Vid Card

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Vid Card

Post by woodchip »

So I got 2 comp., one Im setting up to handle photography editing and the other for all else. Swapped vid cards and put the Radeon 480 in the photog comp. and put the older 7850 in the general use comp.. The photog comp. works fine, the gen.use has a weird issue. Comp. come on, then shuts itself off. Comes on, shuts off until I turn comp.off. Took it in to local repair shop and they found if they pull the vid. card and replace it with another, comp works fine, however if they put problem vid card in a different comp. it works fine also. Any suggestions?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Vid Card

Post by Krom »

Either the PSU can't handle it, or the BIOS can't handle it (check for updated BIOS).
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

How many watts is your power supply rated for woody?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Both comp. have 500 watt psu's and it worked in other one. The 480 is a newer vid card so the comp it came from (where the non-working vid is) should have a bios that can handle it?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You might want to read this. Supposedly your 500W power supply is sufficient, but your vid card is not as power efficient as AMD claims. Have you tried a different graphics driver on the affected system?

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/am ... 616-9.html

As for the BIOS, maybe you can tell Krom what version you're running from what system manufacturer. I've already had to update 2 of my comps BIOS versions just to get TPMS working for Win 11. Unless I can get a TPMS chip for my 3rd system, it's going to have to be retired (thank you Microsquish).
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

TC, thanks. Yes the repair shop put different vid card in and it worked. Shop guy is perplexed and I dealt with theses guys since the 90's. i'll ask if he tested psu for full 500w out put. Thanks for link

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

lokked at linkand Tom's is referencing the 480 which is working. It's the 7850 which is the problem vid card.

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Oops. Try looking through these links then, even though the first deals with Win 7. Take a look at post #15 on page 2 and look at the two different connectors found on the same model card. Might be your issue.

https://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-car ... creen.html

This user ran into an issue with his card not working with AMD's newer drivers. You can try rolling back to an earlier driver to see if the card accepts it.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-H ... -p/3930544

There is a nice piece of free software you can use to remove all traces of older drivers to avoid messy old leftover driver conflicts. I actually had to use it once. I don't know if AMD is good about cleaning up after itself with a new or old driver installs, but Nvidia's gotten a lot better at cleaning up previous driver installs. Try using DDU to clean out all traces of previously installed graphics drivers using this software with the working card. Follow the instructions carefully, shut down the system, swap in the 7850, boot up (if it does) and install a driver that previously worked.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

If all else fails, it's probably a BIOS issue, especially if it's a newer UFEI BIOS and you're trying to install an older AMD card. Krom's more knowledgeable in this department than I am.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

If the issue is driver related, you may want to try nuking your graphics driver, and then install the current version for your card.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/di ... nload.html

This is a fantastic tool that eradicates any traces of your graphics (and audio) drivers, like they were never installed. I highly recommend running this tool in Safe mode for it to work properly, as Safe mode only loads the basic VGA driver for windows to function.

This video is slightly off topic, but gives you a walkthrough on how to use DDU, and a simple way to get into safe mode for Windows 10.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The problem is the computer won't even turn on with the other video card in it, DDU means nothing if it isn't even starting to boot the OS.