FPS recommendations

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

FPS recommendations

Post by Dedman »

I am looking at getting into a FPS that has a descent SP mode and a really good (and easy to use) MP mode. Does such an animal exist?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Unreal Tournament GOTY Edition is about all I can think of. Depends on your SP requirements. (I play the bots all the time, better than online, imo)
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

I second UT:GOTY. It's a little older but its a blast. Half-life has a really good SP mode, and for the MP mode you can download Counterstrike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, etc. Or you could just play classic HL deathmatch, which is zany fun.

I really enjoyed Halo online, but I know a bunch of people here quit playing it for one reason or another.
[DWL]Punk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [DWL]Punk »

Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam (weak SP, great MP)
FarCry (great SP, Somewhat good MP)
Tribes:Vengence (Good SP, Great MP)
Gran Theft Auto 3 (of course, great SP)
Doom3 (good SP, Crappy MP)
SimCity 4 (tons-o-fun)
Homeworld 2 (great SP, MP isn't much different)
UT2004 (good SP, great MP)

all in all.. the battlefield series and UT2004 are the most bang for the buck. Both have a huge mod community
(BF42: Desert combat, Forgotten hope, BF:V: Point of existence, EA's WWII mod, UT2004: Red orchestra, Frag ops, and many, many more.)
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

I've been playing Battlefield Vietnam a lot lately (MP) and it is great fun (team play in this game rules), but it is a resource hog. I had 512M on a P4 2.4 and it ran just ok. I doubled the memory and now it runs fantastic. Memory is everything to this game. FX5600Ultra vid card for me. Never even considered the single player portion, so I don't know if that is any good.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

I'd have to agree with punk. ut2004 and the battlefield series are some of the best games I've played in a while. The 1942 desert combat mod is one of the coolest mods ever.

And since noboby's caught this yet, no game's got a deScent SP mode except, well, descent :P
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Have you ever tried Deus Ex? Not Deus Ex: Invisible War but the first one from 2000. Multiplayer aint good but the singleplayer is a blast. I highly reccomend it, its easy to get in to and builds up as you play along.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i play Halo here and there, my primary FPS Game is America's Army

America's Army
[DWL]Punk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [DWL]Punk »

Americas Army.. ew

F a facist government created game that contridicts itself when it comes to all of the republicans whining about violent video games. Americas Army is a brainwashing tool.

smoke a bowl and play Homeworld 2, it's wonderful!
Fezzik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fezzik »

It doesn't have multiplayer, but Thief : Deadly Shadows (the third in the series) is the best single player game I've played in a long time. (well, since the original Thief) :)
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

Dammit, i swore i wasnt gonna play that... now i gotta
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition (UT GOTY) is probably the best PC game $10 can buy. Dayum, that game is fun. In addition to a robust multiplayer mode with countless mods and user-made maps, it also has several fan-made single-player campaigns for you to try (like Operation Na-Pali and Xidia Gold).
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Looks like I may give UT GOTY a try. Thanks guys.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Oh ya, Check out Unreal Gold. Large SP. Not much for MP tho', that's what UTGOTY was for.

I'm going through Unreal Gold again for kicks. Been a while, I almost forget the levels.
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

Thief 1 and 2 absolutely rock. Dunno about 3, doesn't run so well on my machine.

Deus Ex is simply awesome. I've played through it to the end countless times, and every time I fire it up, I run across something different I've NEVER seen before. Tremendous game...
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Testiculese wrote:Oh ya, Check out Unreal Gold. Large SP. Not much for MP tho', that's what UTGOTY was for.
Right, but UTGOTY actually has all of the core content of the original Unreal sans the maps. So, all of the enemies still exist in UTGOTY. That's why a lot of user-made campaigns (Xidia Gold, Operation: Na-Pali, and soon 7 Bullets) use them. :)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Ya, I just d/l Operation Na-Pali, I'm gonna check it out.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

I play Battlefield Vietnam (the Point of Existence mod) and I have to say it is great. The only thing bad about it is those f8cking Canadians and Sweeds that made BFV need to get better at programming. Doom3 has WAY better graphics, and runs a hell of alot better. They also need to fix some lag issues.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

wtf is up with lag? Why can't they make a game without lag already? ;)
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

The Battlefield developers are crappy at making games. Hell the game even CRASHES when you make to many effects in your mod.
Anyways, that new Tribes Vengeance game is good.
Fezzik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fezzik »

Jagger wrote:Thief 1 and 2 absolutely rock. Dunno about 3, doesn't run so well on my machine.
Well, the minimum requirements are a bit hefty, but it's almost worth upgrading your system just to play it. The quality of gameplay exceeds the first 2 (that's a huge accomplishment), and the graphics are right up there with Doom 3. It didn't have as many scary missions in it, but let's just say I NEVER want to go back to The Shalebridge Cradle again (a haunted former orphanage and insane asylum). :|
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

Fezzik wrote:... but it's almost worth upgrading your system just to play it... It didn't have as many scary missions in it, but let's just say I NEVER want to go back to The Shalebridge Cradle again (a haunted former orphanage and insane asylum). :|
Oh, believe me, I INTEND to upgrade just to play this game! :D New vid card should tide me over.