Descent 1 Fast Game

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

DescentMan04
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent 1 Fast Game

Post by DescentMan04 »

Hi, I have Windows XP and im playing Descent 1 on it and when I load up the first level my ship is really jumpy, my lasers shoot really fast, I cant turn very quickly though and the bots just jump around quickly like they are on steroids or something. Does anybody know how to fix this? Descent 2 when i play it also only allows me to chose 640x480 resoulution and everything is all pixelated and D2x doesnt seem to work all too well on there and ive tried D1x for descent 1 and it wont load. I used to play these all the time on windows 95/98 but now I can only play descent 3. Too bad I dont have a vodoo card or I could play the D13dfx but I can only play D1x because I have a regular high end video card. Id really like to be able to play descent with it looking more modern and less pixelated.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Let me start by saying that your solutions *are* going to be D1- and D2x, so your only bet is going to be getting these to work. With that said, what goes wrong?

For D1x, create (modify) a d1x.ini file in your Descent folder (for D2x, d2x.ini, respectively) and try putting (or adding)
-fullscreen
as a line. Probably the most common problem people experience is in regards to running in a window or running in a window and trying to switch to full screen in-game.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

You'll have to hunt around for the OpenGL version of D1x. As for D2x, it runs quite stable on my machine. What build did you download? I'm running the CVS build dated 11/7/2003 with a replaced SDL dll. (v1.2.6) The D2x build I'm using should still be on the D2x website. As for SDL, do a search here on the DBB. It was posted in a D2x thread in the Cafe a few months ago. If I remember correctly, Tyranny was the one that posted it.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

I have been doing some of my own modifications to the D2X source, and have come up with this:

http://thunderbird8.no-ip.info/Files/d2xgl.zip

SDL.dll, SDL_mixer.dll (required by some of the modifications I've done) are in that zip file. And of course the EXE itself.

This seems to be a bit crash happy in some custom missions, so watch yourself and save often.

(EDIT)Just for those who are wondering, the only thing I've done is add MIDI music support back in. It might fail at points, but should remedy itself when a new music file is requested. D1 missions will not play music unless you convert the HMP files to MID, as SDL_mixer does not understand the HMP format (and the one included with the D2X source is very broken).