Bad Shape

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Bad Shape

Post by woodchip »

Interesting article in Eurasian Times about readiness of USAF:
From its founding to the end of the Cold War, the USAF prioritized building a cadre of exceptional aviators. While selection to the flight school was performance-based, the evaluation of excellence continued throughout the training and career of the aviator.

“Washout rates for flight schools exceeded 20 percent in the 1980s, and the bar was high for every successive school beyond. But the drive for efficiencies in the 1990s and the initiative to improve racial diversity in the 2020s has made a mockery of the screening process.
In 2021, just 0.27 percent of flight school candidates were eliminated because of performance. Screening beyond flight school is effectively non-existent, even for promotions,” notes Venable.
Underlining the laxity with promotion, he adds that every Air Force captain without legal or ethical issues has been promoted to Major since 2017, which “means even poor performers graduate and advance.”
https://www.eurasiantimes.com/76-years- ... bad-shape/
It is said that "Go woke, Go broke" applies to business, but as to the military and wokism, it can be said, "Go woke, Become dead". Enjoy the Leftist liberal philosophy.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: Bad Shape

Post by Vander »

This is the evidence you've provided that the air force as gone "woke:" (from the article's source's sources)
Field Grade Officer Requirements and Promotion Opportunity

One of the immediate needs senior leaders focused on was the service’s requirement for growing and developing enough field-grade officers to meet mission demands. At 92 percent, the Air Force is currently undermanned in Line of the Air Force field-grade officers, with non-rated field-grade officers manned at 74 percent.

As such, beginning December 2017, the pool of line officers considered for promotion to major will have a 100 percent promotion opportunity. Promotion opportunity rates are typically adjusted as required to meet the needs of the Air Force.

"With this change, captains whose conduct has been exemplary can expect to be promoted to major," said Secretary of the Air Force Heather Wilson. "We've been letting capable people leave the service and we need them."

Promotion Recommendation Forms will only be required for officers who receive a "Promote" recommendation and have derogatory information such as an Article 15, court-martial, referral report, or letter of reprimand filed in their Officer Selection Record, as well as for officers with a "Do Not Promote" recommendation.

"I fully trust raters and senior raters to continue to ensure the Air Force's high standards of conduct," said Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein.
And
Prior flying experience a barrier to qualification

Prior flying experience, the second largest component of an applicant’s PCSM score, particularly poses a socioeconomic barrier to candidates without access to or financial means to pay for flying lessons. To address this barrier, the Air Force now considers only a candidate’s initial 60 flight hours when scoring a candidate.

“There is no evidence that more than 61 hours of flight experience poses a significant benefit to pilot training success,” said Dr. Katie Gunther, chief of strategic research and assessment at the Air Force Personnel Center. “The probability of success in flight training increases substantially from 0 hours to 60 hours, then relatively plateaus.”

The working group also found that removing the higher ranges of flight hours as part of the PCSM score would result in a more-diverse applicant pool. According to the Validation of the Pilot Candidate Selection Method 2020 report prepared by the AFPC Strategic Research and Assessment branch, removing the four highest ranges of flight hour codes would have resulted in 69 more Hispanic, 47 more female, and 26 more Black/African-American qualified applicants over a 12-year period.

“Flying lessons are expensive and could potentially exclude qualified candidates from becoming pilots in the Air Force due to limited income or lack of opportunities,” said Brig. Gen. Brenda Cartier, AETC’s Director of Operations and Communications and the pilot selection process working group’s overall lead. “In order to ensure we do not eliminate otherwise qualified candidates, flight programs have been implemented at both the United States Air Force Academy and the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps. Cadets receive free ground and flight training, and an opportunity to gain critical skills and directly improve their competitiveness for pilot selection boards.”
You're insinuating that diversity is harming capability, but it looks to me like retaining capability is demanding diversity.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Didn't you hear Vander? From woody's subtext, the military needs to recruit ONLY white, Christian heterosexual males with hair on their chests and Templar Cross tattoos/Dead Head Skulls on their biceps and everyone else need not apply. That "requirement" pretty much narrows the field and the numbers of good candidates by default.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Also, who says "Go woke, Go broke" applies to business?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Vander wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:57 pm This is the evidence you've provided that the air force as gone "woke:" (from the article's source's sources)
Field Grade Officer Requirements and Promotion Opportunity

One of the immediate needs senior leaders focused on was the service’s requirement for growing and developing enough field-grade officers to meet mission demands. At 92 percent, the Air Force is currently undermanned in Line of the Air Force field-grade officers, with non-rated field-grade officers manned at 74 percent.

As such, beginning December 2017, the pool of line officers considered for promotion to major will have a 100 percent promotion opportunity. Promotion opportunity rates are typically adjusted as required to meet the needs of the Air Force.

"With this change, captains whose conduct has been exemplary can expect to be promoted to major," said Secretary of the Air Force Heather Wilson. "We've been letting capable people leave the service and we need them."

