What is the best video capture card for the buck?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

What is the best video capture card for the buck?

Post by Sage »

I've been looking around and there are many Video Capture cards to choose from! I was wondering if you guys know of any kind that is good. I'm going to use the card for recording windows desktop (games on the computer and stuff) and record from VCR/TV. Thank you
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I hear ATi puts out some good TV capture cards.
Teddy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Teddy »

IF your looking for a standalone tv card, the best one to get as far as image quality is the Compro VideoMate TV Ultra(if you live in the US or Japan(NTSC brocast). It has lots of features that improve the image quality and reduce static. This card is only standard tv resolutions. there are also HDtv tuners but im not sure which is the best...
As far as ati tv tuners go, the AIW cards arnt bad, but if you get the latest and gratest, dont be shocked if it takes ATI 3 to 6 months to iron out the bugs first. And by all means, stay away from thier tv wonder/ tv wonder pro cards. they get absoltly horrible support(ask anyone who had on how long it took to get a winxp driver for the darn thing... over 1 1/2 years was not excusable(expecially since it is still buggy to boot).
IF you'd like to see alot of reviews on capture cards check out www.tv-cards.com
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Leadtek TV2000XP

Hands down. I've got this card and its WONDERFUL! Captures at DVD quality (if you're using svideo) without dropping a single frame. Even has an AM/FM tuner and a IR remote for the lazy schmucks among us.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Can video capture cards record your desktop to a movie file on your computer? Or do you have do record to VHS, then use the capture card to capture the VHS back on your computer?

We have recorded onto VHS with my brother's Radeon, but I was wondering if the video capture card can do this, since my GFX Card doesn't have a video out.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

You don't need a video card for that.

you'd use something like hypersnap DX if you want to make movies of what happens on your desktop
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

I know there is software for recording what happens on the desktop but those eat up sysytem resources which make games run slow, and recording game footage is what I want to do.

When we recorded through my bro's GFX Card to VHS the game ran as smooth as butter and the output onto VHS was smoother than butter even! I think this is how the pro's do it.

But yeh I'll check out that Hypersnap DX