Genesis capsule crashes

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Genesis capsule crashes

Post by Top Gun »

Damn it. The Genesis capsule containing samples of the solar wind crashed into the desert floor. Apparently, the parachute and drogue didn't properly deploy. The stunt pilots who were supposed to catch it didn't even get a shot. It's likely that those samples are completely destroyed. There goes several years of planning and years of potential research :(.

Source: NASA
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I bet its the feet -> meters blunder striking again. ;)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

that had to hurt!
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

:(
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

OOOH. That's gonna leave a mark.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

And to think all the money put into this could've been put to better use....like fixing the shuttles (or building brand new ones).
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

^
Indeed.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I just wonder what got set loose.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Particles that hit our atmosphere daily?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

MD, I think the budget for this project was $280 million or so. That doesn't even cover the cost of one shuttle launch, much less building a new one/refurbishing the current ones. This would have been invaluable to science...an actual sample of the solar wind. Damn, I wanted this thing to work :(.

Woodchip, it's just a bunch of charged particles, not an alien retrovirus :P.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Well that sucks.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I saw this on the news. As it hit the ground at 100+ MPH, I pictured the flying dirt/debris as dollar bills.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

cool Video. First identifiable flying saucer, well ... tumbling saucer.

It's always a bummer when something like this happens. Glad it wasn't manned.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Top Gun wrote:That doesn't even cover the cost of one shuttle launch, much less building a new one/refurbishing the current ones.

how much does a single Shuttle cost?

EDIT: Nvm 2.2 Billion
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

What a waste of government money. :roll:
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

"He fall down go BOOOOM!!!!" - Tweety Bird
Viralphrame
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Viralphrame »

Jagger wrote:What a waste of government money. :roll:
F8ck knowledge and research in the ass, man, seriously. :|

[/sarcasm]
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

Jagger wrote:What a waste of government money. :roll:
Waste? It would be a waste if they were launching it into orbit. every dime goes into the world economy, not a bad thing in my opinion. :)
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

These science missions are a drop in the barrel of the space shuttle pork-barrel boondoggle. Additionally, they accomplish something other than PR, unlike the Space Shuttle.

Time to get a cost-effective SSTO system into place before it is too late.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i say take all that money that was wasted and put it into a system dedicated to the ISS.

a vehicle thats reusable, can carry both supplies and personel to and from the Station.
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

it is unfortunate that exploartions cost so much, and i do support space exploartion and such, but the amount of money spent for whats ends up as charred metals? maybe its time for NASA to explore their flight plans until they are perfect.

thats a lottttta tax dollas.. :!:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Otherwise we have a really expensive paper weight on our hands now.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

JMEaT wrote:I saw this on the news. As it hit the ground at 100+ MPH, I pictured the flying dirt/debris as dollar bills.
It hit around 190MPH. ;) Whatever's in there is almost certainly trashed.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

MD-2389 wrote:
JMEaT wrote:I saw this on the news. As it hit the ground at 100+ MPH, I pictured the flying dirt/debris as dollar bills.

its funny how, it was only going 190 MPH, when the Space Shuttle Touches down at Edwards AFB or Kennedy Airfield @ 298 MPH
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

AceCombat wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:

its funny how, it was only going 190 MPH, when the Space Shuttle Touches down at Edwards AFB or Kennedy Airfield @ 298 MPH
the space shuttle is more aerodynamic than a flying pot.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Battlebot wrote:
AceCombat wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:

the space shuttle is more aerodynamic than a flying pot.

but at the same time, what speed would a Apollo capsule hit the earth if it failed to deply its chutes? probably in the area of 800+ MPH

the shuttle has speed brakes that its using on pretty much its entire glide back to a landing, after its gone through the atmosphere above speeds of 800MPH, its the only way to keep it from overshooting a runway.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

AceCombat wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:

The tumbling probably slowed it down a little. Besides, the large surface area on the bottom added alot of wind resistance into the equation, which undoubtedly slowed it down quite a bit.
but at the same time, what speed would a Apollo capsule hit the earth if it failed to deply its chutes? probably in the area of 800+ MPH
The Apollo capsules have a HELL of alot more mass than a dinky little pot. The larger mass + pull of gravity = faster rate of descent.
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

HaAGen DaZS wrote:it is unfortunate that exploartions cost so much, and i do support space exploartion and such, but the amount of money spent for whats ends up as charred metals? maybe its time for NASA to explore their flight plans until they are perfect.

thats a lottttta tax dollas.. :!:
My point exactly. Though I don't particularly care. I'll pay my taxes anyways, just seems to me there's better things they could be doing than collecting sun particles...
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

what really matters isn't the mass -- it's the terminal velocity, which is a function of mass and surface area. Basically, it's the speed at which the air resistance exactly cancels out the force of gravity. If an object reaches that speed when falling, it will stay at that speed. If it's moving faster, the air will slow it down; if it's moving slower, gravity will speed it up.

