Merc not working correctly

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Arbitar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Merc not working correctly

Post by Arbitar »

*sigh* These things always happen to me :P

OK. Heres what happened. I got merc. Very recently. I installed it. Everythings good. I went into D3. Perfect so far. I selected 'Descent 3: Mercenary'. All good. On the 1st mission I noted some static. I knew (from a friend telling me) that there were lots of merc-specifix textures in level 5. So out of curiosity of this problem I jumped to level 5. Ow... lookie:

Any suggestions? I reinstalled Merc already. Didnt work. Also note the 2 objects up there. I'm sure thats not whats supposed to be up there, considering when I mess up making a custom object in D3edit/Oofedit, thats what shows up ingame. My only thought is that the merc.hog isnt functioning. Anyone got any help? :? :cry:
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

You haven't toyed with any of the tablefiles have you?
Arbitar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arbitar »

Nope.
Krags
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Krags »

We've seen problems that pop up with new installations of Mercenary before. Often times the solution is a particular sequence of installs and patches... something like install 1.0, play a few seconds of a level, install Merc, play a few seconds of a level, patch to 1.4. See if that works.
Boo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Boo »

I usually go install d3>patch to 1.4>install merc. That default texture usually appears if you join a b-side level or something like that without merc installed.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The "correct" way to install it is to install D3, then merc, then patch to 1.4.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

yes merc is d3 v1.2 or 1.3, that could cause probs if you install it on a already patched d3 1.4
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

yep yep patching to 1.4 then merc(1.3) then to 1.4 again = DUMB!
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

But, if you ask me, so is this voodoo patching technique floating around, where, if I recall correctly, involves patching to 1.2, loading up a level and shooting three super lasers at precisely 48 degrees northwest, quitting, installing Merc, twice, scratching your ass, then logging onto PXO before proceeding to patch to 1.4.

But, yeah, the install game, install expansion, install patch logic is a good idea for any game, even though most are smart enough to not crash and burn if you don't.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Just out of curiosity, how would the dual-jewel patch fit into this sequence? Would you install Merc, use the patch, and then upgrade to 1.4, or instead use the patch before installing Merc?
Arbitar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arbitar »

Thanks for all your help Guys :D I got it up and running and it looks great :)

Thanks again! :D
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Top Gun wrote:Just out of curiosity, how would the dual-jewel patch fit into this sequence? Would you install Merc, use the patch, and then upgrade to 1.4, or instead use the patch before installing Merc?
Install D3/Merc -> DJ Patch -> 1.4 IIRC