos article, you CAN find a tiny percentage of left-leaning types in favor of such absolutes, but nothing approaching any real threat. In my experience,the thing that encourages even THAT small group is resistance by gun nuts to rational approaches that DO draw 80% public support, such as universal background checks and the like. Sort of like aggression creates terrorists, militant stupidity around sensible gun laws breeds extreme pushback by some.
George Orwell---"1984"
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Spidey wrote:
callmeslick wrote:you realize that you could repeal the 2nd, and still allow folks to own guns, right?
Yea, but that would open a huge can of worms like gun states and non-gun states, and a litany of other divisive crap.
That's actually a great idea and what the founding fathers would have wanted. There would be potential to use laws that make more sense in states where gun violence is a bigger problem. It would also provide the opportunity to try different schemes to see which ones worked or not. A lot of good policy starts at the state level, most recently gay marriage, pot decriminalization, and Romneycare.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea, the founding fathers were real big on divisive crap. :roll:
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Sorry slick, you're wrong. She made that second quote in 1995 AFTER she got the initial assault weapons ban passed. Look it up.

― Theodore Roosevelt
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

callmeslick wrote:...
you realize that you could repeal the 2nd, and still allow folks to own guns, right?
First of all there is no "allow". To 'allow' implies there is currently some central authority that delivers that right...that permits us to own guns right now because it see's fit to do so.
So your misunderstanding, or misrepresentation, of our rights is showing.

Right now we have the right and only in certain situations do we, the people agree to use government to limit that right.

If we allow the government to be the arbiter of the peoples rights then we are doomed. Why not just repeal the Judicial branch while you are at it?!?

And to visions comment that repealing the 2nd would be what the founders want is absolutely ludicrous. Completely contrary to everything they had to say about our rights. To suggest that their desire to have the States hold much power to themselves away from Federal control is somehow proof that they didn't really mean all the other steps they took to document and ensure the people held certain rights to be individual rights away from both State and Fed is as wrong as you could be on the subject.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

― Theodore Roosevelt
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Spidey wrote:Yea, the founding fathers were real big on divisive crap. :roll:
Are you joking? The entire country is founded as a collection of individual states. It's even in our name: The United States of America. They deliberately restricted the power of the federal government and didn't even address slavery because there was no consensus. They did not have all the answers. If they did, we might have avoided the Civil War.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Sure, but it’s pretty obvious if the founders wanted to leave gun rights in the hands of the states, there would be no gun rights amendment.

I understand your argument about militia would change that dynamic, but also remember I don’t agree with that assessment.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:Sure, but it’s pretty obvious if the founders wanted to leave gun rights in the hands of the states, there would be no gun rights amendment.

I understand your argument about militia would change that dynamic, but also remember I don’t agree with that assessment.
not so fast. I adhere, as is known, to the militia intent, but agree that the 2nd was designed so that NO STATE could deny the right to bear arms.
George Orwell---"1984"