Hollywood is the epitome of poseur....

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Hollywood is the epitome of poseur....

Post by Will Robinson »

Not just its product which is expected and appropriate, but in its soul which is absolutely not.

I'll never enjoy another action adventure movie again without remembering the complete cowardice of Sony and the consensus of Hollywood for their role in making Kim Jung dipstick fat boy a more ferocious terrorist than any real threat that ever did take a life.

If I was Obama I'd buy the rights to The Interview and offer it for free to theaters and use the profits to create little doughboy Kim Jung dipstick dolls shaped out of urinal cakes to put in restrooms around the country.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Hollywood is the epitome of poseur....

Post by sigma »

Personally, I really admire the latest vomit urging Hollywood, that they were able to turn such talented actors like Pierce Brosnan and Denzel Washington in the feces sickening anti-Russian propaganda. I mean "The November Man" and "The Equalizer". Moreover, I understand that in order to attract American audiences must use the "Russian theme" that justify the cost for creating movies. I do not have anything against it. But these films are made so stupid that I just feel sorry for the great actors.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Will, you think Sony made the decision to cave, or that our government told them what to do in the name of national security? I noticed that Sony also pulled another oldie piece of trash from circulation too, Team Fortress America, although I don't know how they can possibly bury that piece of junk so easily.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I think Sony did hoping to keep more damning material from being released
But I'm a hopeless cynic.

Wouldn't be surprised if our current government likes the appeasement approach though
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Will Robinson wrote: Wouldn't be surprised if our current government likes the appeasement approach though
Yup. With money or missiles.
Apparently Japan imee much greater economic independence, unlike France, which is even willing to compromise the integrity of the French business and cause to reflect deeply on the major contracts with that unfortunate country. Incidentally, this is the American taxpayers will be to compensate this if you do not know.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Russians make the most bad-ass bad guys. ;) [/off-topic]
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Yeah, weak move.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Why is Russia even mentioned here,
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Incidentally, it is very interesting what the Soviet and Russian films and TV series you watched and what you like or dislike?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Will Robinson wrote:I think Sony did hoping to keep more damning material from being released

Wouldn't be surprised if our current government likes the appeasement approach though
except your government, via it's elected President, has condemned it. Can't face the truth again, huh?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

callmeslick wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:I think Sony did hoping to keep more damning material from being released

except your government, via it's elected President, has condemned it. Can't face the truth again, huh?
Are you implying our government does not lie to us? Doesn't say one thing but do the other? Doesn't bend over backwards to appease people they shouldn't?
Obama condemning something proves nothing. You citing that condemnation as evidence proves you are either foolish or a partisan kneejerking hack compelled to defend him at any sign of criticism. In this case all I said was I thought it WASNT the government's doing but wouldn't be surprised if they approved.

Trouble facing the truth? I'm the one who points out the truth.
You are the one who will say anything to protect the current head of the government no matter what.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

sigma wrote:Incidentally, it is very interesting what the Soviet and Russian films and TV series you watched and what you like or dislike?
Okay. I reformulate the question. Americans do not have the opportunity to watch Russian films, because they can not find a translation into English or the Americans basically do not want to watch movies from Russia to expand your horizons and get a better idea of Russia, because it is taboo for Americans and unpatriotic?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Here's another good reason. Movie theater owners are the one's who caved. They started refusing to show the movie out of fears of some sort of terrorist events, like the one in Colorado, so Sony no longer had any venues to show it. That doesn't rule out some other form of release however.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

sigma wrote:
sigma wrote:Incidentally, it is very interesting what the Soviet and Russian films and TV series you watched and what you like or dislike?
Okay. I reformulate the question. Americans do not have the opportunity to watch Russian films, because they can not find a translation into English or the Americans basically do not want to watch movies from Russia to expand your horizons and get a better idea of Russia, because it is taboo for Americans and unpatriotic?
There is another reason we would pass on your films. We are too well aware of the lack of freedom and have no interest in the 'approved' film list of the KGB/ Polit Bureau. Things may be different there now but it will take decades before we would begin to be open to the possibility that what you have is genuine and not edited by government or written to satisfy government.

In short, any country that puts musicians in prison for their song lyrics is not the kind of place that makes good films.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Will Robinson wrote:
sigma wrote:
There is another reason we would pass on your films. We are too well aware of the lack of freedom and have no interest in the 'approved' film list of the KGB/ Polit Bureau. Things may be different there now but it will take decades before we would begin to be open to the possibility that what you have is genuine and not edited by government or written to satisfy government.

In short, any country that puts musicians in prison for their song lyrics is not the kind of place that makes good films.
Thank you for your honest opinion. Sadly it all. I'm not even going to persuade you. I will only add that you have no idea what the real Russia.
I can only advise you to get acquainted with the poetry Sergei Yesenin. Then you will learn a lot about the soul of Russia. I misspoke. Because being a Russian - is not the pursuit of money. Be Russian - a special state of mind.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

tunnelcat wrote:Here's another good reason. Movie theater owners are the one's who caved. They started refusing to show the movie out of fears of some sort of terrorist events, like the one in Colorado, so Sony no longer had any venues to show it. That doesn't rule out some other form of release however.
That's basically what happened, and what Sony's exec said in response to Obama. All of the major chains declined to show it, and so Sony just bagged the whole release. I can't help but think that they were happy for the excuse though.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

IMO it was a crap movie anyway. Kind of funny that the hackers released it on the net, rather than trashing it. I guess it was more important to hurt the ones profiting by it than to remove the material (easier?)...
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Uh oh. Things are escalating. I sure hope our government knows what it's getting into by starting a cyber war with North Korea. They don't need the internet, we do however.

http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-exper ... 18060.html

IF North Korea was even responsible.

http://news.yahoo.com/did-north-korea-r ... itics.html
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

sigma wrote:Americans do not have the opportunity to watch Russian films, because they can not find a translation into English or the Americans basically do not want to watch movies from Russia to expand your horizons and get a better idea of Russia, because it is taboo for Americans and unpatriotic?
The last Russian film I saw was one I saw with my son: Space Dogs (computer-animated film loosely about the dogs sent into space by the Soviet space program). It wasn't bad.

I also just watched a German romantic comedy with my wife last night.

[ It's a mistake to assume Americans don't enjoy international film. ]
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

:)
Yes, cartoons most versatile movies. In Russia, a lot of good films and TV series, but perhaps I will not advise anything. You will be able to understand about their sense only if you have at least a month spent in Russia ...or you need at least a little know Russian tradition and history. Otherwise, you just do not understand their meaning......Although, perhaps, these you can understand
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The movie is not dead. With all this hype, it will probably get more views than it would have normally for a Rogen Franco romp. The North Koreans should have kept their mouths shut and let this formulaic movie die it's usual natural death. Now, it's famous.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/23/media/s ... index.html
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

There's a movie theater chain here in MI that is going to show The Interview for free in support of the 2nd amendment. Sorry TC, not all corporate leaders are scum.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

woodchip wrote:in support of the 2nd amendment
Freudian slip? :P
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Oopsy...meant first. Heh.

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Seriously though, I didn't have any interest in this movie before the whole mess started, but now I want to see it just for the sake of doing so. It's probably going to wind up making a ton of money however Sony decides to finally release it.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Perhaps I will remove links to smart movie, not to defile them in this thread.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote:There's a movie theater chain here in MI that is going to show The Interview for free in support of the 2nd amendment. Sorry TC, not all corporate leaders are scum.
Where did I say Sony was scum? All I said was with all this hacker BS, they'll make far more money than if they'd released it normally. Seth Rogen movies usually don't enter the blockbuster arena. The hackers allowed it to achieve that feat, which is kind of counter to what they were trying to achieve with blackmail in the first place. :lol: . And good for Sony that they're showing it for free.

sigma, I know that the Russians didn't like the movie "Enemy at the Gates", which was about the WWII sniper, Vasily Zaitsev, but I liked it and rooted for old Vasily to shoot as many Nazis as possible and get the win for Russia.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Haaaa...Sony just made the movie available to buy/rent online starting today. Good on them!
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Of the last movies I really liked Oblivion.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Haven't seen that one yet. I'm not really a fan of Tom Cruise, but I might just watch it when it comes on cable.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I just can not believe that you can not watch any movies for free at any time on the internet. In my opinion, you are a little disingenuous :wink:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ummm sigma, it's a little hard with a 1.5 mbps connection speed and I don't like to watch movies in low definition, or with high definition constantly buffering and pausing either.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Maybe it's time to change the computer? You can be assured that you will watch high quality movies online without any pauses.
And by the way, if I use the system unit in the main house, my girl looks humorous shows YouTube on iPhone, and I still have not seen that she had problems buffering. I should clarify that this is in Moscow. When I live in the countryside cottage, there is not only unstable internet, but can even be turned off electricity for 6-8 hours. Therefore, I have a large collection of favorite movies that I can look at the media center in the car at any time. :)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

It's not the computer sigma. I only have a choice between 2 internet providers, Comcast, the cable company and Century Link, the phone company. Comcast is expensive for what they offer and the speed they offer. Plus, when all my neighbors are online and most of my neighbors are, the speed really drops, so it's not an option. Century Link now offers up to 10mbps, which I might upgrade to, eventually, but I'd rather bump up to at least 100 mbps if I'm going through the hassle, if it was even available. Both options are pretty lousy for one of the countries that invented the internet. :roll:
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Can not you use a 3G or 4G USB-modem other cellular companies? I often go fishing in god knows what the woods, but there's usually works fine cellular internet and navigation. You just need to choose the right operator.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

sigma, TC is looking to hook her PC up to the internet...not use it as a cell phone.

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I mean it was exactly the mobile Internet connection. For example, I use in high-speed cable internet one provider, but outside the city, I use USB-modem mobile Internet for Laptop another operator. And in the mobile phone another operator.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

too many operators ;)

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Different operators because different rates and coverage area of communication. For example, in Moscow and the Moscow Region I use unlimited mobile communications and the Internet in a mobile phone, which costs 150 rubles ($ 3, payment once a month) . Although, when I'm leaving on a business trip or on a vacation far away from Moscow, I use another operator, since the coverage and quality of communication is much better, though a bit more expensive than the cost. Another reason that the city is more profitable to use the navigation of an operator, and 1000 km from Moscow is advantageous to another operator.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

sigma wrote:I mean it was exactly the mobile Internet connection. For example, I use in high-speed cable internet one provider, but outside the city, I use USB-modem mobile Internet for Laptop another operator. And in the mobile phone another operator.
I'm a luddite sigma. I don't have a cell phone. I have no need for one, so why should I pay the extra money just to get a 4G connection for the internet? If someone ever installs fiber up to my house, I'll be very happy. Come ON Google! Corvallis needs you! Screw Portland! :P