Entropy Nights?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Entropy Nights?

Post by Top Gun »

Has anyone heard anything from Solo over the past several months? A while back, he hosted a few Entropy nights to try to get some interest back into Entropy. I was able to make it to one, and it was a total blast, especially with using Teamspeak. :) I was just wondering if anyone's had any contact with Solo recently, or if anyone would be interested in trying another Entropy Night.

Edit: Here's the original topic about it.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

I would play in a heartbeat
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Same, if I have time the night it's on. We need more of this type of thing to promote diversity (rather than anarchy, TA, or CTF).
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *Javed* »

Even if Solo isn't around, we can still find a night to play entropy. I havent played some in a while myself. Anyone else up for it?
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

I'd be up for it :)
SQN has a Team Speak server that I'm prety sure they would let us use.
iten
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by iten »

I'd play, Entropy sounds really cool.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

KompresZor wrote:I'd be up for it :)
SQN has a Team Speak server that I'm prety sure they would let us use.
Only if y'all teach me entropy! ;)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Wow, looks like we might get something going here. :) Last time this went on, we used the #300baud Entropy set, which has some very good levels in it. Of course, there's always the classic Steel Vapor, as well. :D
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I might show up for one, would be fun.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Top Gun wrote:Wow, looks like we might get something going here. :) Last time this went on, we used the #300baud Entropy set, which has some very good levels in it. Of course, there's always the classic Steel Vapor, as well. :D
Right on. The #300baud levels are great. But I can clearly remember my first game of entropy in Steel Vapor.

All someone needs to do is set up a server and I'd camp out in it.
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *Javed* »

We always have Esa. All we really need is more players
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

I've been running an entropy game on one of my servers for a long time. The only problem is my server in Seattle is having 'issues' with the game trackers. If any one is VERY good with the inner workings (heartbeat and status stuff) of the gamespy trackers I could use some help.

RC
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

I'd be willing to donate a TS server with places for red and blue teams seperately @ full codec bandwidth if you guys get a schedule going.
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *Javed* »

Awsome Stress. I'll hold on to yah on that one.

So when is a good day/time for people? I was thinking the night before Veterans Day maybe?
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Javed, I was talking with Psion last night on the TS server.

Well, I think we can get some pretty good support for this. But lets make a new thread (you) called Forsaken Revival.

Today I made a new OPT file (GFX driver file) for nVidia cards in Forsaken that uses triliniar filtering, will go to 1024x768, allows for up to 128 megs texture memory and it all runs on a vanilla gforce 5700 @ 1024 @ 520 FPS with no tweaks. ;)

It's 54k and you just drop it in the Acclaim\forsaken]opt folder. Then you chose it at launch.

Dedicated servers. This is where you come in. Do you have any info about how/server tools/CFGs? I'd like to learn that part now
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Forsaken Revival

Post by *Javed* »

Double post..please ignore
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *Javed* »

Dedicated servers. This is where you come in. Do you have any info about how/server tools/CFGs? I'd like to learn that part now
I'm a complete newb with this stuff.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

Tell you what Stress, you get me the software and I'll set it up and figure it out for you.

RC
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *Javed* »

hmm. the whole idea of 'entropy night' just died =/
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

No it didn't; we all still want to play. :) Let's try to figure out a good night for everyone. What's best, weeknights, weekends? If it were me, I would say a weekend, since I have schoolwork during the week, but I could cram some Entropy in too. 8)
iten
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by iten »

I would also vote for a weekend. I just played some Entropy with Stryker and other people, and it was rather fun, though I can't ever get enough kills to do much.

So as long as we had enough people so that I wouldn't matter, it'd be fun. :)
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

GG iten. I think the majority of D3ers like entropy, we just never see any games up. If you see an entropy game up, jump in! there's a high probability that someone'll join up too.
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *Javed* »

sweet. I see RC already has a server up. Come on people, we needa agree on a day. If this thread falls down again, I'm just gonna let it go. So how bout next Friday night?
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

I'm up for Entropy. You'll just have to specify a time, and day. I can then let you know if I'll be able to make it.

It would probably be nice to perhaps have some mailing list to let those of us who want to know about Descent 3 events such as these known so we could make the time to attend.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Next Friday night, as in November 12, sounds good to me. What's everyone else's opinion? As for time, we need to have something that's late enough for West Coasters but not too late for East Coasters (my apologies to any foreign players, but you can't do too much about a 12-hour time difference :P). 9:30 EST seems to work well for the D2 Revivals; how does that sound?

P.S. Could we possibly get this thread stickied?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Pocket is total fun in a 2v2 ! Go play some !
iten
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by iten »

Friday night sounds good for me Top Gun.

Blah, now I'll actually have to learn how to play well . :D
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *Javed* »

Sorry guys. I might have a killzone match on friday night. how bout saturday night?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Depending on everyone else's opinion, that would still work for me. We still need a lot more feedback, though.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

fri or sat, doesn't matter to me.
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

I doubt I'm going to be able to play this Friday-Sun. I'll be leaving town. I will have my laptop with me, but I don't have a viable Joystick to play with.

The laptop only has USB ports, and my joystick is a gameport. I've been meaning to upgrade it, but haven't yet got the money.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

the idea of an entropy night sounds good. we have some kind of ctf-sunday from the descentforum.de forum and that is going quite successfull. some sundays up to 18 players showing up in the evening.

here is how we do the organizing:

we have 2 teamcaptains for red and blue, during the week one is posting a poll for the level that should be played.
on sunday evening the poll is done, 3 irc-channels are prepared (1 for team selection, 1 for team red and one for team blue) the server is running (on hidden port) and a ts-server is up.

now a time is given for team selections, the captains choose players from the people in general chat 1 by 1. the teams are usually well balanced cause of the selection. once the teams are done both teams go into the teamchannels and talk about game tactics, positions /roles for the players and so on. if that is finished captians give the server ip/port to the players and player join.

this usually takes 30 mins to 1 hour , then the game starts. after the game is played stats are posted in a special thread and the we start posting fun stuff at each other hehe.

all this works good and provides lots of fun, more and more player coming in for the sunday-ctf. btw it turned out that most time that team losses whos players have a lack of disciplin and dont do what the captain says ;)

so probabyl it would be possible to establish such a procedure for an sunday entropy match? that would rock.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

DigiJo, that sounds like a very good system. However, for this idea to really take off, we need a few people to step up and take over, particularly those who are on the better side at Entropy. I'm not much more than an Entropy n00b myself. So, who wants the job of Entropy Demigod? :P
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Stryker wrote:fri or sat, doesn't matter to me.
x2
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

So...are we going to do this, or is there just not enough interest?
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *Javed* »

I'm waiting for more people to say something. seems we only have about 5-6 people.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Yeah, that's not enough for a good game. I'm surprised; last time about 9 or 10 people showed immediate interest. Anyway, if we were to do anything, it definitely wouldn't be tonight; some people a few threads away are organizing a massive 30-person Anarchy game, and I'm definitely there. :)
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Looks like sat. only or very late fri. for me guys, sry.