Brace yourselves, Doom movie confirmed...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Brace yourselves, Doom movie confirmed...

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Yes, they're really going to do it. This could either be very bad, or mildy good.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I see nothing good coming of this.
BlueFlames
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BlueFlames »

Hmmm... Another game with no plot getting made into a movie... Sounds like it's going to be Tomb Raider, minus Angelina Jolie's breasts. That simply won't do.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

Dedman wrote:I see nothing good coming of this.
Agreed.
Look how well the descent TV series went over.

Exactly! I never heard of it either, til i was thumbing thru the may 1997 issue of my favorite bunny clad entertainment for men magazine and saw ths lil quip in the "wired" section.
==================================================

"Must see TV: Descent,the blockbuster network game by interplay,is being made into a television pilot.Look for it's debut on nbc this fall."
==================================================

I myself don't remember seeing that pilot.

EDIT* Found this lil quip about the movie from here.

There were rumors of a Descent movie. A script was commissioned for an NBC TV movie but then was decided to be adapted for movie theaters, Interplay Productions, the owner and publisher of the Descent games, created a division called Interplay Movies that was going to develop popular Interplay franchises at the time the company was created into movies, one of them was Descent, the last known update was way back in 1999 and no new information has since been released so it is considered as dead. Interplay Movies reportedly successfully got Redneck Rampage made into a movie, although it has never surfaced.

That explains that.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

We must track down this wayward pilot episode! To the mystery machine!
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

As a side note, I just like how they list Karl Urban as starring in something like "Chronicles of Riddick." Um, hello? Can anyone think of a multi-billion dollar epic trilogy that would get infinitely more name recognition? :P
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

If they did this right, it would be very good. Doom has a good plot hiding in the bowels of the game.

Then again, Hollywood *always* manages to screw up a good story. It'll be interesting to see.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

i have to agrees Nitro. The recent release of Doom had a great story line for one that is woven into the game. it was basically a movie with a lot of FPS stuff between cinimas
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Doom has already been made as a movie a thousand times over. B grade horror
Instig8
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Instig8 »

Yah. I agree. That movie would suck bawls.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Why is it that the majority of video game-based movies suck? A clear dichotomy - interactive versus passive.

Video games are practically by definition interactive experiences. You are the protagonist and the game circles around you and the decisions to choose to make.

Movies, by definition, tend to be passive experiences. Someone else wrote the script, someone else is the protagonist, and you're just along for the ride, watching the story unfold in front of you with no ability to affect or change it. You don't get to jump in, manipulate the set, and change the final outcome. A movie is usually a linear experience from beginning to end with no deviation.

When you try to turn a video game into a movie, the dichotomy is what traps you. You're taking a concept born with the player in mind and extrapolating it out into a third-person experience the viewer has no control over.

Take Resident Evil for example. It's a creepy video game to be sure. And part of that factor is in roaming the dark hallways for yourself and discovering what is lurking in every crevice. You aren't watching other people go through a haunted mansion with a basement laboratory; you are going through a haunted mansion with a basement laboratory. It's not to say you couldn't make a scary movie with the concept, but it wouldn't work the same way (and certainly it would take more effort than the Resident Evil movie actually put in with its very cheesy rubber-faced zombies).

It works better in the opposite direction though. Consider James Bond. Suave and debonair, he's the quintessential super spy with the crazy gizmos, cool cars, and always gets the babe in the end. What makes a Bond movie exciting is the things Bond does to thwart the obligatory megalomanical bad guy. We could never do the things Bond does if he were a real person, but in our imaginations, we think that would be cool. A video game adaptation of Bond, then, allows us to step into his shoes and become that character (the fact that the "babe" at the end is polygonal is so noted).
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

I had hopes when this was announced, but after finding out that they change the story for the film, it looks like hollywood has slaughtered another game.

Instead of them fighting demons from hell, they will be on some remote planet fighting aliens.

im not saying it will be good or bad, but we've seen the same ol space marines vs aliens time and time again.

they should have stuck to the demon/mars story
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

roid wrote:Doom has already been made as a movie a thousand times over. B grade horror
Word! I almost feel like I'm cheating when I play because years of watching bad movies gives me insight into what's going to happen next.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Aug 5 2005? Wow.. Isn't that a really really short production time?

That gives some foreshadowing unto the quality of the film IMO...
XSabre
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by XSabre »

Well if theyre basing it from Doom 3 and have about the same amount of lighting in the game, there wont be much to see in the movie anyhow ;)
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

BlueFlames wrote:Sounds like it's going to be Tomb Raider, minus Angelina Jolie's breasts. That simply won't do.
Your logic is impeccable.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Defender wrote:Aug 5 2005? Wow.. Isn't that a really really short production time?

That gives some foreshadowing unto the quality of the film IMO...
Shades of Wing Commander...

Which consequently leads to a personal point. You know, the original Super Mario Bros. movie was kinda' stupid and fun. And one of the things it had going for it was that it never took itself that seriously. It's something that seems to trip up a lot of video game based movies - that they take themselves way too seriously for their own good. I.e., Wing Commander.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Kyouryuu wrote:And one of the things it had going for it was that it never took itself that seriously. It's something that seems to trip up a lot of video game based movies - that they take themselves way too seriously for their own good. I.e., Wing Commander.
John Leguizamo certainly helped out with that aspect. :P
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

If they would have just taken the cutscenes from WC4 and made them into a movie-- now there's a good movie.