Need to get updates for new XP install.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Need to get updates for new XP install.

Post by De Rigueur »

I'm putting together a second computer (both are XP Pro) and was wondering if there was a way to avoid spending several hours downloading MS windows updates (I'm on a dial up). Is there some way to copy the XP updates from one machine to another? Or some other shortcut?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

you could make a new XP install cd with all the KB updates installed.

but I wouldn't have a clue on going about doing that.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I have yet to try this myself, but take the Windows Update folder in Program files from the computer with all of the downloaded updates in it and copy it into your new computer. YOu will still have to select the updates to install, but at that point it will just "confirm" what you have and install whats already downloaded.

That to me would be the least troublesome way of doing it.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Yo Rig,

You'll need to Slipstream. I did it with my XP home version and it works well. Unfortunatly you will need to download the huge Windows XP SP1 network install. The good news is next time you reinstall you will save a lot of time. (assuming SP2 isn't out yet Image)

Anyway... BAM!: http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/w ... ootcd.html
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by JMEaT:
<b>
Unfortunatly you will need to download the huge Windows XP SP1 network install. </b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, that file is 125 meg. I don't know how many installs I would need to do to reach the break-even point.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by De Rigueur:
Yea, that file is 125 meg. I don't know how many installs I would need to do to reach the break-even point.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but downloading that will save you several dozen MB of downloads. Image

At any rate, you can download the hotfixes from the Microsoft Download Center. Image
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by De Rigueur:
Yea, that file is 125 meg. I don't know how many installs I would need to do to reach the break-even point.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the only way to do what you are asking about. Unless you ghost your drive after installing Windows and the updates you want.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Or pay the $9.95 shipping and handling cost to get the updates on CD. That would probably offset the cost of the phone bill you would rack up downloading the SP1 files. Then all you need are the smaller Critical Update downloads.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by JMEaT:
<b> (assuming SP2 isn't out yet Image)

</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't the anticipated SP2 released instead as an "update rollup"?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

SP2 is due out this month...
MD1075
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD1075 »

Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Bah SP2 isn't due until this summer. Image

I have an ISO of a Microsoft Windows Security CD that contains all critical updates for Win2k, WinXP, Win98 and WinMe (including all Service Packs) up until February this year that I downloaded off some IRC channel. I guess if anyone was ever interested, I could send it to someone willing to host, but I don't think that will help here the present situation.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

It turns out the SP1 download was about 32 meg. I'll probably buy the sp2 cd when it comes out.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

Microsoft has a free Windows Security Update CD. Only updates through 10/2003 though.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Just about to post that. Image
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

It turns out the SP1 download was about 32 meg. I'll probably buy the sp2 cd when it comes out.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You didn't get the entire SP1, just the files you needed. You only downloaded the net installer. The *full* SP1 installer is 128MB.