guess the 2016 election game

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

guess the 2016 election game

Post by Krom »

Think you know who the next US President will be? Then place a bet on it; the currency is your account. Simply post who you think will win and an interval of time or a specific date. If you guess wrong, your account gets banned for the amount of time you specify. If you guess correctly, you and the other correct people will be allowed to collectively choose and bestow a custom rank and image upon the losers for the average of the time bet by the winning group which appears directly under their usernames in the forum (the more you bet collectively, the longer the losers have to suffer whatever horrible rank and image is chosen). Betting ends Monday November 7th at 23:59:59 Eastern Time. The minimum bet is 2 weeks, the maximum bet is 4 years, but the longer the bet the more confidence you are indicating.

Bans will be administered some time after the election results are finalized with sufficient confidence, maybe a week, maybe the next day, it'll be a surprise. The custom rank/title is subject to typical avatar size and content restrictions and will go into effect after the winning group chooses one by popular vote.

Have fun.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: guess the 2016 election game

Post by vision »

Can I be banned from only this sub-forum? Believe it or not I'm here because of a video game, not E&C. I'll bet the maximum possible if I can still visit the other forums!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I thought about that, but its too open for abuse (they could just post crap in the cafe/nhb/etc that I'd be chasing around forever). Although I could probably be persuaded to lower the minimum to 1 week if enough people request it.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

What about people that don't want EITHER candidate to win? :P

I'm certainly not placing any 'bets.' (Besides, where's the reward eh?)
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Nightshade wrote:What about people that don't want EITHER candidate to win? :P

I'm certainly not placing any 'bets.' (Besides, where's the reward eh?)
Picking a embarrassing rank/title for the losers and being right about something in politics for the first time in your entire life? Did you not read the first post?

Also naming a candidate in your guess is not the same as voting for or supporting said candidate, so you can say so and so will win even if you wouldn't ever vote for them.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Krom wrote: Picking a embarrassing rank/title for the losers and being right about something in politics for the first time in your entire life? Did you not read the first post?

Also naming a candidate in your guess is not the same as voting for or supporting said candidate, so you can say so and so will win even if you wouldn't ever vote for them.
Everything is so up in the air now, there is no way I could make any kind of prediction other than- we're all screwed. :P

No bets from me Krom. I really wonder if you'll get anyone else to bet anything at all. LOL
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

You've only been making a prediction regularly in practically every topic you start for the last year and a half, just you refuse to when you might have to take a two week vacation from the board if you are wrong. What a freakin wuss.

Ok, change of rules, winner gets to pick a funny custom rank title for nightshade! ;)
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Krom wrote:You've only been making a prediction regularly in practically every topic you start for the last year and a half, just you refuse to when you might have to take a two week vacation from the board if you are wrong. What a freakin wuss.

Ok, change of rules, winner gets to pick a funny custom rank title for nightshade! ;)
:P

I would have predicted Clinton to be elected up until the last few weeks. Now, I'm not so sure. It's that muddled now.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

And anyone who has a post within any topic on the first page of the E&C index, but refuses to make a guess is going to get a funny custom title from me for a couple weeks. :P j/k
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Krom wrote:I thought about that, but its too open for abuse...
Ah Ok. I'll bet anyway.

If Hillary Clinton does not win you can ban me until the day after the inauguration.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Current tally:
vision: Hillary - Until Saturday, January 21st 2017
Nightshade: refuses to guess - loses by default, two weeks or until the giant meteor falls, whichever comes first
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

so, everyone refusing to play gets docked two weeks? Wow. I've obviously said Clinton from the get-go and am not about to change now. The whole concept of betting account time is, um, different......I mean, I get the cost of losing but what is the prize for being right?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

I'm not going to ban people for not guessing, but I'm not going to let a sniveling little wuss off free either. I'll probably just make his username show hot pink for a couple weeks or some equally silly little thing.

And its two weeks off from being able to post on the DBB, that really shouldn't bother anyone. Might as well be a vacation!

Make a guess and laugh at the outcome. If you win, you get to poke silly fun at people who didn't guess correctly and maybe pin a funny avatar on them for a while. If you lose, you will have an excuse to not stick around and listen to their gloating for a while.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

It's too close Krom. Give us a break. Not only do we end up with a crappy president either way, we either lose our access here for a certain amount of time or get admin pranked. No win situations suck too. Me thinks perhaps you're working on either getting a 2 week minimum vacation from all of us or maybe you're trying to toss out a little wrath just for the hell of it. Are we getting that obnoxious? :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Do you have to ask? ;)

