More modding questions + levels to playtest

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
worldoffood
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

More modding questions + levels to playtest

Post by worldoffood »

Hey everyone! It's been a while, but my short campaign is pretty far along. Now I need to start polishing the levels and getting everything in the same place. My main question is how to get all these separate level sessions into the same HOG file and properly name everything. I'm also trying to set up a secret level, and would greatly appreciate being shown how to direct the secret exit portal to the correct level, and vice versa. I'm using DLE and running everything standard through D2X-Rebirth.

I've uploaded the finished levels to my google drive, you can access and play them at your leisure here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Any feedback is great! Is the difficulty right? Did I miss a texture somewhere? Thanks!

My other major issue is the "Corkskrew" (level 4) mission. The engine does not seem to like it, and I can't figure out why. It seems somehow linked to the number of doors/walls, but that makes no sense cuz I've made other levels with far more objects/walls/triggers. Is it possible a wall isn't configured properly? Or it just doesn't like one of the doors? If so I would love to find out which one. I like how that level turned out and would hate to have to scrap important parts of it. The level is in the folder above.

Also, all the hostages still show up tiny, and I have no clue how to fix it. :lol: Not the most important thing.

No idea of the timeline for the rest of the mod. I've got 3 other levels with some substantial work done, so that leaves me 2 or so more to make from scratch. I also plan to do a once over everything and work on making the lighting more dynamic. I would say early next year I'll try to share it.

Thanks to everyone that's helped me thus far! Modding like this is still pretty new to me, so I appreciate any advice I get.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: More modding questions + levels to playtest

Post by LightWolf »

Most level editors have a built-in HOG utility to add levels in. MN2 files are plain text files. I know DLE has a mission editor for the MN2 file (where you configure things like level order, secret levels, etc.), but I prefer notepad since DLE can be a little difficult to work with. If you look at the file for another mission you'll figure out the format pretty quickly. You only need the name, type, num_levels (and level list), and num_secrets (and secret level list).

Note that secret levels in the MN2 will have a comma and a number after the RL2 file - this points to the level you access it from. If you want the secret levels accessible from multiple levels like in Counterstrike, you only list the first level.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter