1 monitor 2 computers

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

1 monitor 2 computers

Post by thewolfe »

1 monitor 2 computers

I have a friend who is purchasing a new computer w/ WinXP on it.

They have an older computer running Win98.

What is the best way to run both computers off of one monitor?
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

A KVM switch. I've been happy with Linksys and IOGEAR. You can also share your keyboard and mouse.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 56322&rd=1
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

If it's really important to only have one monitor, then yes, a KVM switch is the best way to go. But if they have the space, it's not too expensive to get a low-end monitor from a thrift store or even brand new, and be able to use both computers simultaneously.

I don't know what KVM switches go for. A couple quick searches on ebay and pricewatch make me think you can get one for around $20-$25, but others can probably give you better info here.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

PLEASE NOTE: Most KVM switches DO NOT SUPPORT USB - forcing you to downgrade peripherals to PS2. DON'T GET CAUGHT IN THAT TRAP!! GET A USB CAPABLE KVM!!
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Do some allow both USB and PS2?
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

thewolfe wrote:Do some allow both USB and PS2?
yes, there are USB capable KVM switches out there
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Last time I checked, monitors don't use usb cables.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

No, but mice do. And it's kind of pointless if you're going to be using a single monitor not to use a single mouse/keyboard setup.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Have you given consideration to remote desktops - having two computers, connected by an Ethernet cable, and using a program like RealVNC or TightVNC? Basically, one machine will be set up as a VNC server. Your "main" computer would use a VNC client to connect to it. You'll be able to have a window containing the desktop of the other computer while still in the desktop of the current one. Keyboard and mouse inputs are filtered through VNC to the other computer, so there is only need for one set of these.

It's sort of like a very elaborate Telnet... with the ability to manipulate an actual remote desktop as opposed to a command prompt.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

An easier solution would be the usb2ps2 adapter that comes with most usb keyboards/mice nowadays
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

I went through 3 USB KVM switches. Each one killed off the keyboard repeat rate, making my keyboarding in D2 absolutely worthless... just a note. I got fed up with running back to the store and bought a PS2 KVM. I'm using a USB/PS2 without any problems. However, I have read that some mice won't work with the adapters when hooked to a KVM.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i run a KVM and i havent had a single problem from it yet.
[DWL]Punk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [DWL]Punk »

a lot of monitors have 2 VGA slows, (like mine: Dell 22") and a little button on the front that switches from video1, to video2. i hooked up my girlfriends computer to my monitor and it worked fine. though, it is kinda useless imo..
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I use a Belkin 4 port ps2 kvm and Im very happy with it. The best feature is that you can switch computers from the keyboard. scrlk-scrlk-# switched to the comp you want.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Vader wrote:I use a Belkin 4 port ps2 kvm and Im very happy with it. The best feature is that you can switch computers from the keyboard. scrlk-scrlk-# switched to the comp you want.
mine is not a Belkin...its a Cables-To-Go 2Port, and it does that also, if i have CAPS, Num Lock and/or Scroll Lock on either computer turned on, it will remember this, and when i switch back to that computer it turns them on.
KtheC'
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by KtheC' »

I use a IOgear kvm switch. I also use a Logitech wireless trackball. One thing I found out was that
the trackball has several buttons most of which do not work when it runs through the switch.
I have had to use a second mouse for the second computer. I have to have the trackball fully functional for gaming. The keyboard works fine though.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Ace, I'm pretty sure that the computer is responsible for remembering if Caps/Num/Scroll lock are on, not the keyboard or KVM switch. Otherwise, how would MS word be able to turn caps lock off if you accidentally leave it on and start tYPING lIKE tHIS? Or how would MS Windows (or even your system BIOS) be able to switch Num Lock on or off at boot/logon?

IIRC one of the pins on the PS/2 connector is used to tell the keyboard to light up the Caps/Num/Scroll lights. If your keyboard has special LED's such as F-lock, I believe the keyboard's microprocessor is responsible for those.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

DCrazy wrote:Ace, I'm pretty sure that the computer is responsible for remembering if Caps/Num/Scroll lock are on, not the keyboard or KVM switch. Otherwise, how would MS word be able to turn caps lock off if you accidentally leave it on and start tYPING lIKE tHIS? Or how would MS Windows (or even your system BIOS) be able to switch Num Lock on or off at boot/logon?

IIRC one of the pins on the PS/2 connector is used to tell the keyboard to light up the Caps/Num/Scroll lights. If your keyboard has special LED's such as F-lock, I believe the keyboard's microprocessor is responsible for those.
okay, now think about this....does Windows, BIOS or any OS even know that the system is plugged into a KVM Switch? in most cases no they dont. the KVM itself inserts the command on its own.

AFAIK, just about all KVM's with that feature have a silent keystroke logger that specifically watches for those certain keystroke commands, stores them in a simple memory source, recalls them anytime the KVM is switched from one puter to the other and back to the first one.
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

I use a D-Link KVM Switch. I use Vid only, since going from Mac Vid to monitor or Win Vid to Monitor. And since I use seperate key and mice for both machines, Don't have 2 worry about key/mouse interface probs. :D

As far as the vid is concerned, It's just a matter of what computer Vid source is the KVM sending 2d Monitor.
Fus