A different forum I visit where stuff like avatars and titles cost money had a similar game this spring where you could bet some time being banned in exchange for a chance to win a free avatar certificate (which can also be used to give someone else an avatar, insulting or otherwise), and it was actually pretty fun. I didn't win and ended up being banned for the maximum one week but I have no regrets.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Krom wrote:And its two weeks off from being able to post on the DBB, that really shouldn't bother anyone. Might as well be a vacation!
I was going to suggest that zero time off be the punishment for the losers. Force them to post about anything but politics.....
Make a guess and laugh at the outcome. If you win, you get to poke silly fun at people who didn't guess correctly and maybe pin a funny avatar on them for a while. If you lose, you will have an excuse to not stick around and listen to their gloating for a while.
as I said, I'm pretty much wedded to the Clinton selection. Changing it now would be a lousy bet and inconsistent to boot!
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Trump wins
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Current tally:
Nightshade: refuses to guess - loses by default, has to post a selfy from a mosque
tunnelcat: refuses to guess - loses by default, has to post a selfy with George W. Bush
callmeslick: Hillary - Two weeks?
woodchip: Trump - Two weeks?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Is getting a break the prize for being right, or the punishment for being wrong? :wink:
George Orwell---"1984"
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

I donno, is a two week ban from this place really a punishment? :P

Remember, if you get it right, you get a chance to pin a funny avatar on woodchip (and possibly tunnelcat and nightshade as well) for a few weeks. :P

But if woodchip gets it right, he gets to pin a funny avatar on you and vision for a couple weeks. :P
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Geez, slick was ready to donate money against this election but won't risk taking a couple days off from bombing this site with click-bait? I am disappointed!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

I know right, it isn't like I'll even stop you from registering a second account and posting anyway. Some people are getting way too invested in this little sub forum. :P
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

vision wrote:Geez, slick was ready to donate money against this election but won't risk taking a couple days off from bombing this site with click-bait? I am disappointed!
Yeah, damn, it seems, cyberwar is not a fiction.. I guess I'll go on the hunt until everything calms down. Here moose assholes I was nearly killed when I was driving 180 kilometers per hour in the morning.
P.S. Need some fence put or something :roll:
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Like, I would literally wager a lifetime ban from E&C. That's how much I don't care about this sub-forum. I like the rest of DescentBB though!
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

vision wrote:Geez, slick was ready to donate money against this election but won't risk taking a couple days off from bombing this site with click-bait? I am disappointed!
no, you misread me. I was simply joking about whether it was a win or a lose getting the time out.
George Orwell---"1984"
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

haha, Ok man, I'm just teasing you.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Krom wrote:Current tally:
Nightshade: refuses to guess - loses by default, has to post a selfy from a mosque
tunnelcat: refuses to guess - loses by default, has to post a selfy with George W. Bush
Eeeeeek! No bloody way, Krom. I'll bite.

Hillary to win. If I lose, a 1 week ban from Nov. 9 thru Nov 16. Sheesh!

If Trump wins, here's how you can move to Canada and join Ferno.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-m ... da-2016-11
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Nightshade: refuses to guess - loses by default, has to adopt a Syrian refugee
tunnelcat: Hillary - Two weeks.

Damn, on the next update I was gonna say "has to adopt a major health insurance executive" too... :P
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Krom wrote:vision: Hillary - Until Saturday, January 21st 2017
Nightshade: refuses to guess - loses by default, has to adopt a Syrian refugee
tunnelcat: Hillary - Two weeks.

Damn, on the next update I was gonna say "has to adopt a major health insurance executive" too... :P
It's going to be too quiet around here. :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The odds just got better that Hillary will win. :wink:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

hell, I offered odds....for months on end, and never got a taker. Her odds have ALWAYS been good, there's just a screaming desire for the media to cash in one last time over this one, and damned if they weren't going to run with it.
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Hilliary.

If I lose, I will go two months.

If I win, the losers will get some very interesting choices from me.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

callmeslick wrote:hell, I offered odds....for months on end, and never got a taker. Her odds have ALWAYS been good, there's just a screaming desire for the media to cash in one last time over this one, and damned if they weren't going to run with it.
Democrats have two huge states thanks to the drones that vote for them in California and New York. They always have an edge to begin with regardless of who runs against them.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Nightshade wrote:...thanks to the drones that vote for them in California...
You mean Silicon Valley?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Nightshade wrote:
callmeslick wrote:hell, I offered odds....for months on end, and never got a taker. Her odds have ALWAYS been good, there's just a screaming desire for the media to cash in one last time over this one, and damned if they weren't going to run with it.
Democrats have two huge states thanks to the drones that vote for them in California and New York. They always have an edge to begin with regardless of who runs against them.
both sides have their automatics. Don't whine about reality, although it must be rough facing reality some days when it's so darned....liberal, huh?
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

And the Republicans have the entire middle of the country, the Southern states and the Rust Belt. Shows you how bad Trump is if any of those even slightly turn blue this time.
BlueFlames
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BlueFlames »

[/lurk]

I'm on board with this.

Hillary Clinton - 3.5 years (Go big or go home.)

Is there a bonus for calling all of the state races correctly? :mrgreen:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

BlueFlames wrote: Is there a bonus for calling all of the state races correctly? :mrgreen:
bonus? You pull that off, you might land a job at Fox or something......... :wink:
George Orwell---"1984"
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Alright. I'll stick to my original prediction.

Clinton wins. I wager the two weeks. :P

http://descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22769