Disable Windows update

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Disable Windows update

Post by thewolfe »

How do I disable Windows update so that it does not startup in the System tray and remind me "it's time to update"?

I do not want it done automatically. I want to go manually to M$ when I choose.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

My Computer > Properties > Automatic Updates > Uncheck.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Thanks, I'm working on someones computer and it's been so long since I tweaked mine, I couldn't remember.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Bad idea.

Just let windows handle it all automatically. Why on EARTH would you want to stop it running? People like you are responsible for massive trojan infections when you forget to update regularly.

GRRRR.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Like myself, she doesn't use Outlook, Media player......

No need to take a chance on an update fowling things up and using HD space.

Thast's my take on it although I see your point.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

I just turned mine off because it was never able to install the single update it kept finding =P.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
<b> Bad idea.

Just let windows handle it all automatically. Why on EARTH would you want to stop it running? People like you are responsible for massive trojan infections when you forget to update regularly.

GRRRR.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because some people actually keep up with the important updates manually. Image Don't be a such generalizing dickhead Mobius. I've got it off on my box too, and I've yet to get infected with anything. What does it matter anyways? MS is on a monthly-release schedule so all it takes is a few minutes at the start of every month and you're up-to-date.

thewolfe: While you're there, disable Remote Access as well.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by thewolfe:
<b> Like myself, she doesn't use Outlook, Media player......

No need to take a chance on an update fowling things up and using HD space.

Thast's my take on it although I see your point.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as you keep up to date. The blaster outbreak took advantage of an exploit in the RPC service, which is as much a part of XP as chocolate chips are to cookies. I still know people who get the bloody virus. Firewalling yourself would work in this instance, but critical updates are a much safer bet.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
People like you are responsible for massive trojan infections when you forget to update regularly.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Mobi wonders why he is a Phase shifting, packet droping skipmaster! ROFL what A TOOL

Mobitroll© Strikes again!

You can access windows update in XP in two locations for manual updates.
~ control panel on left
~ menubar/tools in IE
critical update are the only ones that matter.

There are still 7 non critical Windows updates that are useless, unless you have MCE XP. Also one hardware driver and 1 Certified NVIDIA update that is the BUGGY version from October
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Here! Here!
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by BUBBALOU:
There are still 7 non critical Windows updates that are useless, unless you have MCE XP. Also one hardware driver and 1 Certified NVIDIA update that is the BUGGY version from October</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh...automatic update only installs critical updates. Meaning stuff that fixes a vulnerability.

Not running automatic updates is like putting your seatbelt on when you see a car coming. It's the one thing I think Microsoft has done right and if everyone ran it we wouldn't have known vulnerabilities exploited. Sorry, but you're being assine. Image
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

And I believe MS releases Critical Updates on an as-needed basis. The other updates keep to the monthly schedule.

People who don't automatically download updates/upgrades are the reason viruses such as SQL Slammer were able to spread despite the flaw being fixed seven months prior.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<- doesn't run auto update in the background and has yet to get infected with ANYTHING

I say again, as long as you check regularly you should be fine. I find auto update a major pain in the ass. The second MS releases some insignifigant update, it'll harass you to get it until you actually do or kill the service. This "feature" has been around since the Windows 98 days, only it wasn't built into the OS. You actually had to install that "update". The only reason MS Blast and its variants got around so much is not because of people like me, but rather the ignorant people that just expect their computer to work all the time no matter what.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by DCrazy:
And I believe MS releases Critical Updates on an as-needed basis. The other updates keep to the monthly schedule.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Every critical update I've seen them release, they waited until the end of the month to release it.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

You can choose to ignore specific updates, you know.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

I just don't like the thing reminding me all the time.