ROLL CALL! - Let's Get Weekends Goin'!

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Freakster90
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

ROLL CALL! - Let's Get Weekends Goin'!

Post by Freakster90 »

I've noticed a trend of "back in the good days" conversations and this kinda upsets me.

Sure! There's no official support for this game anymore, and sure, it's dying and yeah, some players aren't among the ranks anymore for one reason or the next. But why do the good days have to stay "back then"?

We still got the game. We still got the maps. And I've friends who are interested in the game, but stay away due to zero player count.

Why don't we get NEW good days then? Start weekend games. Come up with times and servers to meet up on?

I remember it was 10 or 11 years ago where there'd be a CTF game seemingly every weekend. Why not reboot something like that?
You can find me in-game as UsedDentalFloss

Just a wee bit rusty... Just... Rusty...

Played in the good old days as Freakster, with my uncle Dorkster.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: ROLL CALL! - Let's Get Weekends Goin'!

Post by Nosferatu »

I wouldn't mind both hosting and participating.

It would give me a chance to really test out my new more powerful cable internet.

One of my servers is always a CTF. Its currently running Aquarius if that is OK, or please suggest a map.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

My wrists can't handle multi anymore
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

CDN_Merlin wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:23 am My wrists can't handle multi anymore
Try mouse. :P
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

No thank you
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Your loss :)
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

Freakster90 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:40 pm I've noticed a trend of "back in the good days" conversations and this kinda upsets me.

Sure! There's no official support for this game anymore, and sure, it's dying and yeah, some players aren't among the ranks anymore for one reason or the next. But why do the good days have to stay "back then"?

We still got the game. We still got the maps. And I've friends who are interested in the game, but stay away due to zero player count.

Why don't we get NEW good days then? Start weekend games. Come up with times and servers to meet up on?

I remember it was 10 or 11 years ago where there'd be a CTF game seemingly every weekend. Why not reboot something like that?
I'm up for a game a lot of the time Freakster. I'm retired now and the kids are all out of the house, so I'm pretty flexible. I'm in Arizona, so 3'ish hours different from you.

I usually jump in a lot of mornings on Checkor's Ascent server as Grizz, and a pilot who plays as Old Fellow jumps in a lot of the time.

I'm always game to change to a different server, the BOZ bots give me something to do while waiting.

There's still a small handful who float in and out of games. if we could get it coordinated, we could maybe get some sizable games going again.

MacBlaster still enjoys a game, as does Animosity.
Freakster90
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Freakster90 »

grizz wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:41 pm There's still a small handful who float in and out of games. if we could get it coordinated, we could maybe get some sizable games going again.
Exactly why I made this post! I figured we could do a Rollcall, who'd wanna play on the weekends? And try to coordinate times from there. You know: Stage 1 get people. Stage 2: Coordinate. Then the final stage would be to actually play. Granted... By now my black pyro probably has seen better days... You know... Lots of rust and all. But I'm sure I could get back into the swing of things easy enough...

My problem is I can't seem to get even a single kill on the BOZ bots unless I catch one napping XD

But I guess they'll do good for re-gaining my skills again until we can pull together a game. Out of all the classic games I've played, this is one that I genuinely miss.

You can find me in-game as UsedDentalFloss or some variant of that... Can't recall the exact name off the top of my head.
You can find me in-game as UsedDentalFloss

Just a wee bit rusty... Just... Rusty...

Played in the good old days as Freakster, with my uncle Dorkster.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Just in case I were to want to join in, I would like to point out I have a weird weekend. (Friday - Saturday)

I also work second shift so any other day, I would be available after (11:30pm eastern)
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

I've been afk for a couple of weeks while moving, but I play several times a week. I usually start in the BOZ server and see if someone joins, but enjoy hopping in other levels. Myself and a pilot named OldFellow tend to play in the morning, 9'ish Arizona time where I am, noon EST. He's in Europe, so it's evening for him.
I can usually jump in later in the day if someone wants. I see Arion and TEST in sometimes then. I'm almost always in as Grizz.
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

So the weekend's here.. Anyone want to try and get something coordinated?
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

I haven't been around in a while because I have a bit of a gout flareup in my left foot and just haven't felt like playing.

I get that from time to time. Eventually it clears up if I stay hydrated.