Promotion Recommendation Forms will only be required for officers who receive a "Promote" recommendation and have derogatory information such as an Article 15, court-martial, referral report, or letter of reprimand filed in their Officer Selection Record, as well as for officers with a "Do Not Promote" recommendation.

"I fully trust raters and senior raters to continue to ensure the Air Force's high standards of conduct," said Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein.
And
Prior flying experience a barrier to qualification

Prior flying experience, the second largest component of an applicant’s PCSM score, particularly poses a socioeconomic barrier to candidates without access to or financial means to pay for flying lessons. To address this barrier, the Air Force now considers only a candidate’s initial 60 flight hours when scoring a candidate.

“There is no evidence that more than 61 hours of flight experience poses a significant benefit to pilot training success,” said Dr. Katie Gunther, chief of strategic research and assessment at the Air Force Personnel Center. “The probability of success in flight training increases substantially from 0 hours to 60 hours, then relatively plateaus.”

The working group also found that removing the higher ranges of flight hours as part of the PCSM score would result in a more-diverse applicant pool. According to the Validation of the Pilot Candidate Selection Method 2020 report prepared by the AFPC Strategic Research and Assessment branch, removing the four highest ranges of flight hour codes would have resulted in 69 more Hispanic, 47 more female, and 26 more Black/African-American qualified applicants over a 12-year period.

“Flying lessons are expensive and could potentially exclude qualified candidates from becoming pilots in the Air Force due to limited income or lack of opportunities,” said Brig. Gen. Brenda Cartier, AETC’s Director of Operations and Communications and the pilot selection process working group’s overall lead. “In order to ensure we do not eliminate otherwise qualified candidates, flight programs have been implemented at both the United States Air Force Academy and the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps. Cadets receive free ground and flight training, and an opportunity to gain critical skills and directly improve their competitiveness for pilot selection boards.”
You're insinuating that diversity is harming capability, but it looks to me like retaining capability is demanding diversity.
I insinuate nothing. USAF recruitment is down by 30%, so is Army. Only one not down is the USMC
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Tunnelcat wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:49 pm Didn't you hear Vander? From woody's subtext, the military needs to recruit ONLY white, Christian heterosexual males with hair on their chests and Templar Cross tattoos/Dead Head Skulls on their biceps and everyone else need not apply. That "requirement" pretty much narrows the field and the numbers of good candidates by default.
Oh grow up TC

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Vander wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:17 pm Also, who says "Go woke, Go broke" applies to business?
Thats a common phrase I see in lotsa places. Annheusier Busch has lost billions due to Mulveny (sp) on a can campaign and still losing money. Disney stock value has dropped by over half. Target has lost 15 billion due to its woke campaign. You got a company that went woke and it's profits and stock value has increased?

vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:21 pmI insinuate nothing. USAF recruitment is down by 30%, so is Army. Only one not down is the USMC
After closely following the war in Ukraine, I don't think recruitment numbers are as important as you might think. The nature of war has changed dramatically. It's all robots now.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

vision wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:36 pm
woodchip wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:21 pmI insinuate nothing. USAF recruitment is down by 30%, so is Army. Only one not down is the USMC
After closely following the war in Ukraine, I don't think recruitment numbers are as important as you might think. The nature of war has changed dramatically. It's all robots now.
To a point I agree with you. At one time it was said that Air power would defeat a enemy. Britain in WW2 and North Vietnam proved that wrong. Still will take troops on the ground to clear out a enemy...Hamas a case in point.

Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

woodchip wrote:I insinuate nothing. USAF recruitment is down by 30%, so is Army.
You insinuate that "wokism" is the cause, and it's a moronic insinuation because the evidence you've provided describes steps taken to address recruitment and staffing shortfalls.
Thats a common phrase I see in lotsa places.
No doubt. I'd suggest avoiding such places since they're filling your head with moronic, illogical nonsense.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

As moronic as "From the river to the sea" is going to produce anything rational. Besides I mentioned three companies that are losing money. You have yet to name 1 company that has increased it's market share.

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Uhmmm, like basically every company out there? You think those three are the only companies that have made some efforts to increase their diversity and inclusiveness? Are you even living on the same planet as the rest of us?

It would probably be easier to list the companies that haven't "gone woke" at this point, and the vast majority of them are making just as much money as they were before if not more.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Krom wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:15 pm Uhmmm, like basically every company out there? You think those three are the only companies that have made some efforts to increase their diversity and inclusiveness? Are you even living on the same planet as the rest of us?
There you go again Krom, trying to put words in my post. No one said "all companies". And no one cares about their D.E & I policies. Only when they think they can foist certain ideologies on their customers that people react and shop elsewhere. I wonder at your reading comprehension

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Nvidia has a DEI department and their stock price has increased 1172% in the last 5 years.
AMD has a DEI department and their stock price has increased 545% in the last 5 years.