I seriously doubt the Apollo capsule would have had a terminal velocity of 800+ MPH. But if anyone is curious, you can certainly do the research and do the math.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

im not very good with math like that, ill pass
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

MD-2389 wrote:The larger mass + pull of gravity = faster rate of descent.
Oh, no! Galileo was wrong!
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

"The larger mass + pull of gravity = faster rate of descent."

/me smacks MD with a physics lesson

All objects, regardless of mass, fall at the same rate of descent.

why do you think a feather falls as fast as an anvil in a vacuuum? or when a baseball pitcher, no matter the speed he throws the ball at, ends up at the ground at the same time?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

MD, try this simple experiment:

Stand on a chair and drop a piece of paper. Then pick up the paper, crumple it into a ball, and drop it again. Did you change the mass of the ball? Then why'd it fall faster the second time? ;)

Mass will affect inertia and momentum, but that comes into play after the force (in this case gravity) is removed from the object.
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

DC your readers digest physics never ceases to amuse me. You dance a fine jig with the point, narrowly avoid it, and manage to leave your position attackable. No offense though mate ;)

MD: Gravity pushes everything just as hard. But it's not the only force at work. The most important with falling objects is resistance created by the medium the oject is passing through (air, if it falls from sky to ground). Air does NOT push everything just as hard, chiefly because it can only push surface area.

Big things get slowed down by air (any gas or liquid, solids for that matter) more than small things, but big things don't get sped up by gravity more than small things.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Right, kinda. On a cosmic level, the force of attraction between two objects is directly related to the product of the two masses, and inversely related to the square of the distance between the CMs of the two objects. link

From Newton's 2nd law, we get F = ma, therefore (through a little algebra) we see that the acceleration of an object, due to earth's gravitational pull, is independant of the object's mass. (a = G * M earth/distance^2) Note: the acceleration of the object relative to the earth technically is related to its mass, because the earth accelerates slightly toward the object, increasing their relative acceleration slightly. The only time that anyone cares is when the mass of the object approaches the same order of magnitude as that of the earth - I.E. anything smaller than the moon won't result in any readable difference. Also, the acceleration due to gravity is affected by distance from the center of the earth, but again noone cares till you're well out in space. (I think satellites see about .01m/s^2 difference)

That being said- the paper analogy has to do with aerodynamics - the surface area and shape of the surface effect the way the air flows around the object as it drops. The more the object disrupts the flow, the more force the air will exert on the object. Note that this force is related to velocity, also, so the faster you try to go, the more it resists. "Terminal Velocity" is the term they use for the speed something is falling when the air resists gravity with the same force as gravity is "pulling" - depending on the shape of your object the terminal velocity will be different. That's a bit more extensive way of saying what PR did. Note that Surface area isn't really the issue with fluids - it's shape/orientation. (if I get any more complicated about that I'll have to throw in laminar/turbulent, and that gets ugly really fast) And, sorry Lothar, but terminal velocity could care less about mass, too. It's a function of geometry, viscosity & density of the fluid, and velocity (vector) of the flow.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Actually Stuart... Terminal Velocity should depend on mass, because it's the point at which the two forces (gravity and air resistance) balance. Gravitational force depends on mass, and resistance doesn't, so the mass will stick around in the final equation:

F_grav = m*g
F_air = A/2*d*r*v^2
where A = area, d = drag coeff, r = air density

When those two are equal, you get terminal velocity.

m*g = A/2*d*r*v^2

Solve for v, and you get
v = sqrt(2*m*g/A*d*r)

Which does, in fact, depend on mass. On the NASA site I linked to, it replaces m*g with W, the weight.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hm, an equation for air resistance. Cool.

By the way, when the space shuttle lands at 300 or so MPH, hardly any of it is vertical velocity. That's how it stays in one piece.

On the other hand, if you have probes falling from the sky like meteorites, chances are most of their velocity will be vertical.

Looking (in a flawed way) on the bright side: how many jobs does NASA create? :)
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I love it when you guys get all sexy and talk science
:P
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

$280m isn't that much, in perspective. That's what..a week in Iraq? The gains in knowledge are worth it. Too bad it goofed.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

this mission was using aerogel to catch the solar wind right? nifty stuff.

good thing they had their cameras' sights on it while it plummeted to the ground. coz it sure did look cool how it splatted into the ground like that.

so it's not all bad news, we got some cool splat footage. cool splat footage always makes people smile a little.

:lol: