I was waiting for it.....

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

I was waiting for it.....

Post by callmeslick »

....I knew that eventually someone would be stupid enough to suggest that gun control made the ISIS attacks in Paris so horrible.
And, Donald Trump is that person. More confirmation as to why the bulk of the nation views him as a joke and why he trails the 3 adults on TV last night by 10 or more points(even O Malley)
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: I was waiting for it.....

Post by woodchip »

Where's the dead horse gif?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You do understand woody, that most people, even in the U.S., don't carry their guns into a theater or a concert, or are even allowed to carry their guns into most concerts?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

TC, it all depends on seating capacity...at least here in MI. And not all the French attacks were at large venues.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:TC, it all depends on seating capacity...at least here in MI. And not all the French attacks were at large venues.
true, many victims were killed in walk-by shootings from the sidewalk into restaurants. Now, I may be an outlier here, but when the wife and I are at a fine dining establishment, I don't plan on sitting lookout, weapon at the ready. Moreover, I have never seen anyone else dine like that, although I'm certain that somewhere in Texas or Michigan they do. Thus, arming diners serves no purpose, when the shooters open up outside.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Speaking of stupid, one of the news anchors suggested a causal link between refugees and the incident in Paris by mentioning that one of the attackers had a syrian passport.

I just thought: if they had a passport, how are they a refugee? because last I checked, refugees don't usually carry passports.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

sometimes refugees carry passports. If it happens to be one of the things you stuffed in the one suitcase you fled with...
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

That still takes planning.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

That's also assuming that these people ever had/needed a passport in the first place. Hell, I've managed to go a solid 30 years of my life without ever getting one.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote: Moreover, I have never seen anyone else dine like that, although I'm certain that somewhere in Texas or Michigan they do. Thus, arming diners serves no purpose, when the shooters open up outside.
If the other diners were carrying concealed you would never know they were. So your statement of never seen anyone dine like that is another ignorant statement on your part.

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Ferno wrote:That still takes planning.
You act like the migrants just up and fled on a moments notice. If they were part of ISIS they would of planned such things.

Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Top Gun wrote:That's also assuming that these people ever had/needed a passport in the first place. Hell, I've managed to go a solid 30 years of my life without ever getting one.
And there are only two ways of getting a passport. Either through the consulate/immigration office in the country where they're from, or from a counterfeiter. Both ways of which would require aforethought and would happen weeks, if not months ahead of time.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

but there's no possible way any ordinary people might have already had a passport, and decided to stuff it into the one bag they had time to pack, right? Refugees would never want to have a document proving where they had fled from, right?
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

No Syrian refugees get to Europe without a lot of planning, hell it probably takes the typical family years just to get up the extortion fee to cross the Mediterranean Sea.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Lothar wrote:but there's no possible way any ordinary people might have already had a passport, and decided to stuff it into the one bag they had time to pack, right? Refugees would never want to have a document proving where they had fled from, right?
That's the thing about being a refugee -- you don't have time to pack. you have to grab what you can carry and get out. Some refugees come over with a backpack, some with grocery bags. Sometimes with just the clothes they're wearing. Items that you can get to in a matter of seconds because that's about as much time as you have before the fighting hits. If you can pack a suitcase with three changes of clothes, a passport and other miscellaneous items in under thirty seconds, you're either the Gordon Ramsay of speed packing, or you had a bag already made up.

In one moment you're carrying on with your life, doing what you do. The next, you're told that in any second, the army's about to hit your town, or there's going to be bombs falling all around you and then you RUN.

I went through a similar exercise when I was in sea cadets -- we were told that there would be a refugee rescue exercise, but we weren't told who the volunteers were until the next morning. So 5 am rolls around and I was 'volunteered' to be a refugee. Lights come on, squad leader comes in screaming: "UP UP UP! THE ENEMY IS INVADING!". Half-asleep, and gathering what I can so I can get on 'the bus', which actually was us walking to the other side of the camp. I think I was able to get a bag, and stuff it with a pair of shorts, my shoes, two pairs of pants and a t-shirt. All my other stuff was in the room. No time to get it. After we got to the meeting point, we were told that we just experienced what refugees go through when their life suddenly goes sideways.

No one gets a twenty four hour advanced notice if they have to flee.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

I don't see what having or not having an ID has to do with being a refugee. If I were forced to leave my home with only what I could carry, a passport seems like a pretty logical thing to include. That is why I keep mine in my emergency bag.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Vander wrote:I don't see what having or not having an ID has to do with being a refugee. If I were forced to leave my home with only what I could carry, a passport seems like a pretty logical thing to include. That is why I keep mine in my emergency bag.
I don't even have a valid passport at present(haven't been abroad since the 1980s), and the vast majority of folks are like me, I would imagine also in the affected regions. So, grabbing ones passport wouldn't be an option in the first place. When I did have a passport, it was kept in my lockbox at the bank, so again, nothing I would be able to grab if I had 24 hours to flee my home for a place far away, were my home turf a militant hellhole.
George Orwell---"1984"
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Sorry, maybe I don't know, Obama is still a President?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 36511.html
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

callmeslick wrote:I don't even have a valid passport at present(haven't been abroad since the 1980s), and the vast majority of folks are like me, I would imagine also in the affected regions. So, grabbing ones passport wouldn't be an option in the first place. When I did have a passport, it was kept in my lockbox at the bank, so again, nothing I would be able to grab if I had 24 hours to flee my home for a place far away, were my home turf a militant hellhole.
If your home turf was a militant hellhole and you had a passport, you wouldn't keep it close? I have a passport because I got to Mexico ever year or two. Rather than keeping it in my desk drawer, I just keep it in my go bag in the closet near my front door. (earthquake country)

I just think having a passport or not has little bearing on whether or not someone is a refugee. It just sounds like absurd speculation one often hears when listening to talking heads during breaking news events.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Vander wrote:I don't see what having or not having an ID has to do with being a refugee. If I were forced to leave my home with only what I could carry, a passport seems like a pretty logical thing to include. That is why I keep mine in my emergency bag.
I'd like to ask that very same question to the news anchor, and this reinforces my point.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Ferno wrote:
Lothar wrote:but there's no possible way any ordinary people might have already had a passport, and decided to stuff it into the one bag they had time to pack, right? Refugees would never want to have a document proving where they had fled from, right?
That's the thing about being a refugee -- you don't have time to pack. you have to grab what you can carry and get out. Some refugees come over with a backpack, some with grocery bags. Sometimes with just the clothes they're wearing. Items that you can get to in a matter of seconds because that's about as much time as you have before the fighting hits. If you can pack a suitcase with three changes of clothes, a passport and other miscellaneous items in under thirty seconds, you're either the Gordon Ramsay of speed packing, or you had a bag already made up.

In one moment you're carrying on with your life, doing what you do. The next, you're told that in any second, the army's about to hit your town, or there's going to be bombs falling all around you and then you RUN.

I went through a similar exercise when I was in sea cadets -- we were told that there would be a refugee rescue exercise, but we weren't told who the volunteers were until the next morning. So 5 am rolls around and I was 'volunteered' to be a refugee. Lights come on, squad leader comes in screaming: "UP UP UP! THE ENEMY IS INVADING!". Half-asleep, and gathering what I can so I can get on 'the bus', which actually was us walking to the other side of the camp. I think I was able to get a bag, and stuff it with a pair of shorts, my shoes, two pairs of pants and a t-shirt. All my other stuff was in the room. No time to get it. After we got to the meeting point, we were told that we just experienced what refugees go through when their life suddenly goes sideways.

No one gets a twenty four hour advanced notice if they have to flee.
My passport is on the shelf that makes up the head of my bed not too far away from my glasses, if I lived in a place where I might have to grab whatever I could on the way to the door and the border, I would not fail to include the passport in what I got out with me. Or what, do you keep your passport locked in some safe in the dungeon?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Krom wrote:My passport is on the shelf that makes up the head of my bed not too far away from my glasses, if I lived in a place where I might have to grab whatever I could on the way to the door and the border, I would not fail to include the passport in what I got out with me. Or what, do you keep your passport locked in some safe in the dungeon?

Do a lot of travelling, huh? My passport is stored in the same place as the rest of my paperwork.

Anyways, the point is - trying to equate a syrian passport with a refugee as a link to DAESH is insulting at best, and prejudiced at worst; and has no basis in reality.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

I'm going out on a limb here and say that the prevalence of passports is higher where countries are smaller and share many borders. Sound reasonable?

Also, I think the latest speculation on the Syrian passport in the Paris bombing is a fake from Turkey, though I'm not sure how that ties together.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Reports are suggesting the person with the passport passed through greece in early october, according to the matching fingerprints on record. That's about a month prior to what happened in Paris. So there's no possible way he was a refugee.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... -refugees/