You are full of ★■◆● and your stock price has plummeted in the last 5 years.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:22 pm
Tunnelcat wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:49 pm Didn't you hear Vander? From woody's subtext, the military needs to recruit ONLY white, Christian heterosexual males with hair on their chests and Templar Cross tattoos/Dead Head Skulls on their biceps and everyone else need not apply. That "requirement" pretty much narrows the field and the numbers of good candidates by default.
Oh grow up TC
★■◆● you. You're the one sitting here decrying "wokeism" in the military as the reason for our nation's lack of good officers being recruited. Your insinuation is that good people are being passed over for hoards of bad people because of race or some other ethnic quota requirements. You do realize that there are very good people who are not white Christian jackasses and if the military wasn't a cesspool of racism and sexism, these good people would join the military and fill the ranks? The only people I know who have a stick up their ass about "wokeism" are white fake Christian conservatives. As a white male, do you disagree with this definition for being woke? Oh for ★■◆●'s sake, of course you do. :roll:

"Awareness of unfairness in the treatment of others not only makes the world a better place and us better people, it creates a culture in which the marginalized receive empathy instead of blame."
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

woodchip wrote:As moronic as "From the river to the sea" is going to produce anything rational. Besides I mentioned three companies that are losing money. You have yet to name 1 company that has increased it's market share.
You quoted bits from an article worrying about military readiness, apparently as examples to use to complain about the military being "woke." "Leftist liberal philosophy" supposedly putting us all in danger. I follow the links to the sources, and suggest that rather than evidence of "wokism" harming the military, they are methods to minimize the harm to the military recruitment/retention shortfalls are causing. It seems to me that could be an interesting thing we could discuss. You respond by saying recruitment is down, but not to the crux of my argument. No ★■◆● recruitment is down, the examples very specifically are attempts at mitigating the issues of recruitment and retention shortfalls.

You've asked me if I can name "a company that went woke and it's profits and stock value has increased." I don't even know what you mean by "woke." Apparently DEI, non-discrimination, and harassment policies aren't "woke," as that's all of the Fortune 500. Let's look at your examples. Anheuser-Busch is "woke" for having a trans woman do a spon-con Instagram post for Bud Light. Target is "woke" for attempting to sell clothes to gay people during Pride month. Disney is "woke" because... I'm not really sure. Black mermaid? Is it only an LGBT thing? Or is it racial, too?

How about this, define "woke" so we're all on the same page.

Then maybe you can expand on what you mean by "military and wokism." I mean, is Kid Rock going to start shooting recruitment posters or something?
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Defining "woke" is easy.

The definition is: The ability to understand and respect others sense of well being, humanity and dignity.

aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues

See also: basic empathy.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

No, it is even easier than that these days:
"Anything conservatives don't like."
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

So once again Woody posts an article he didn't read, and draws his own conclusions from it.

As for the definition of "woke", it's the same thing as "SJW" from the last decade, and "PC" from the decade before that: Just pejoratives invented to try to denigrate the idea of treating people fairly and equally, i.e. not being an ★■◆●. Right-wingers have always hated the concept.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I wish people would stop using the term woke altogether. So overused, it's downright annoying.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

TigerRaptor wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:58 pm I wish people would stop using the term woke altogether. So overused, it's downright annoying.
Don't worry, if the pattern holds true they'll come up with another insulting term for 'people who aren't assholes' in the next few years.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

He most certainly didn't want to come out and use a term similar to "affirmative action", because that's what he's really bitching about in a sideways but familar argument concerning military recruitment requirements.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Krom wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:36 pm No, it is even easier than that these days:
"Anything conservatives don't like."
It's easier than even that. "Anything woody doesn't like is woke".
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

The definition of woke should be "A group of people who pollute the environment with copious amounts of smug".
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The only reason for woke even being a thing is because of racists, sexists, bigots, homophobes, antisemites and general intolerant asswipes.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Spidey wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:33 am The definition of woke should be "A group of people who pollute the environment with copious amounts of smug".
If wanting to get rid is bias and inequality in our system is smug, count me in for that smugness, I'll wear it as a badge because everyone benefits, including you and woodmeister.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

No that's not the part of wokness that is smug, but the virtue signaling you just displayed is.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

That ain't virtue signaling. He's not extolling virtues that he's not adhering to.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Virtue signaling carries no requirement to be disingenuous.

You could be the most virtuous person that ever lived and still be very smug about it.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Spidey wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:33 am The definition of woke should be "A group of people who pollute the environment with copious amounts of smug".
Spidey wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:22 pm No that's not the part of wokness that is smug, but the virtue signaling you just displayed is.
So you are just using woke as a substitute for smug, but actual wokeness is OK? Why this Orwellian name change crap? If you don't like how smug us fighting for civil liberties are, just say you don't like smugness. Why use a word the wrong way? Are you daft?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Essentially correct, it's not the concept of social justice I have a problem with, it's all of the nonsense, hypocrisy and Self-righteousness.