D2 Anarchy Level: Galax Rebirth (Updated)

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Najarati
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D2 Anarchy Level: Galax Rebirth (Updated)

Post by Najarati »

Hey folks,

It’s finally done! After two years of work, I’ve completed Galax Rebirth, a complete remake of Galax, the very first Anarchy level I ever created for Descent 2 during its heyday. Ultimately, the remake differs significantly from the source material, but some layout elements have carried over from the (laughably amateur) original.

Make no mistake, due to its dimensions and complexity this level is a beast! I had to trim it down several times during the course of its creation because it would cause Descent Rebirth to crash. As such, I’ll likely never create a Descent 2 level of this scope again because it’s incredibly time consuming to work with so many segments and keep them properly textured. Nevertheless, it was a fun challenge to tackle and I’m proud of the result.

Galax Rebirth, as the name implies, is designed with Descent Rebirth in mind and won’t run on the native Descent 2 software (the level has far too many segments). Given its size, I’m honestly not sure how good of an Anarchy level it’ll ultimately be, but it’s intended for eight players (heck, it could probably handle 16 players if such a thing were possible in Descent Rebirth).

You can download the level here: Galax Rebirth

Update: Pointed the link to the Galax Rebirth mission page on the Descent Mission Archive where you can find the latest version for download.

Below are some screenshots to provide you some idea of what’s in store for those who choose to play the level, however, they really don’t do it justice. You need to fly through it (and hopefully compete in it) for the best experience.

Editor View:

Level View:

Galax vs. Galax Rebirth Comparison:

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re: New D2 Anarchy Level: Galax Rebirth

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Looks beautiful. Not sure how it would play multi due to it's size but great job.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Najarati
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Najarati »

Thanks! It was definitely a labor of love. It took me far more time and focus to complete than my previous "rebirth" effort with Omnidoom, another of my old Descent 2 Anarchy levels from back in the day. Galax Rebirth turned out far better than Omnidoom Rebirth in my mind, but yeah, it's big. Probably too big, though I did try to make it easy to get from one end to the other. That said, this isn't even the first time I've remade Galax. I did so towards the end of Descent 2's heyday, but that one has been lost to time, unfortunately. If anyone happens to have it, though, I'd love to have it back.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Wow, that look unbelievable. Top-tier geometry and texturing, and it looks really fun to fly around. Great job! :D
Najarati
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Najarati »

Thank you! It's certainly fun to fly around.
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

8.8k segments! Holy moly I think that's a new record.
Currently working on Descent: The Countdown Level 22 (Ogep'rgs) (Geometry)
Descent: The Countdown
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
Next level to be done: Level 23 (IO Sulphur Refinery)
The grand collection (Only after Descent: The Countdown)
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
Najarati
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Najarati »

Yep! I wasn't kidding when I said this level was a beast. I had to be provided a modified DLE executable (from this very board, in fact) in order to even save the level because it has so many segments.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

This level is MASSIVE. It's frigin gorgeous but I think way to big for even 12 people.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Najarati
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: New D2 Anarchy Level: Galax Rebirth (Updated)

Post by Najarati »

Time to implement 16-player Anarchy in Descent Rebirth. Let's make it happen! On a more serious note, yeah, the level is very large. I got a bit overzealous with the design.

Also, I've uploaded version 1.1 of Galax Rebirth (as of this post) since I found an area in the top-most level where some connected segments with fairly extreme geometry were causing player ships to get caught on seemingly nothing. DLE diagnostics didn't report any issues so I lucked out finding them.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: D2 Anarchy Level: Galax Rebirth (Updated)

Post by LightWolf »

I wonder what would happen if you tried to build a SP level...

It just so happens that D2X-XL gives you 20k segments to play with if you need them, along with a bunch of other features that you can add to your level.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Najarati
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Najarati »

To be honest, I've never had a real interest in building single player levels or campaigns. I've always had more fun building Anarchy levels in which to romp around with friends, although I haven't played Descent 2 Anarchy since the late 90's (testing levels doesn't count). As far as D2X-XL is concerned, even with such a high maximum segment count it's DLE, itself, that's the problem. Once my level starts hitting several thousand segments, DLE begins throwing "Out of Memory" errors when I'm manipulating textures. In the 8,000 segment range, I can resize, rotate, shift, or align textures maybe 20 times before DLE throws an "Out of Memory" error. I'm not sure what this error actually does since it doesn't crash DLE, but I've always closed it afterwards. Towards the end of Galax Rebirth I'd be restarting DLE every couple of minutes when I'm doing heavy texture manipulation. Very tedious.

On a side note, I had to re-upload Galax Rebirth 1.1 on the sly because I accidentally left some sides with the wrong texture and didn't want to create a new version. For folks who already downloaded the level earlier today, I recommend re-downloading it for a fix to my fix. Sorry about that.
Najarati
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Najarati »

Version 1.2 of Galax Rebirth is now available (download link in the original post). I don't plan on releasing any additional versions after this one unless someone reports something glaringly wrong with the level (size concerns aside) or some new feature is introduced to Descent Rebirth like support for additional players. As for the changes in this version:
  • Added some missing light textures
  • Made some minor texture changes and aesthetic improvements
  • Performed some general texture alignment fixes
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

What an absolute beast of a level! Its scope reminds me of Omnidoom Rebirth. Is that one also by you? I can't remember
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Najarati
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Najarati »

Xfing wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:26 pm What an absolute beast of a level! Its scope reminds me of Omnidoom Rebirth. Is that one also by you? I can't remember
Correct! I also did Omnidoom Rebirth, which was a remake of the original Omnidoom level I made back in the 90's. In fact, I'm considering redoing Omnidoom Rebirth after learning some things with Galax Rebirth. Regardless, Galax Rebirth was definitely a test in patience. I'm glad I was able to finish it because there were multiple times I didn't think I'd complete it.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Najarati wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:48 pm Correct! I also did Omnidoom Rebirth, which was a remake of the original Omnidoom level I made back in the 90's. In fact, I'm considering redoing Omnidoom Rebirth after learning some things with Galax Rebirth. Regardless, Galax Rebirth was definitely a test in patience. I'm glad I was able to finish it because there were multiple times I didn't think I'd complete it.
Well, with this amount of skill in conveying detail, maybe you should do a single player level sometime too? Haha
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6