Texas.

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Texas.

Post by Krom »

What a disaster, entirely self inflicted too.

They wanted to escape federal regulation on the power grid, so they detached from the national grids and built their own so they wouldn't have to obey onerous federal regulations like "your power generation should be winterized so it won't fail during unusual winter storms". And it isn't over by a long shot because now that the power is coming back on all the pipes have frozen and burst so the water systems are collapsing.

Now the FEMA is having to come in and bail them out, which is funded by our tax dollars. I'm happy to oblige because that is our duty as part of society, but going forward I would really appreciate if they take their rabid anti-government obsession...I mean their "rugged individuality" and shove it. They should rejoin the national grid, because had they been connected in the first place the federal regulations they hate would have kept their power on so the disaster wouldn't have happened in the first place and thus the rest of us wouldn't have had to bail their sorry asses out.

Also Cruz; what a ★■◆●ing douche bag, got busted sneaking off to Mexico and threw is own kids under the bus as an excuse. If it really was the kids idea (which I honestly doubt) because they were bored from school being closed, tell them to go volunteer and help the needy in their communities instead of going on a vacation in Cancún, Spoiled Brats.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re: Texas.

Post by CDN_Merlin »

This reminds me of the debacle that is Quebec wanting to separate from Canada but keep all the benefits.

Texas should have to pay for assistance in getting the grid up and going since THEY wanted it that way. Reap what you sow.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Give me liberty or give me a frozen death! They made their bed during the Civil War and now they can sleep in it, frozen wet sheets and all. In fact, their grid even has 3 ties to the Mexican grid. I say, if you hate the Federal Government, join Mexico and let them bail out your cold, starving asses. This is why we have a "United Sates of America" to help each other when the crap hits the fan. But Republicans don't like the idea of communal society contributing and helping each other, until of course there's a disaster that effects them. Then their hands of need come calling. Texas made their choice long ago, so they can now live with it. And I sincerely hope this little episode tanks Ted Cruz's career as a Senator. Sleezebag.

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Texp ... 953760.php
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Especially with Abbott opening everything up, and dropping any masking requirements. It's almost like they want all their constituents dead or dying?
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

MD-2389 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:34 pmIt's almost like they want all their constituents dead or dying?
They do. COVID-19 affects poor people more than people who are well off financially, and poor people generally vote Democratic. It's basically a numbers game to them for re-election. They can kill a "safe" number of their supporters and as long as they kill more of the opposition it's a total win for them. See also: Politicide
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Texan here. I lost power for about 30 hours in relatively t-shirt weather (40 degrees during the day?). Yeah, I wasn't surprised by how Texas handled the cold. I can't say much about ERCOT or our power plants that you already haven't heard.

Fast forward to now, I see a lot of houses in my neighborhood getting solar panels. They're just popping up everywhere on people's roofs. Essentially, what people are doing is buying enough solar backup and panels to run almost completely without the grid working.

The whole time we never got snow, so I think the issues people had with blocked panels aren't something we really have to worry about.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