#Descent3 on Gamesurge

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

#Descent3 on Gamesurge

Post by Suncho »

Ok guys, we have an official Descent 3 channel on the biggest IRC gaming network there is!

#Descent3
irc.gamesurge.net

-or-

http://www.suncho.com/chat/

Tons and tons of other gamers congregate on Gamesurge, so hanging out here could get Descent3 some big exposure. =)
Garak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Garak »

/me begins mindless idling
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i don't understand why the alternative chat wasn't made on gamesurge in the first place?
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Probably a few reasons:

1. We've been on shadowfire for a while. Originally, the DmC team made a channel there and then we also made a general Descent channel.

2. Gamesurge has a policy on not registering channels that are names of games. I was able to convince them to set me to coowner because I used to work for Outrage.

Unfortunately, some other guy got the channel name #Descent but that's because the Gamesurge people didn't realize it was the name of a game and Descent is the name of his Lineage 2 guild or something... =/
BfDiDDy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BfDiDDy »

if you already have mIRC installed you may want to try and use this link

irc://irc.gamesurge.net/descent3

that link will launch you to chat and put you in the correct channel
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

cool now we have the 5th or 6th descent chat...

Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

This one should also be much easier to connect to from Germany.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

we should do a vote about where to go and close all other channels.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

DigiJo wrote:we should do a vote about where to go and close all other channels.
That's absurd. If 5000 people play this game, they should not all be forced to use one chat room at the same time. Besides, there'd be no way to enforce it.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

yes , but right now we have probably max 120 people that play from time to time, and i dont want to browse xyz channels to find them.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Well gamesurge will probably be the main hub of Descent 3 activity anyway.

[Edit]Note that Gamesurge is also a better location for Team NuB because of the abundance of gamers who are not familiar with Descent 3! =)
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Another good reason to use GameSurge is that people won't get kicked or banned from the #Descent3 channel for no good reason.

I'm banned from #Descent on shadowfire so I couldn't use it even if I wanted to.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Okay, I'll bite, but I'm a little slow. How do I get to this irc.gamesurge.net? Remember, nice and slow.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Suncho... what is it with you. Intead of just going with what is already established. you find some way to make people go off n some stupid direction...which most of them do not return. If anyone is hurting Descent3 Community it would definately be you... pulling them in every direction.

A reply is not required. Facts speak for themselves, you have a proven track record in this area
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Bubba said it best.

Suncho take the advice your given and bugger off.

[edit]Gee, looky here! Now here is a fast and simple way to connect to everyone who plays D3 when PXO is down WITHOUT THE DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL OF AN IRC CLIENT!!!

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2020

Go figure! And we still all connect to the same place!

:roll:
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

You're right. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt the community.
BfDiDDy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BfDiDDy »

pipsqueak10 wrote:Okay, I'll bite, but I'm a little slow. How do I get to this irc.gamesurge.net? Remember, nice and slow.

there should be a tutorial being posted tonight.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

To see what people were chatting about while you were in school, leave chat open while you're in school and then scroll up when you get home.

If my logo is making you dizzy, you probably shouldn't be playing Descent. =P
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Well, moving to a server that is well integrated into the world wide game community sounds like a good idea tho. I'm sure Do_Checkor could change the destination net at the blink of an eye..

Bettina, we're talking about a way to chat not ways to find & join a game ;)
BfDiDDy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BfDiDDy »

You can check out the IRC tutorail. It has a bunch of information on how to automate mIRC, creat custom mIRC themes, and generaly make your chatting experience better.
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

You're right. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt the community.

hehehehehehe
Suncho rules....He always has...and im sure always will. How bout instead of being retarded and never wanting to explore the various options and or new ideas, you guys give suncho props for doing his homework on d3 and giving us guys heads up on the different ways to go.

All you guys trying to rag on suncho for his view on the d3 community is a joke..He knows more about "what time it is" than you guys do.

Hes a D3 guru like muthafkn H&R Block....When he speaks...you beotches should listen and do what you want with the info...Instead of shooting him down or piping up with your own dumb opinion.

Dont listen to the nay sayers suncho. The smart people around here are with you :)

Of course im not smart and probably wont get mIrc to connect to the community....but..I already know this form of communication kicks the crap out of a java enabled web page (as cool as it is it still requires a download if you dont have the right java object).

Bubba I'd like to hire you while you still know everything :)

-JBOMB
BfDiDDy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BfDiDDy »

werd!
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

wurd^2
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

Suncho, I have a question. Maybe I'm a little thick and can't see the big picture, but I'm wondering just how we're going to get the message of D3 across to those using Gamesurge. I was there for the first time today, and during our chat you told me it's not a Gamespy or Kali, but an Internet Relay Chat Server. Great, thousands of channels and users, but how do we get to them or they to us? Do any of those thousands even know we exist? Do we play "pick a channel, any channel"? Ok, there was that fellow named Cain who said he was new to D3. He visited our site, but didn't file an application to join. How did he get there? I didn't think to ask. From this thread here?

Anyway, maybe you can shed some light on the subject, but until I'm convinced differently, I think Gamespy, Kali and other game servers are a more viable means to attracting people to D3.
BfDiDDy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BfDiDDy »

Deadmeat wrote: Great, thousands of channels and users, but how do we get to them or they to us? Do any of those thousands even know we exist? Do we play "pick a channel, any channel"?
There are a couple ways gamesurge can grow the comunity.

1.Master channels list. I go through this list alteast once a week to find a team I'm looking for, or find a game I'm looking for. I know for a fact that others do this as well. One of the guys I play with localy from www.lancamp.com said to me on teamspeak "Hey, check that out, Descent 3 channel, I havn't played descent in years"

2. Multiple channels to visit. #gotfrag is a largely poplulated channel that houses hundreads of gamers. #findscrim has about 700 people on an average with descenters branching out into these chanels, people are bound to notice. Another large chanel #findringer, #findpug, and #calscrim. Again this is all going to be Descenters branching out to these chanels and people going "wow, I remember that game". Descent 2 sold 2 million coppies. Those people went somewhere.
Deadmeat wrote: Ok, there was that fellow named Cain who said he was new to D3. He visited our site, but didn't file an application to join. How did he get there? I didn't think to ask. From this thread here?
Cain is a member of D3k's groundpounder team. He had showed some interest in Descent so we hooked him up. We have another 3 on our team that have never played descent but would like to try it out. This is just another example of how networking out to the gaming comunity will benifit the over all numbers to descent.

Gamesurge is just one aspect of what we would need to do to grow. I've touched on some more points in this thread
Kunck
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Kunck »

BUBBALOU wrote:Suncho... what is it with you. Intead of just going with what is already established. you find some way to make people go off n some stupid direction...which most of them do not return. If anyone is hurting Descent3 Community it would definately be you...
lol . . . funny how defensive some people can get when their perceived "power" is threatened. Don't worry Bubba, I'm sure they'll let you be a channel admin at the new IRC server. rofl, pathetic.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Kunck wrote:
BUBBALOU wrote:Suncho... what is it with you. Intead of just going with what is already established. you find some way to make people go off n some stupid direction...which most of them do not return. If anyone is hurting Descent3 Community it would definately be you...
lol . . . funny how defensive some people can get when their perceived "power" is threatened. Don't worry Bubba, I'm sure they'll let you be a channel admin at the new IRC server. rofl, pathetic.
BUBBALOU, if anyone doesn't return, it's because you and STRESSTEST kick and ban people left and right and show partiality to your friends (and girls =P). One good reason why Descent 3 chat on PXO.NET was better than "#descent (formerly #descent3)" on Shadowfire is because it was not operated and unmoderated, and people didn't get kicked or banned. If someone is supposedly talking out of turn (or too much), then each person can ignore him instead of some corrupt operator kicking or banning him (This includes you, Honest Bob! =P)

And, Kunck, it's not cool to call people pathetic; but what you said doesn't mean much considering the fact that you're a cadet and have only made one post. =P I sense an alias. :)

I mean no offense to any of you, and I have nothing personal against any of you (obviously, since I don't know any of you), but I'm telling the truth.

The bottom line is that absolute power corrupts absolutely! =P ^_~
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

kicks are done as a lark.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Not on #Descent3 on GameSurge they're not.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Another very good reason to use it.. :mrgreen:
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i kick ferno daily. sometimes i join just to kick him and then i leave. :P
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

You can now get to #Descent3 on irc.gamesurge.net here: http://www.suncho.com/chat/
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re: #Descent3 on Gamesurge

Post by Suncho »

You'll start with a name like Default39. Type the name you want in the box to the lower right.
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

This is great. hope we can get some more ppl to get into d3.

:D
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Kunck <~SolidAir wrote: rofl, pathetic.
NEO (Samus, Ling_ling, Awakened One, etc\etc dbb alias) you know I only kick you!

Plus if what you say is true, then by that right Ace would have been banned on the first day!

And BTW @ (OPS) have gone to Server_Ops and DT3L Captains once they register with the NickServ!
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

bet51987 wrote:I rather use that time to kill someone. :wink:
Including me?
BfDiDDy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BfDiDDy »

Bubba, this isn't a contest between channels. Go $h!t on another thread.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

game surge is an overall better route to take, and should have been taken back when it was gamesnet. not having it there to begin with probably lost alot of potential players. thousands of people see that master list every day, and if a few of them go "hey cool! descent!" thats more than will happen on shadowfire. i personally think suncho needs to give it up, but i'd like to see him succeed and this is probably his best hope.
BfDiDDy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BfDiDDy »

you can now chat on #Descent3 from any web browser

www.descentchat.com