How to Fill D3's Servers

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

[TA]One
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

How to Fill D3's Servers

Post by [TA]One »

I have an idea that I brought up in another thread, while discussing another topic. I think the idea got lost in that thread, so Iâ??m posting it here.

----------
Problem:
You join a server and sit there for 5 minutes or more, but no one joins so you give up and leave.

Possible solution:
Players could run an application that allows them to select an empty server, or servers, and have the program automatically monitor the servers until someone joins. It would then beep (or make some kind of sound) when someone joins the server.
-----------

I donâ??t know if my idea is possible. I donâ??t have the programming knowledge, so you programmers out there familiar with IP trackers etc. might be able to tell me.

My idea is that a person could have this application minimized, and be doing other things on their computer while they wait, without having to sit in a server and do nothing.

The other nice thing about this application is that if enough people were using it, all you would have to do is join a server and everyone else monitoring that server would all hear that you joined and would immediately join as well.

If this application could be written, I think it would really help fill many empty servers.

-One
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

I think the main problem is that people don't want to wait and see if...or...they don't want to wait around on an empty server for...

dangit you're right! That'd be a great program to have :)
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

zynic:

and who would join then first? nobody cause all wait that anyone else would do?

hmm - I believe that you just meant to help / do something good but I'd say this wont work...
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Well, I figure that most people don't join servers with levels that have actual CREATIVITY because they know that no one else will join and they'll just sit there. Alone. For a really long time. If anyone else is a desperate for interesting levels to play in, this would be a good program to have because it would at least raise the odds of someone joining a less-played level from nil to at least 5%.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

erm I can't say too much yet but I can tell you that a feature like this will be already inside an upcoming program...
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

i dout that will work. it would be easier to organize a game from chat.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Great idea! Can't wait for your version, Do Checkor
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Kquery can auto refresh a selected server in 5-60s intervals..
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

oh Birdseye - I bet you will and ALL will like that very much but I am not the one who is making it. I am just helping out on ideas, suggestions and betatesting...
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

If you have a good card, Alt-Tab works. I sit in Kata or Anotherbox, or something, and Tab back to chat, and wait. Sometimes I've forgotten I was in the server, other times, I get a 'player join' sound pretty quickly. I played 6 1v1's in Kata one night within the span of 4 hours. I played Anotherbox for a few hours with 3-5 people after sitting alone for only 1/2 hour. That's pretty good!
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

When in-game, alt-tab works perfectly. It's when in the menus are opening screen that alt-tab screws, at least for me.
[TA]One
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [TA]One »

Testi, how are you getting a â??player joinâ?
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

[TA]One wrote: Do_Checkor, you stated that a “feature like this” is going to be in a program someone is currently working on. I’m interested to know just how much like what I’m describing this feature will be.
Yes it WILL be improved: you can mark a server and a sound will inform you of joined players. More I can't tell you by now because the beta release will need about another two weeks...
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

One ... Testi is entering the map within D3 then alt-tabbing to the desktop. He is then free to go about his business in chat or whatever else he is doing while D3 runs hidden. The sound is still available from D3 and the player join sound Testi is getting is coming from the hidden D3 game.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Yea..I still have sound after I Alt-Tab to the desktop. SB Live card. With my sound system, I can hear someone join even if I'm outside..with a leaf blower. :D
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

It does work... I have used progies like that for other games... One in particular would keep checking on full servers for a spot to open up, as well. that would work on veins, heh.
[TA]One
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [TA]One »

I have a SB Audigy 2 sound card, and I canâ??t hear D3 sounds when D3 is minimized. Of the two D3 players Iâ??ve asked, neither of them can hear D3 sounds when D3 is minimized either. So having the ability to monitor even one server is not an option for myself and other D3 players.

Having the ability to monitor one server is better than nothing, and apparently Testi (as well as others) can do this. But if the program can be written as Iâ??ve described, it could allow ALL players to easily and effectively monitor not just one, but as many servers as they want.

Do Checkor, can you tell us who is writing the program you are betatesting and if he has read this thread? Would he be willing to post here and describe what he is doing in relation to what I have described?

Nightmare USA, thanks for posting your words of encouragement. I have the feeling that most reading this thread arenâ??t grasping the concept of how this will work, and how effective this program could be in getting more players playing. (After reading Do Checkorâ??s first post, Iâ??m not sure he is convinced, either.) Also, thanks for bringing up another important feature that this program should have â?? the ability to let you know when a spot opens up in a full server.

Perhaps the program could be written so that full servers donâ??t cause the program to beep if you select them, but only beep when there is an opening.

-One
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

I think it's a stellar idea!
[TA]One
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [TA]One »

Counting just those who have posted here (including myself), the total is up to 5 in favor, 2 in doubt, and who knows where the rest stand on this idea.

Because I thought the potential of the program would be clear to anyone reading this thread, I didnâ??t mention one of its most obvious benefits. This program (again, if it is written) could potentially get many players whoâ??ve stopped playing D3 to start again.

The players Iâ??m referring to are those whoâ??ve posted to the DBB (or mentioned in chat) over the years how no one plays the â??good levelsâ?
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Sounds like a good idea to me. Wouldn't be too horribly hard to do either; I'm not the best at programming, but I can think of an idea as to how it might work...
Deathwinger
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deathwinger »

That's actually a nifty feature in Half Life's Steam program, u can either let steam alert u when the server is has persons or a spot free or just auto join when this happens and leave your previous game.